Cha 15

Stats at lvl 28 (15 Sentinel, 13 Jedi Master):

Str 8

Dex 15

Con 10

Int 14

Wis 20

Cha 16

No bonuses included. If are, Light Side Mastery +3 Con +3 Wis.

A little explanations.

Strenght is 8, cuz character that mostly uses powers to disable enemies, doesn't need strenght. But I took Lightsaber Finesse...

Some points to Dexterity to keep up defence.

Intelligence 14 is enough for this char to get all points needed (IMO).

Well, you all can figure out why so high Wisdom and good Charisma. Yep.

Constitution is 10 so no minuses to throws, I don't invest in it, cuz I have never found any good implants for some reason, even that I've played game through four times now. Only some crap that give like +1 to Dexterity, so...

This was my latest character. I always do differend kinds of character with differend stats and class combinations.

Darth Frog, while you do have a point that TSL is hideously stacked in favor of the PC's, it's an RPG and, IMO, about the story, so it doesn't really bother me.

For example, Coucilor/Sith Lord is cheese, I will admit it, but I chose the combo because that's what I wanted to play, not because I wanted an easy time. That and the satisfaction of frying foes with force lighting.

Exactly. Similarly, I chose hideously low Con, and low Str and Dex, with high Int and high Wis for my latest character not because I'd determined what stats would allow me to get phat lewt or achieve leet pwnage in the game. Actually, I haven't read any extensive FAQs yet, and don't intend to yet in this playthrough, so I don't even *know* whether starting with 16 Int is a good idea or a bad idea from a powergaming standpoint and I don't *want* to for now. I'm playing with a high Int in order to see how playing a character with high Int plays out, not because I've already determined how a character with a particular (high) Int and particular (low) Con plays out and I want to go through the motions of seeing what I already know the game will make of the character. That would defeat much of the purpose of character development and discovery for me.

The game's easy enough that it lets you play what you like, even if it isn't the leet pwnage powergamer approach to character stat and ability choices. I intend to take advantage of that and play a character makeup to see how that makeup unfolds within the game, not to verify whether the stats that a KotOR II powergaming FAQ has told me will be the ideal stat choices are in fact the perfect build.

There are people who play a given build because they just want to play that character, just like there are people who played single-saber in the first game because that's how they liked to play, despite feeling dual-saber would be the higher-damage option, and just as there are people who play with a given low-level armour through much of the game because they think it looks best on their Jedi.

my most powerfull charecter would probably be my lvl50 consular/sith lord (15 | 35 split)

str - 20 (25 with buffs)

dex - 19 (24 with buffs)

con - 30 (35)

int - 20 (25)

wis - 40 (44)

char - 28 (34) vitality - 925 force - 1327 def 49 (55)

fortitude 46 reflex 40 will 63

i used universal d-package (+2 to all stats) meditation band (+2 will) jal shay meditation gloves (+2 will and dex) exile armband (+1con) ludo kressh's armband (def 1, str +1) jay shal mentor belt (wis +2 foce resist 20) and ossus keeper robe (def 1, reflex 1, stealth 4, charisma +2, inteliigence +4, wisdom +4, consitution +3, regeneration +3)

i used 1 lightsaber with dueling, then switched to 2 lightsabers so make use of all the +wis crytals i found, i didnt have the double weapons feats but still hit everything with master flurry

1st lightsaber - 14 - 32, dmg bonsu +5 dark side, critical threat - 19-20,x2, on hit knockdown DC22, attack modifier +6, def bonus 2, blaster bolt deflection -4(lol), charisma +6, dex +5, strength +7, con +3, wis +3, regeneration 3

2nd - short lightsaber - 7 - critical - 19-20,x2, attack modifier +2, def 1, bolt deflection +7, con +3, wis +3, regeneration 3, char +1

'I did it all for the wookies'

The game's easy enough that it lets you play what you like, even if it isn't the leet pwnage powergamer approach to character stat and ability choices.  I intend to take advantage of that and play a character makeup to see how that makeup unfolds within the game, not to verify whether the stats that a KotOR II powergaming FAQ has told me will be the ideal stat choices are in fact the perfect build.

You're patently silly.

First, this thread is about the merits of character builds and attribute choices, so it is gaming on the d20 level as opposed to the pure adventure/RP level (where e.g. any self-respecting thief will steal everything that isn't bolted down while a paladin tends to be strapped for cash precisely because she doesn't, regardless of whether the game engine models this with appropriate alignment shifts or not). So, by your own argument you shouldn't even be here, because by its very nature this thread is as close to a power-gaming FAQ as can be without actually being one.

