Patch coming this year?

This still isn't as bad as waiting for the 1.10 patch for Diablo 2. And Blizzard is supposed to have great tech support. Ever since that Obsidian/LucasArts could say soon and release it 6 months later and I would still be happy. At least we're getting feedback(however slim and infrequent) that the patch is coming. For that 1.10 patch it was almost a year just to get a beta patch that they hoped would get us to shut up, which it didn't cause then we couldn't play online since their servers were still running 1.09

So everyone take a few deep breaths and relax. Soon is a relative term so just keep looking for it to come out before christmas of this year.

Thanks for nothing.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

I just thought I would post here as well as one of the other forums.

As far as we know right now, there is nothing stopping the patch from being released, so it should be very soon.

I for one would like to know how Obsidian and LA defines the word 'soon'!!

Why not just come straight out and say within the next week or month?!

Maybe if people stopped checking the forums every 2-and-a-half minutes to see if the patch has been released and went out to have a beer or two instead, the waiting would not be so unpleasant (w00t)

But...must...check...main...page...obsessively...every...two..seconds...

Honsetly though, don't the people like Xavier97x2 have anything better to do than start *new* threads to whine about how long the patch is taking?

Guest MacleodCorp

Psst... Hello? Hello?

Hey over here! Obsidian... Over here?

Are you reading?

WHEN WILL THE PATCH BE RELEASED!

I heard Duke Nukem: Forever was going to come out SOON! That was about six to sevenish years ago!

Dudes, buddies, pals... So, what will be in the patch? Will there be content, or will it just be a big fix patch?

Soon? Almost Done? Near Time? A few moments now? Three months? Four days? One year?

As a paying customer, I think I need some patch for a broken product that I bought from your company! This is bad customer service! Hey, buy my product, and it is complete... Hey wait, we sold hundreds of BROKEN versions of our product at cost, and people are complaining!!! You know, I could call your Attorney General about selling broken merchandise, and not releasing a patch to fix the problem. I heard the BBB: Better Buisness Bueral would be intrested in this type of bad customer service! You see, you told everyone it was broken after their product's return dates expired. You knowingling sold a BROKEN product at $50 a wack... That means you released the product with knowing there was a problem, and you openly admit it, and you will not refund my money, for it is passed the return date.... That is a criminal offence!!!

I heard FORD got in trouble for releasing problamatic tires!

HELLO CLUELESS!

Obsidian isn't the ones holding up the patch. If you have read what Feargus, the CEO of Obsidian, has posted that it is out of their hands and ready to be released. ITS FREAKING LUCAS ARTS HOLDING UP THE SHOW! Go and yell at them to release the patch. As it has been said over and over and over again ITS OUT OF OBSIDIAN'S HANDS!

Lucas Arts has the patch.

Lucas Arts has the say when it is released.

Lucas Arts is who you need to deal with.

Got it?

As for the condition of the game:

Lucas Arts QA'ed it.

Lucas Arts knew how buggy it was.

Lucas Arts published it as it is.

DEAL WITH IT.

Psst... Hello? Hello?

Hey over here! Obsidian... Over here?

Are you reading?

WHEN WILL THE PATCH BE RELEASED!

I heard Duke Nukem: Forever was going to come out SOON! That was about six to sevenish years ago!

Dudes, buddies, pals... So, what will be in the patch? Will there be content, or will it just be a big fix patch?

Soon? Almost Done? Near Time? A few moments now? Three months? Four days? One year?

As a paying customer, I think I need some patch for a broken product that I bought from your company! This is bad customer service! Hey, buy my product, and it is complete... Hey wait, we sold hundreds of BROKEN versions of our product at cost, and people are complaining!!! You know, I could call your Attorney General about selling broken merchandise, and not releasing a patch to fix the problem. I heard the BBB: Better Buisness Bueral would be intrested in this type of bad customer service! You see, you told everyone it was broken after their product's return dates expired. You knowingling sold a BROKEN product at $50 a wack... That means you released the product with knowing there was a problem, and you openly admit it, and you will not refund my money, for it is passed the return date.... That is a criminal offence!!!

