Patch coming this year?

Guest MacleodCorp

Yeah, I believe that statement is true. Microsoft will make X-Box 2 inferior in comparison to the current day PCs, so they can release two versions of their games, and force the public to buy them. Its all about money! They want you to by PCs inorder to buy their OS, and they want you to buy the X-Box to buy their games, But, they will force you to choose, or they will force you to buy both. Microsoft lives by "Resistance is Futile!"

Guest MacleodCorp

Game console companies who are not attatched to PC companies live by different rules. PC companies live by "How fast and advanced can we make it!" Game console companies live by "How many games can we make." PC game companies are more like, "If we can force obsoletion, then we can make more money." Console companies are more like, "If we can make the next big game, we can get more people to buy our products.

Two different worlds. One based upon advancing techonology while the other is in the buisness to make the next big game. Very different in design.

Game consoles will most likely go obsolete for years before they develope another advanced console. PC go obsolete when they hit the shelves, for the next advanced PC has allready been made.

XBox 2 will (tenatively) have a Pentium IV, 3.0 GHz chip with ATI X800 type GPU and 512 MB of RAM. Essentially, a high powered gaming "PC" as the current XBox is a 1999 era PC with all of the components it has.

I believe it's supposed to have a 3-core 3.0Ghz PowerPC processor.

PC advancements in technology such as rendering may drive consoles...

But the bottom line is that doesn't matter to the average console player one bit... And MS and others know this.

They market consoles on the ease-of-use. Period.

Unfortunately, they do have PCs beat in this respect because PC gamers are a niche marketing group since most are hardware and system enthusiasts -- similar to automobile enthusiasts, music enthusiasts, etc, etc. -- Who go beyond just playing games and who fuel those innovations in technology with their high-end purchases.

However, again, the point is that most console players could care less about any of this and just want to be able to sit in front of their 40" HDTV and play a game like UT2004 with their friends online.

I am not trying to downplay the importance of PCs as hardware innovators... But like I said, with consoles bringing gaming to the masses, it doesn't matter from a publishing perspective -- as stated -- In that most console games are simplified and tailored to a less demanding audience than PC games...

And I fear this is going to lead to the "one-size-fits all" approach to cross-platform development... Hell, it's already here... And this will only help but decrease PC game sales and development more because it won't be cost effective for PC game designers to concentrate on more complex games when compared to just making one game for all the platforms and just porting it... Hence, what I said about the industry heading toward a very dangrous slope where PC gamers may have no choice but to settle for less.

I know that emulation isn't an officially supported design element of games and platforms... But MS isn't going to come right out say, "Buy a game for XBox 2 and play it on your PC" because they WANT you to buy that XBox 2.

Sure they will not... But someone who's been dealing with PC's for ages and knows how to set up an emulator probably does not need a WHQL logo on it. :D

I for one have no interest in X Box 2 and I never will.  I want one machine that I can play my games, do my taxes, work the internet, write my documents, print them out, and so forth and so on.

You forgot "download my pr0n" in that list..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Guest Dowie100
Does anyone have a URL of the interview where Chris Avellone said that he was surprised at how the "cut" version of KOTOR2 received such good reviews?

Thanks.

I agree, his origonal story was like 100x better

btw Lucasarts are ****

Does anyone have a URL of the interview where Chris Avellone said that he was surprised at how the "cut" version of KOTOR2 received such good reviews?

Thanks.

I agree, his origonal story was like 100x better

btw Lucasarts are ****

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/575/575798p2.html

it's quite an interesting article. worth a read - has some good quotes from Chris Avellone and Chris Parker. Obsidian's idea of Kotor3 (and what they intended with K2) also get a mention.

not sure what he means by the 'vision quests' in K2 though. Anyone?

u

For crying out loud when will the patch be finshed? "Coming soon" isn't much of a comfort. Obsidian get busy already.

Are you SURE you need the patch?

I just ran my KOTOR2 updater and here's what it had to say on the subject:

Your game version is: 2.00.424 English

Pinging:  swpatch.obsidianent.com

Retrieving autopatcher version information

Connecting... swpatch.obsidianent.com

Downloading  sw_pc_autopatch.txt

Retrieving game patch information

Connecting... swpatch.obsidianent.com

Downloading  sw_pc_english.txt

Latest Game Version Available: 2.00.424

You are up to date.  No patch file required.

Stop running this every 5 minutes, you little wanker.

Time taken to patch game 0:00:09

Get a life.

Done

;)

The article -- Thanks for linking to that; I knew I just didn't imagine what I said -- Brings up a point that I think people are being a little too gracious on and that is:

...The gamers have more critical feedback, which is awesome, and I think some of the comments stem from using the same engine as the previous game and the attempts to make the game feel more like The Empire Strikes Back...

TSL doesn't even come close to ESB for one big reason: ESB has a self-contained story WITH AN ACTUAL ENDING. Period.

I know that LA is to blame for cutting a lot of the content that would have finished the game... But realistically, I don't think that would have mattered in the long run, to be honest.

I know there are tons of storyline discussion threads in the other forums... But I just want to say that no amount of technical patching -- what we are all waiting for -- Is going to change the core story which, in my opinion, suffers from what most game devs and storytellers do whenever they consciously decide to do a quote-un-quote darker story and that is they revel in the darker themes and forget about everything else; forget about telling a coherent and interesting story.

In fact, I think I know exactly where the inspiration to TSL came from -- aside from Fall Out2. There are two scenes in the original KOTOR:

1) When you first get off the elevator in the Undercity you are presented with the choice of either giving the two beggars hassling you some credits or just scaring them off.

Sound familiar? (Nar Shaddaa and Kriea's "lesson")

2) The Sunry trial on Mannan that puts you in a very morally ambiguous position... Especially, if you know he is guilty (which he is).

These two scenarios are repeated ad nauseum in TSL... But that still doesn't make up for lack of a real ending, however, nor is it enoug to base an entire game on, and I think gamers who are critical of their gaming experience do notice this and it bothers a lot of the fanbois/gurls because there is truth in their criticism...

Just like when I said that Chris was surprised that people like the storyline overall... Which a lot of people DON'T for some of the reasons I just discussed above.

Anyway...

How 'bout that patch? ;)

You know, I'm sick of people saying blame LA and not OE. They are both at fault and as long as the Update button on the game launcher comes to swpatch.obsidianent.com I will continue to look at Obsidian for the update. If they don't want to take responsibility then they should come out with a patch that changes the update server. Until that happens, I will continue to come HERE for the patch.

As for the 'great' reviews, every time I see them I can't help but wonder if they actually FINISHED the game before writing it. Let's face it, bugs aside (every new game has them), it was an engrossing and emersive game until the ending.

So, OE, fix the bugs because it is your obligation to your consumers and fix the ending if you expect us to continue to trust in your company's products.

As for the 'great' reviews, every time I see them I can't help but wonder if they actually FINISHED the game before writing it. Let's face it, bugs aside (every new game has them), it was an engrossing and emersive game until the ending.

So, OE, fix the bugs because it is your obligation to your consumers and fix the ending if you expect us to continue to trust in your company's products.

Don't hold your breath for a finished (new) ending.

LA controls all intellectual property rights to everything that would go into finishing the game (artistically) and they have given no indication that they intend to "rectify" the situation since they (LA) don't seem to think the game is not finished... Which, technically, it is... But the ending is just so bad that they can just brush that off as "subjective opinion", unfortunately.

This is why I blame LA for the state of the game in terms of storyline. I also blame OE for the state the game shipped in, so I blame both parties.

Do you want to know how rushed this game is?

Load up a saved game right after you wake up on Peragus. Go to the sealed blast door at the end of the hall -- the one where you have to bash it open.

The actual tutorial that pops up (if you have it enabled) says "Use the buttons on your D-Pad to blah, blah, blah."

The D-Pad is a button from the XBox controller (I have an Xbox).

It's little things like this that tell me this game is a rushed port more than anything else.

Also, little artistic choices also tell me that game was rushed.

For example, all of the Peragus corpses are bland and decayed -- like they've been there for years. This is not logical given the scenario happened in three days AND the fact that if you replay KOTOR... The corpses are all varied and just look more polished. This might be nitpicking, but presentation in this case is everything and the game just isn't presented well in my opinion. Hell, look at the blurry, 640x480 movies as well.

This is why I blame OE in terms of the game itself.

Man mi nuh care a who a make di patch ar who deh mek di game , all mi waa no is why di rass it teck so long. Wah meck mi haffi deh suffer wen a mi a di consumer , mi pay fifty add rass dollars fi diss game beat it once and mi nuh feel like do it again to bomboclaut diss nuh meck no damn sense. As a fan mi feel disgrace and shame mi upset a one month now and mi caant si a damn ting. WEH DI PATCH DEH :(

This is why I blame LA for the state of the game in terms of storyline. I also blame OE for the state the game shipped in, so I blame both parties

Umm...

LA was the one who ORDERED the game to be released, even though they knew of the outstanding numbers of technical issues. The completely failed in their QA.