Snow Beasts

Even though I've struggled with the ATI tech issues and am praying for a patch soon, I've been able to trudge through most of the game. I am however stuck trying to get past this "larger snow beast" on Mangalor (? I just forget the name of the planet I crashed the Ebon Hawk on). I've gone down through most of the caverns and have beat lots of regular snow beasts but after the walls close on you and you face this greater snow beast, I get killed every time. One or two swats and I'm dead and since you're solo, there's no one to help you out. Is there a preferred weapon or strategy for getting past this. Thanks for any suggestions. :ermm:

Do you mean Storm Beasts?

How really depends on your skills. I could take it out before it killed me, even though it would leave me on low health.

Usual stuff, force speed,flurry etc.

The smaller versions are prone to stasis not sure about the big one. You could always plant a ton of mines before it reacts to you and then lead it through. That will weaken it enough to finish it.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

How really depends on your skills. I could take it out before it killed me, even though it would leave me on low health.

The smaller versions are prone to stasis not sure about the big one. You could always plant a ton of mines before it reacts to you and then lead it through. That will weaken it enough to finish it.

The valley the Greater Storm Beast pins you in is fairly large, and with force speed you should be able to outrun it. If you can't beat it in melee (understandable, considering it's got an impressive strength modifier), use the fact that it lacks any ranged weaponry. Even if it means using a single mining laser, take pot shots at it while using stims and blaster enhancing amor and other items. It will be a tough cookie to crack, but it should not be beyond your reach.

Thats easy;

Use the force to put it to sleep and then hack it for all you're worth! :ermm:

Statemeant: you cannot stop me you cannot harm me, in order to do that I would need to stop being one of you; I have concluded that this is something I am willing to accept!

In short you have just shown me your soft meatbag-like underbellies and said

"larger snow beast" on Mangalor

You mean the Greater Storm Beast on Malachor V?

What class are you? I didn't find it that hard at all, as a Sentinel/Weapon Master. When I saw it, I buffed myself (Master Speed, Master Force Barrier), and it went down easy.

Use all your buffing Force Powers while it's running towards you. Hyper-adrenal stamina helps your survivability alot. During the fight, use your medpacs from the inventory screen to save a combat round. Switch combat difficulty to easy if you still have trouble. If you're a Jedi Master, you should have plenty of buffs to keep you strong and healthy while you try to fight it. If you're a Sith Lord, then you'll have a lot of offensive powers to damage, which you can do from range, even easier if you have plague.

Really, it wasn't that much harder than any other difficult enemy, you shouldn't have to resort to desparate tactics like running and gunning or mining.

The Greater Storm Beast? Uhm... When I played through I was able to nail HIM with a stasis field... I was surprised but delighted as my Jedi (Force Enlightened w/ masters in speed, aura, valor and flurry) hacked that thing into bantha fodder.

Not that I need any of those once he was in stasis... well maybe just master speed for the extra damage.

Consular/Sith Lord

:p if there's one force power cheesier than Force Storm, it's Force Crush...nothing can stand against spamming Force Crush. And you don't get hit.

Consular/Jedi Master

Force Enlightenment, Stasis, Flurry. Rinse repeat as necessary. Force Storm works too but it's slower.

Jesus, are ANY of you experienced in creating ultima-builds at all??

Sigh...First, make sure you are level 30 before hitting Malachor V, second, make sure you have a very high attack and a reasonable damage with keen in case you can't stop their charge with the Force.

Now, here's my strat for tackling these pitiful little pests:

1. Throw a Thermal at them first, once it goes off, nail them with Stasis Field and/or Storm, if they aren't stopped by Statis, then get ready for melee, switch to Juyo and hit Master Speed and Master Aura/Shield, once he gets to you, nail him with Master Flurries and watch him fall before he makes the second attack :p

If you get nailed by 2 or more (Which never happend to me, ever....I rarely have to fight with 3 melee guys at once, because by the time they get to me, my Storm spam has likely dropped two of them and the third is down to like 20 hp or less ;)), just use Resilience..It's not only for blasters, you know ;)

The Storm Beasts died easier than any other enemy in the game for me...None of them could hope to match my power...Very few enemies in this game ever could, so that's maybe not saying much...?

Learn how to ultima-build...I might publish my strats to GameFAQ's one day, but I'm too busy with XWA to worry about a strat right now...

One lesson to learn: You need feats more than powers, so it's best to do Guardian/Sith Lord if you want to be spamming the Force all the time and still be able to wrestle with heavy melee enemies like the Storm Beasts whenever you want ;)

As a WeaponM/SM I never once got hit with more than 25 damage by the Storm Beasts, ever...When I went guardian/jm/sl, the things almost never hit me because of Crush Opposition and Master Meditation ;)

Beast Trick works wonders if you want to have a totally open attack with no defense against you!