I heard FORD got in trouble for releasing problamatic tires!

WOW DUDE U R SMARTZ!!!!1!

But seriously, all you really need to know...

LA has the patch, they were responsible for the QA to make sure the game worked, BOTHER THEM. Not the people who had their game ripped to pieces.

Guest MacleodCorp

If you are believing the problem makers than you have issues. Since they made the code, they should fix it, and take care of the problem. Lucas Arts did not make the game, and Obsidian's name is on the box. Therefore, they are very much responsible for a BROKEN product. They were the ones who released the game!

Guest MacleodCorp

For people who never complained about a problem, look Obsidian is the creator. When they say Lucas has the patch, they are really saying:

1. We don't care!

2. Its not our problem.

3. We are posting this patch response to the overwelming problem with our BROKEN product, so we will not get into trouble.

They are just shrugging the issue off...

Obviously you are clueless about the relationship between DEVELOPER and PUBLiISHER in computer gaming. Go away til you grow a clue. Actually I decide to enlighten you myself. Feeling a bit charitable to the N00Bs.

The Publisher, LucasArts in this case, hires a developer to make a game. Lucas Arts and Obsidian hammer out the contract and set milestone dates. When a Milestone date is acheived the Developer gets money from the Publisher. LucasArts gave Obsidian 1 year to make KotOR 2. It takes 18 months to 24 to make a proper CRPG. Since Obsidian was a start up company and needed the funds they couldn't say no to LucasArts so they did what Lucas Arts paid them to do. Make a CRPG in a year.

At the end o the timeframe they gave it to Lucas Arts to do quality assurance. This is where Lucas Arts say yay or nay on the final build. If they say nay it goes back to Obsidian for fixing. If it is Yay then it goes to the presses to be published. Lucas Arts, being the publisher, had full control to when the game was to be released and the quality it is in at released.

LucasArts controlled the vertical.

LucasArts controlled the horizontal.

Once it is release there might be patches, but only if the publisher orders the patches. For you see the Publisher has to pay the developer for the patches. Obsidian can't work for free you know. How many patches and how well KotOR is suported rests solely on LucasArts. Also they have direct say on what goes in the patch and when and how it is released.

I hope this gives you a clue, clueless one.

Guest MacleodCorp

Yes, I can agree to that. However, they did not write the code for the BROKEN merchandise. Lucas Arts is also responsible. I delt with people like this before. Obsidian is just as responsible!

Guest MacleodCorp

Actually, there name is not only on the box, but it is all over the readme and CD packaging... They are also responsible. You have to stop defending, and start standing up for your rights a customer.

Guest MacleodCorp

I design various forms of advertising, and I deal with marketing on a daily basis. A store is responsible for its products, and the creator is responsible for the product. Regardless of their contracts. Within this products packaging and CD they are stated as creators... They are responsible as well.

What part of the publisher is the ONLY one that can give the okay for a patch release don't you understand?

Obsidian has stated (or atleast their CEO has) that the patch is ready (ie. they've done their part), all that is being waited upon is LUCASARTS releasing it.

The game was developed by Obsidian, but it is Lucasarts' property and thus any patches, additions, etc. is their call and theirs alone.

For someone who claims to be a publisher, you sure don't seem to understand how the business world works.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

BLOODY FREAKING HELL!!!

Are you even reading what I am typing here!?!?!? I agree that Obsidian is responsible. THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE HERE! What do you expect Obsidian to do? They can't release patches without Lucas Arts approval. They can't break the freaking contract without geting sued! WHAT THE HELL DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO DO?!?!?

Common, tell me. Tell me what Obsidian can do about KotOR 2 that won't get them sued by LucasArts.

Guest MacleodCorp

Yes, I can agree with the fact that the designer needs to permission of their customer to release any addition addons to their product.

I thought we were talking about who is responsible. You are correct in thinking that Obsidian needs permission.

There are ways to make a patch available for temporary fixes without Lucas's permission. Temporary fixes only. However, nothing has been done so far to assure the public that this course of action will be taken.