Mandalorians resemble...

Which military organization do the Mandalorians most closely resemble?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which military organization do the Mandalorians most closely resemble?

• Ancient Greek Spartans
    • Ancient Zulu Warrior
    • British Royal Marines
    • French Army (ha ha ha jk)
    • US Marine Corps
    • US Army Rangers
    • US Navy SEALs
    • Other (please list)

I think that the Mandalorians resember the USMC because of the Core Values the USMC has, like Courage, Honor, and Commitment, "which forms the bedrock of their character. It gives them strength and regulate their behavior".

Honor-

Guides Marines to exemplify the ultimate in ethical and moral behavior: never lie, cheat, or steal; abide by an uncompromising code of integrity; respect human dignity; and respect others. The qualities of maturity, dedication, trust, and dependability commit Marines to act responsibly; to be accountable for their actions; to fulfill their obligations; and to hold others accountable for their actions.

Courage-

Is the mental, moral, and physical strength ingrained in Marines. It carries them through the challenges of combat and aids them in overcoming fear. It is the inner strength that enables a Marine to do what is right; to adhere to a higher standard of personal conduct; to lead by example; and to make tough decisions under stress and pressure.

Commitment-

Is the spirit of determination and dedication found in Marines. It leads to the highest order of discipline for individuals and units. It is the ingredient that enables 24-hours a day dedication to Corps and country. It inspires the unrelenting determination to achieve a standard of excellence in every endeavor.

The Mandalorians seem to abide by these exact code of honor. They're brave and have camadarie. They even seem to act the same way as Marines. I know the Spartans have a code of honor, as well, but I dunno what they exactly are.

Their leadership traits also seem the same.

Bearing, Courage, Decisiveness, Dependability, Endurance, Enthusiasm, Initiative, Integrity, Judgement, Justice, Knowledge, Loyalty, Tact, and Unselfishness make up the USMC leadership traits. Remember when that one Mandalorian in KOTOR 1 who challenged Canderous to a duel because Canderous abandoned some men or something?

Well, I just came back from a recitation of Beowulf, the great Anglo-Saxon war epic, in original Old English, by some professors, me, and a bunch of English and Medieval studies grad students, so I'm biased, but I would certainly say the Mandalorians are more than anything a very generic idealised hero culture of that sort. Early medieval Germanic Europe is just one example, but it tends to be the major source for the general ideal that comes up most often in Sci-Fi/Fantasy literature and film. But really, the notion of a tribal heroic warrior culture (i.e., Pre-Christian) is a pretty standard sci-fi/fantasy theme, and the Star Wars franchise tends to draw on this sort of very standard mythic convention.

I've got to say Spartans.

They each have that 'live by the sword, die by the sword' attitude.

The Mandalorians also appeasr to be fairly closely regimented, like Spartans.

To me, the Mandalorians just resemble Spartans through and through.

What defines the Mandalorians is their willingness to slaughter millions of innocents in order to provoke a response from their enemy. I doubt any of the more modern military organisations listed above would be flattered by the comparison.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

What defines the Mandalorians is their willingness to slaughter millions of innocents in order to provoke a response from their enemy.  I doubt any of the more modern military organisations listed above would be flattered by the comparison.

Indeed, they're a martial culture in the purest barbarian sense. They're not simply conquerors, working towards achieving a state of conquest. They're a martial culture working toward the expression of martial deeds for their own sake. The Spartan comparison certainly works in a number of very good ways (particularly the homosocial character of the culture), but in sheer lust for battle as an inherently worthwhile, sustained pursuit (that is to say one is never not at war - if one lacks for enemies, one seeks more elsewhere), within the western world, only comparison to certain Pre-Christian feudal Germanic cultures can really provide an adequate equivalency I think.

However, the Spartans certainly do have a great deal in common sociologically.

Star Trek has Klingons, Star Wars has Mandalorians.

More adequate is to say that startrek has kilingons and star wars has yuuzhan vong.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

i disagree with marines, or any us military organization.

the fact is mandalorians appear to live to fight.

the usmc is honorable and experienced and professional, however, they live to provide service to USA, whereas mandalorian invasions seem to be spite/battle driven. maybe thats the only difference?

and btw; seals are primarily recon, small strike teams and not a full army as mandalorians.

There is nowt wrong with the french army. More wrong with the American Army. *cough* using people as shields. Have you guys not seen the news. That Apatche pilot who fired on civies. The U.S remind me of the mandaloriens because of brutality, lack of care for other cultures and imperialism.

Full stop.

American fear of too big losses eliminates them as potential Mandalorians.

Americans are also too hypocritical: they hide their brutality behind the veil of hollywood sweet propaganda and present themselves as peaceful nation which they aren't (they're still living on lands belonging to slained indians BTW)

Only Germans with their noble cult of war, their prussian discipline and ordnung, their focus on conquest are similar to Mandalorians. And Germans are descendants

of ancient germanic tribes that ruined decadent Rome. Wehrmacht in WWII was ultra-disciplined army: even in Russia german soldiers weren't stealing and raping

women in a contrary to US savages in Iraq - craddle of human civilization.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Americans are also too hypocritical: they hide their brutality behind the veil of hollywood sweet propaganda and present themselves as peaceful nation which they aren't (they're still living on lands belonging to slained indians BTW)

Anti-americanism is chic these days. I'm not an American, but may I remind that there is also *other* evil in the world. ==> ;), :angry:, ;), etc...

(...) Iraq - craddle of human civilization.

That must have been a very long time ago. ;)

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

Not to be too political or anything...

If you're telling me that America has caused more harm than Europe, you people are sadly mistaken. England, France, Germany, Russia, Spain - they were all empire builders, they all slaughtered people, they conquered, they pillaged, they converted. Compared to the amount of carnage caused by them, America seems like an angel. Let me remind you that the two world wars in this century were caused by Europeans. But, while we're accusing the Europeans, lets not forget others like Imperial China, Rome, Ancient Greece (Alexander the "Great"). I'm not an American and I don't support them. All I'm saying is that this forum doesn't need your anti-American crap.

Secondly, Iraq was not the cradle of human civilization, it was Africa. Please get your facts straight...

COMING BACK TO THE TOPIC

The Mandalorians most closely resemble the Spartans.

Jango was a Mando wasn't he? Temuera Morrison (the actor who was Jango Fett in Ep 2) is from New Zealand...

(AND PREPARE FOR THE LEAP OF LOGIC)

Therefore... Mandalorians best represent the New Zealand defence forces!!!!!!

Jango was a Mando wasn't he? Temuera Morrison (the actor who was Jango Fett in Ep 2) is from New Zealand...

(AND PREPARE FOR THE LEAP OF LOGIC)

Therefore... Mandalorians best represent the New Zealand defence forces!!!!!!

Wow Ni, how did you get from Point A (Aussie forces) to Point B (New Zealand Kiwis)?

A large leap of logic indeed :lol: