The cruelty of the Republic

Just in case you thought the Republic was good, think about the force cells you and your crew end in several times. Barely room to sit, no furniture, no water. You have no idea how long you might be kept there but anything more then a couple of hours would surely qualify as cruelty.

Derek K'rail Posted Today, 10:18 AM

Ahhh... of course, you are one of those people who think that keeping people in guantanamo is cruel, right?

Pfff...

Keeping them in Guantanamo isn't cruel-it's the torture they endure and lack of legal process which people find immoral. Considering they're meant to be doing this to safeguard people's freedom and human rights it kinda smacks of hypocrisy for them to do it by denying these principals to their prisoners.

Just in case you thought the Republic was good, think about the force cells you and your crew end in several times.  Barely room to sit, no furniture, no water.  You have no idea how long you might be kept there but anything more then a couple of hours would surely qualify as cruelty.

The difference between a Force Cage and a Torture Cage appears to be a difference in which software module you choose to activate...

Bombing planets into radioactive balls and cleansing entire races from existence (which the game indicates that the Republic has indulged in) doesn't exactly strike me as a good thing to do either. Listening to HK-47s tales in the first game doesn't paint the Republic Senate in the light of a good government with corruption, political assassinations and lots of foul play going on behind the scenes. The Jedi may be the good guys, but they don't run the Republic. I tend to think of the Republic more as the lesser of evils. :blink:

Just in case you thought the Republic was good, think about the force cells you and your crew end in several times.  Barely room to sit, no furniture, no water.  You have no idea how long you might be kept there but anything more then a couple of hours would surely qualify as cruelty.

The difference between a Force Cage and a Torture Cage appears to be a difference in which software module you choose to activate...

Bombing planets into radioactive balls and cleansing entire races from existence (which the game indicates that the Republic has indulged in) doesn't exactly strike me as a good thing to do either. Listening to HK-47s tales in the first game doesn't paint the Republic Senate in the light of a good government with corruption, political assassinations and lots of foul play going on behind the scenes. The Jedi may be the good guys, but they don't run the Republic. I tend to think of the Republic more as the lesser of evils. :)

Remember, in K1, many of those fish selkoth sees the sith empire merely as another young republic. There is probably some truth in the matter. I mean, republic has to have gotten that big somehow, and I'm just not seeing diplomacy doing all that work.

The republic is a body of goverment...Just like any body of goverment they're going to have laws, ways of enforcing said laws, and their own dirty little secrets.

So the republic does away with forces cages...sure lets just have mister murderer run up and down the TSF station freely??

Err...not very bright imho..The republic does what it has to. Sure they've done some bad things, they're a goverment..nobody's perfect...they look at the bigger picture, and hey..if the annihilation of one planet will protect three or four I'd say it's well worth it....

The sad thing is..alot of people see in black and white..and everything is really a shade of grey...

You might consider that cruel, however i'd pick getting arrested and locked up by the Republic over the Sith anyday. :(

The republic is a body of goverment...Just like any body of goverment they're going to have laws, ways of enforcing said laws, and their own dirty little secrets.

So the republic does away with forces cages...sure lets just have mister murderer run up and down the TSF station freely??

Err...not very bright imho..The republic does what it has to.

Is space that limited that they can't build slightly bigger cells to contain criminals? I mean really a place to lie down at least.

And what if you need to use the restroom? Hmm? Then again, I don't recall seeing a restroom in the apt on TSF, or the apt on Taris in K1. Wait a min, no restroom on the Hawk either! What is this madness? Well at least there were beds in these other "accomodations". Not that anyone made use of the beds anywhere, but it's nice to have the option at least.

No worries, in a few thousand years they learn. I mean afterall, the Empire didn't hold Leia in a force cage, now did they? They had a nice detention cell with solid door and a bed.

Is space that limited that they can't build slightly bigger cells to contain criminals?  I mean really a place to lie down at least. 

And what if you need to use the restroom?  Hmm?  Then again, I don't recall seeing a restroom in the apt on TSF, or the apt on Taris in K1.  Wait a min, no restroom on the Hawk either!  What is this madness?  Well at least there were beds in these other "accomodations".  Not that anyone made use of the beds anywhere, but it's nice to have the option at least.

