These cooky foreigners and their regionalisation

Well, what can one say. We pwnd you in the last war and now all your base are belong to us :D

And nowadays we dont even need an army and havent for a century. We simply lack anything of interest to.. anyone basicly, unless you have a fetisch for pine trees, we have lots of those. Look at WWII, the Jerries took you, Norway and the Finns allied themselves with em so the didnt have to take them. Meanwhile, Sweden remained completely unmolested.

I think even Usama Bin Laden(who visited Falun, Sweden with his family in the 70's which gave inspiration to a book called "the sheik in..somewher" that was later filmed.) has said something along the lines of Sweden being the last country on earth he'd ever consider attacking.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'm getting rather radical about "American English" versus English (I had an argument once with an American who insisted on calling it "English English" as if we were upstarts using a bizarre variant of their mother-tongue.

"american" english is mostly just a different dialect of "english" english - e.g. there are literally hundreds of variants of indian or chinese, but they are all still referred to as their respective toungues. the biggest differences arose from the fact that we were several thousand miles removed from our original "mainland" (notably, england). of course, the fact that our language evolved from several hundred different languages didn't hurt, either (though primarily german, french, english and spanish).

Of course, all of these arguments usually end with the red-faced yank reminding you that if it wasn't for them then we'd be speaking German. Yawn. If it wasn't for the Normans You'd Be Celts, as the French sing at football matches to Brits).

not my fault.

Mind you, German is a tortuous language and not much fun so I concede the point, although when I suggest that the Russians also had something to do with it you usually get an even huffier response.

i find it quite beautiful, actually. at one point, i could actually speak it. gone are those days...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I dont get it why you strange people in Europe and Russia etc. have to have all the fuzz and things having special releases with everything translated. We swedes have had US or UK editons and have since the dawn of time. We dont even translate our own games to swedish. "Beneath a steel sky" is still the only non-educational game to ever have been translated and that was just the subtitles.

Well there are much more people who speaks german (over 100 mio.) or spanish (over 350 mio.) than swedish (under 10 mio.). I dont know why it is so weird to hear translated movies/games. You usually talk to your friends in swedish or in english? For myself I prefer original versions and try to get a game I like in their original version. But I have nothing against translated versions, but I agree sometimes (but not that often as some people like to say) they are below mediocre.

Added comment about American English.

The American English varies from State to State.

Every State in America has their own way of using words, how they are phrased, and how the words are pronounced.

Even some Americans cannot understand what in the world a fellow American is saying. :D

Tsel :(

Every State in America has their own way of using words, how they are phrased, and how the words are pronounced.

Even some Americans cannot understand what in the world a fellow American is saying. :D

Tsel :(

the difference is most notable from the far north (new england states) to the deep south (georgia, louisiana, alabama)... oddly, however, florida is not considered deep south as most of its residents are from somewhere else, 75% actually. either way, the differences there are mostly just accentual (word?). there's an actual language difference between american and english versions of english, not just accent.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Well, what can one say. We pwnd you in the last war and now all your base are belong to us :D

And nowadays we dont even need an army and havent for a century. We simply lack anything of interest to.. anyone basicly, unless you have a fetisch for pine trees, we have lots of those. Look at WWII, the Jerries took you, Norway and the Finns allied themselves with em so the didnt have to take them. Meanwhile, Sweden remained completely unmolested.

I think even Usama Bin Laden(who visited Falun, Sweden with his family in the 70's which gave inspiration to a book called "the sheik in..somewher" that was later filmed.) has said something along the lines of Sweden being the last country on earth he'd ever consider attacking.

Oh yeah, don't remind me. We should never have sided with Napoleon, it cost us Sk

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

What about the Saxons?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I prefer to play games in English, even if Danish is available. It's just what I'm used to.

Also, the world would be a better place if everyone just swallowed their stupid nationalistic pride connected to their native language, and replaced it with English.

Tsel :-

Don't get me started on Soda vs. Pop vs. Coke vs. Soda Pop.

It goes both ways. The only movies I can stomach being dubbed into English are Japanese monster movies (Gamera!) and old kung fu movies, because that's half the fun.

I tried watching the dubbed verson of Run Lola Run once and it made my brain hurt. Subtitles only. Urgh, the thought of Amelie or Crouching Tiger dubbed...

I need to go take a bath.

Zap Brannigan: what makes a man turn neutral? lust for gold? power? or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality??

Fortune favors the bald.

Zap Brannigan: what makes a man turn neutral? lust for gold? power? or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality??

:blink::(

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Well....technically speaking, the Jerries took Norway and Denmark because of Sweden. They needed to go through Denmark to get to Norway, and they needed to hold Norway to prevent British troops from potentially cutting off their iron shipments from Sweden.

The whole thing was all about Swedish iron.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

aahh not only swedish iron.. the fact that with Denmark (and Norway to protect from the north), you control the flow of the entire baltic sea, had something to do with it as well I think..

Fortune favors the bald.

Norway was taken primarily for its position with a coastline towards the north atlantic.

...they would have gotten the Iron anyways :D

aahh not only swedish iron.. the fact that with Denmark (and Norway to protect from the north), you control the flow of the entire baltic sea, had something to do with it as well I think..

True....but the best reason to control the Baltic sea (aside from the U-Boat ports along the Norwegian coast and eventually boxing the Soviet fleet up in Leningrad) is the Swedish iron shipments. :geek:

Norway was taken primarily for its position with a coastline towards the north atlantic.

...they would have gotten the Iron anyways  :D

Well, kinda.

Most of the ore shipped from Sweden to Germany stopped first in Norway, at least during the winter. If Britain had found a way to disrupt the shipments, Germany would have been hurting for iron pretty fast.

Wikipedia has a good article on the subject.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I prefer to play games in English, even if Danish is available. It's just what I'm used to.

Also, the world would be a better place if everyone just swallowed their stupid nationalistic pride connected to their native language, and replaced it with English.

Man, I hope this doesn't happen. But I admit the expectation that languages with only local speaker bases will retain their full, historical use in the emerging global culture seems improbable. And it's not just English that's doing the killing, either, even in English-speaking countries: one of my best friends spoke Hakka Chinese in his native Malaysia, but when he came to Canada, was faced with the reality that any interaction with the (very large) Chinese community would need to be done in Cantonese or Mandarin Chinese, which he did not speak. He no longer speaks Hakka.

But I certainly hope the Scandinavian languages maintain themselves. As an Anglo-Saxonist, I depend for my linguistic kicks, within modern art and cinema on, in particular, Scandinavian sources. I've run Swedish Windows for long periods (most of my shortcuts read "Genv