Nail them with BT and then use your most deadly attack...Whatever it is ;)

I always have a lethally strong defense for melee, and a nearly unstoppable collection of Force abilities that I can wipe out most enemies with before they can even get to me...The Guardian/JM/SL combo is definately nasty if you know what you are doing with that build....Between Crush Opposition and Master Meditation, the enemy has almost no chance in hell of hitting you...Man, I love that during the Palace battle...Hehehe...Even Kreia's weak-ass melee attacks wiped the floor with them after I kept spamming CO/MM ;)

Hehehe....I can give you some really cool saves if you like, to learn how to make an ultima-build...The basic strat is easy to understand, but there are a few certain options that you have to make some nasty judgement calls with...Primary among them being Jedi or Sith...Naturally a Weaponsmaster won't be nearly as deadly in force combat as the Marauder would be because the WM will focus on powering himself up, while the Marauder is far more likely to sit back and spam Storm and Death Field before the enemies even get close to attacking ;)

With my last Marauder, I had around 400 FP's, combo that with Master Shield, Speed, Energy Resist, Force Immunity, Storm, Death Field, and Force Confusion, and you can tell why there was almost no one who could get close to me except for the bosses ;)

My last Guardian/SL had 650HP/550FP, very well-balanced and practically unhittable by conventional attacks, about the only thing that could contact me was the bosses, and even then they barely had a scratch on me...

Hardcore has really made my ultima-building interesting as of late...I love Hardcore when you use it's harder settings because it adds force resistance to your enemies based on levels, so it makes my Storm spamming less effective ;)

I remember when I killed every Jedi Master except for Vrook with nothing but Lightning...Vrook is always my first battle because he's the hardest to fight with if you start with him first...He has an insane defense and his master flurry-isim will kill you in two attacks ;) Only way I could tackle him was with Thermals and spamming lightning and hiding behind the trees while he just sat there and took all the damage without even seeing me ;)

Abuse your terrain, another lesson...Another critical lesson for *ANY* real-time game: Be isnanely careful with your timing...If you time things just the slightest bit wrong, that will get you killed sometimes...Especially if you're not that strong against melee like the storm beasts...

Another lesson, this one is going to be insanely important: ALWAYS do every dialogue option with Kreia and HK-47 and T3, those three will give you INSANE bonuses to experience, force points, and your vital stats like Wisdom and so on...

The wookie is also a good tool for boosting your CON and STR, but I prefer Mira over the carpet myself...

The mobs are tailored to your character's level, so the only way how character level matters is that the game balance gets more out of whack the higher your level is. The d20 system was designed for 20 levels but with the, erm, 'adjustments' Obsidian have made things breaks apart even earlier, about level 15 or so.

The effect is that around level 30 everybody except for the lowliest of grunts has such a high BAB compared to normal values of defense that everybody can hit everybody else most of the time, and the Exile will take damage even from Sith Apprentices/Marauders/Lords; armour is mostly useless at that point.

That is, unless you use a totally defensive build where wear a robe and boost DEX and WIS (Handmaiden's Battle Precognition, only for male avatars) as much as possible. AFAICS this the only way to get DEF high enough to actually matter, in the fifties/sixties. It is possible but not a whole lot of fun, because then you are pretty much invulnerable most of the time.

For example, I loaded a save for the encounter with the Great Storm Beast from my last run and looked at the math. The beast had defense and attack bonus 40, my level-30 Exile had defense 35 and total attack bonus 62. Completely out of whack.

So at that point in time you can either go for a totally defensive build or forget armour/defense entirely and concentrate on boosting CON (so that you can tank a bit) and raw damage output.

For example, a Guardian taking on the Greater Storm Beast would equip a double-bladed lightsabre or two singles and Force Jump the beast. With Master Speed and the Juyo lightsabre form this gives you five hits (4 mainhand, 1 offhand) with about 70 average damage per hit in the case of my Exile. On average this will almost kill the beast, only a single swipe with the blade or low-damage spell like Force Wave needed to finish it off. If you are lucky and you roll high damage or get a critical then the beast will drop in the first round already, but of course you can also be unlucky and get automatic misses for rolls of 1 on some attacks or simply roll low damage.

Without Force Jump, similar considerations apply. Use dual-wielding even if you don't have the feats, your attack will be more than high enough to make up for this (see attack/defense examples above); use the Juyo form for the extra attack or Shien for improved criticals, and the power attack feat of your choice. I prefer Flurry because it is more dependable than the others (the plain Flurry feat is enough; the higher feats only reduce the attack penalty but you have plenty of attack bonus to spare); Master Power Attack and Master Critical Strike also have really serious damage potential and can outperform Flurry if you have the right equipment. Add Master Speed to the mix and the Greater Storm Beast should go down in two rounds or three at most, even if you don't have a special melee-oriented build.

Guest Damar Stiehl

Grenades are for the weak. Even thermal detonators.

Plague -> Stasis Field -> Choke -> Force Storm or Flurry rules all.

I wish I had Force Crush to round out this lovely smorgasbord of pain, but, life cannot always be perfect.

no need what so ever .. the big storm beast is easily defeated with force powers .. insanity or stun if you want it paralyzed .. and/or kill it with offensive powers or use your saber .. absolutely no need for grenades at all!

as I said earlier Force Kill is very effective against the big and small ones .. it both paralyzes and kills and if you throw 2-3 in a row on it it will simple choke to death in front of you..

Fortune favors the bald.