No worries, in a few thousand years they learn.  I mean afterall, the Empire didn't hold Leia in a force cage, now did they?  They had a nice detention cell with solid door and a bed.

And a nice little G0-T0-esque droid to keep her company.

No, I;m not trying to suggest that the Republic should have no way to keep lawbreakers under control. But I would hope that they have proper cells for those they need to keep for a few days/months/years. I mean, no bed, no toilet is a bit excessive for an indefinite stay.

How long would investigating Peragus have taken do you think?

That avatar is so cute Kitty with a lightsaber.

I actually went and made a tiny little mod to allow me to slaughter Grenn..Heh..It doesn't allow the game to resume after that, but it's still fun to slaughter that goddamn do-gooder ;)

Now if only I could make Mira slaughter him with a few glitterstim darts :p

Next up for me: K2: Kill Carth. ;)

LOL, I might just rename this game to read "KotoR II: Kill Kreia" :D

K2 felt to me the first time I played it like a poorly-scripted version of Kill Bill, heh heh heh... ;)

I think that the Republic is pretty nice considering all of the biological weapons they could use, and that they don't use Japanese WWII torture methods (*shudder*).

Besides, a few minor burns is healthy once in a while, you know? :thumbsup:

Oh, and why did Atton emerge unscathed when he passed out in the cage on Telos? In my game half of his body was sticking out, and that has GOT to hurt. ;) :ph34r:

:)

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

Hehe, I imagine that the force cages ARE big enough for a person to lie down in..they just arent represented that way in pixelled graphics. That would just take up more space and use up more money when it's not totall necessary..so they make them these little old cages...I've always pictured force cages as somewhat solid and they didnt hurt you..sort of like a force field..but Attton sort of knicked that idea when you first start on peragus..unless it's only the one on peragus :( Eh..besides..we dont know how long they were in the cells really..could have been a few minutes....could have been months..but from the conversations I'd say it didnt take long...atton still had that sense of urgency around his lines.

Hehe, I imagine that the force cages ARE big enough for a person to lie down in..they just arent represented that way in pixelled graphics. That would just take up more space and use up more money when it's not totall necessary..so they make them these little old cages...I've always pictured force cages as somewhat solid and they didnt hurt you..sort of like a force field..but Attton sort of knicked that idea when you first start on peragus..unless it's only the one on peragus  :(  Eh..besides..we dont know how long they were in the cells really..could have been a few minutes....could have been months..but from the conversations I'd say it didnt take long...atton still had that sense of urgency around his lines.

Oh, it has NOTHING to do with the graphics being limited...I could make a better Cage myself! In fact, I have, for use with my XWA mod and the comics :blink:

LOL, the biggest single graphics flaw with the entire KOTOR series:

THEY ALWAYS MAKE THINGS WAYYYYY TOO SMALL <_<

I mean, if they could widen-out Bespin for the SE of ESB, could they at least take the time to make KOTOR have bigger than idgit-sized sets??

The Hawk was about the ONLY man-made set in the entire game series that had the proper dimensions! The Shadowlands of Kashyyk, Dantooine, they were NOT scaled properly!

The Shadowlands in Republic Commando show the *REAL* size of the Shadowlands, not the horribly confined and coffin-like sets that KOTOR had! :-

I know, there were a LOT of graphical/visual contradictions with Republic Commando, the Trando's were the worst aspect...Turning them into idgits and giving them pinky-knives was NOT a great idea ;)

However, I think they accurately captured Kashyyk with Republic Commando...I can't say much for the rest of the game personally, but Kashyyk was done very well.

Now, that whole Trando military base thing at the end of RC was a little overkill (by a little, I mean a *LOT* ;)), but I could see why they'd need to make such a fortress to control those violence-prone carpets ;)

Hm...Maybe I could put MY prison cell into K2 and make it replace the cages in the game...? ;) Something else I'll look at while I'm re-balancing the game to work with Harccore ;)