These cooky foreigners and their regionalisation

I dont get it why you strange people in Europe and Russia etc. have to have all the fuzz and things having special releases with everything translated. We swedes have had US or UK editons and have since the dawn of time. We dont even translate our own games to swedish. "Beneath a steel sky" is still the only non-educational game to ever have been translated and that was just the subtitles.

You people can speak English just as well as we Scandinavians do, so why do you keep at this nonsense?

We get some german, russian and spanish channels over the dish with dubbing and its like having your brain turned inside out. Its not healthy, you should stop it. Once a friend of mine taped Star Wars dubbed to German and none who saw it recovered properly from the experience.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I've seen Terminator 2 in german, hilarious!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I was watching Russian baywatch. There was just one tired guy talking(without any hint of trying to convey the emotional content of whatever lines he read of his paper) all the time and you could still hear the original voices in the background.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I once saw a japanesse hentai anime dubbed in French (At least I hope it was French) with Korean subtitles.  I twitched.  :devil:

So did the tentacles probably... :cool:

Once saw an episode of Miami Vice dubbed to Turkish :huh:

Yes, it was a long time ago, and I still bear the emotional scars :ph34r:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Almost as annoying as dubbing/translation is the censorship imposed on some games...

I still remember the outrage felt when I found out that the "floating voices" in Fallout 2 was a deliberate design decision in the version shipped to Europe :devil:

Why couldn't they just have shipped the UK version to the UK and the US version to the rest of the non-translated markets? Instead they just shipped the UK version to everybody :huh:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

For the record....

Many Japanese anime and continental European movies dubbed to English are just as painful to watch.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Why couldn't they just have shipped the UK version to the UK and the US version to the rest of the non-translated markets? Instead they just shipped the UK version to everybody  :thumbsup:

Only stable Americans can be trusted with gibbing children. History certainly proves that.

Kaftan is wrong. Lots of games gets translated to swedish. Especially EA are known to do this, with sports games, movie licenses and their biggest franchises (Harry Potter and so on). Sweden is not that different.

The reason not all games get translated is because swedes in general are quite good at english, and the cost of translating a game would be far higher than the extra revenues generated by a swedish version.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Im shure you're right Mkreku, but can you give any examples? The only games Ive seen in swedish is games directed at young children. Definently not A-list material.

we could scale it to different translation levels.

1. full trans. with re-recorded/dubbed voices

2. trans of text-based menus and subtitles but not audio

3. trans installation guide, readme etc.

I'm getting rather radical about "American English" versus English (I had an argument once with an American who insisted on calling it "English English" as if we were upstarts using a bizarre variant of their mother-tongue. Of course, all of these arguments usually end with the red-faced yank reminding you that if it wasn't for them then we'd be speaking German. Yawn. If it wasn't for the Normans You'd Be Celts, as the French sing at football matches to Brits).

Mind you, German is a tortuous language and not much fun so I concede the point, although when I suggest that the Russians also had something to do with it you usually get an even huffier response.

I digress. People assume that we either (A) don't mind or (B) won't notice the difference. Well I do. I'm going to mod all the IE games into The Queen's English. No more +3 armor. Oh no. Our era of political correctness has completely bypassed those of us who speak English...this cultural insensitivity has to stop. Especially when you remember that Webster (IIRC) deliberately changed the spellings of English words in a snotty fit of pique after the War of Independence. Bah. Sox. Sox? Think about it.

While I'm warming to the theme, do you know how many Britons don't even bother to re-jig their versions of MS Word to English? The amount of written reports and submissions I see with "Microsoft English" spellings (the letter 'Z' is everywhere) is startling. When I show them that lovely drop-down box and select "English (UK)" they are genuinely surprised. And, I like to think, delighted.

Anyway, it's time for my pills and a mug of warm milk.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I still remember the dreadful night I played Settlers 3 in Danish .. :(

but the situation is the same here .. only childrens games (and movies) get translated, and some selected sportgames!

Fortune favors the bald.

Hah ... they lost everything ... Bremen and Stralsund ... and Norway ... till only Stockholm and a bit of countryside were left.

But the original question was about dubbing computer games, films, and translating books ... well, with Germany, I can at least see the economic aspect behind it. Germany has 80 millions of inhabitants, and it's an important market for videogame producers. Hence, delivering translated German versions of videogames is economically reasonable; the revenues make up for the costs of German translation and dubbing.

It was a little more left than just Stockholm and a bit of countryside..

0009a.jpg

As you can see from this map from 1801, Sweden terroitorial outline has changed very little since then. Our period as a conquering nation ended in 1718 with the death of Karl XII in Norway and geographicly in 1720 and 21 where we were forced to give up our territory in Preussia and Balticum.

thread derailed.

I dont get it why you strange people in Europe and Russia etc. have to have all the fuzz and things having special releases with everything translated.

I'm not one of those people that need the translation, obviously. But there are people, especially here in post-soviet republics, that have the lowest possible level of English, knowing only the wide-spread F-words, and other "worldwide" english words.

But hey, it's not their fault, alright? It's not because they are not educated.

Damn, I know a man who have learned Chinese and Japanese, but still can't form even a simplest sentence in English.

So it all depends on the country. Western Europe has always been very good at English, obviously. Sweden, in particular. But the post-soviet bloc is quite the opposite.

So, the need is quite big.

But again, I'm AGAINST dubbings, both in games, and especially in movies. WEll, there are good dubbings *sometimes*, but only as a very rare exceptions. For instance, I liked the Russian dubbing of Episode I. Jar-Jar Binks was even better in Russian than he was in English, I'm telling you (well, for those who know both languages, of course).

Subtitles rule, hands down. The best compromise.

And in games, it is even easier: just translate the text, but don't *ever* touch the voice-over, and everything will be hunky-dory.

And my translation team is doing exactly that with KOTOR2 (see my topic in developer's corner).

thread derailed.

I wouldn't worry. Usually, when a thread is derailed with obscure historical information, it just pops right back on track due to the rampant indifference of most posters.