Second, the objective of threads like this is not to give recipes for 'ultima-builds' where one could indeed do little other than follow the script (which isn't to say that following a script cannot be interesting and challenging in its own right, as in the case of 'anti-ultima-builds' like min-XP runs where the plan is simple but its execution is not). The objective is to discuss the merits/demerits of various approaches, so that people can make up their own minds and create a character that balances those aspects which they think most important for the playstyle they want to try out.

Third, there is little 'unfolding' in TSL once you hit level 15 or so. Every once in a while a melee-oriented Guardian may have to cast three (gasp!) Force Storms instead of two in order to clear out a room, and a Force-focused Consular may occasionally need two (gasp!) combat rounds instead of one in order to kill an enemy in straight melee combat. Big deal.

In fact, around level 30 even a Consular/Jedi Master can successfully dual-wield flurry in melee and hardly ever miss, even without any melee combat feat whatsoever. The insanely high BAB combined with attack boni from items/upgrades completely compensates the penalties for dual-wielding without feats and for using Flurry while having only the basic feat (which you can get by equipping an item). Conversely, at such high levels the biggest part of Force DC comes from character level, equipment and other boni; the contribution from natural attributes is so little as makes no odds. Force Focus should make a difference but it doesn't because there is no need. Not to mention that spell damage tends to depend more on character level than anything else, and character abilities/attributes contribute little except indirectly via Force DC.

So it is only during early levels that characters 'unfold' in TSL, where character development choices actually have consequences that you can discover while trying to do what you have to do, where situations can go well or not so well depending on whether you chose well or not so well. But if you use cheap cop-outs like shields/stims/grenades or having your party baby-sit the Exile then you deny yourself this discovery.

The reason is simple: if you allow yourself to rely on these crutches then your choices don't matter at all. With such aids any character whatsoever can walk out out of the med bay on Peragus and into the Ebon Hawk, stumble through Citadel and trail the team across Telos, without ever even taking level 2. And after Telos the game is mostly over anyway, all that remains is a bit of adventure mixed with generous offerings of flies for your swatting pleasure. The first planet may have an occasional situation that is interesting, but even those are mostly optional.

That isn't to say that it cannot be fun if you've never done it before. It is fun, and it can make some situations interesting that would otherwise be trivial. But you don't need any special 'build' for that because the particular nature of the dead weight is of no importance.

I start out with:

Str: 12

Dex: 14

Con: 12

Int: 14

Wis: 12

Cha: 12

Then I boost Dexterity and Constitution to 18. Dexterity for greater bonus to hit and Constitution so that I can use the D-implants. The rest? *shrugs* There are robes and circlets that can boost them for me.

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."

The more I think about it, the more it seems that the KotOR mechaniscs are fatally flawed. They have too many stats that do nothing, and the bonuses are weighted far more to the level of a PC so that the stats are ultimately irrelevant.

Case in point: what are Jedis ? Are they equivalent to Mages? Illusionists? Sorcerors? Druids? Rangers? Paladins/Blackguards? Clerics -- what domain? Ok, I'm over-egging the pudding, but I want to make the point that the reason KotOR seems unbalanced and generally lacking character (pun intended) is that it seems that KotOR is more like the old D&D -- i.e. before Gary Gyggax penned Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (and the current version is AD&D 3). :blink:

And if you remove the battles from the game (due to their ease), then all that's left is character development and story. Story, well, that didn't turn out too well, did it? A rush of seemingly pointless solo sub-quest segways that don't have any referential integrity and even less intrinsic enjoyment ... And character development is limited: ok, you have to play through the game multiple times to discover each NPC's personal narrative, but to be effective we must want to find out. I just have no interest in this story after playing through a game that I found to be a tedious, excruciating disapointment. :blink:

Jade Empire seems to be a better mix of character classes and skills, without the elf/dwarf/orc flavour.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Strength: 15

Dexterity: 10

Constitution: 14

Intelligence: 14

Wisdom: 14

Charisma: 10

I just thought that since there are more Strength boosting items and Weapons Finesse takes only DEX or STR so might as well just take one of them.

Constitution to 14 because it kinda pissed me on my first playthru that I couldn't get any of the better implants and no sense getting it bigger than 14 or so I thought.

Intelligence 14 was because I wanted my char to have Persuade, Awarness and Treat Injury at high numbers.

Charisma to 10 because it never helped me all that too much when I was full darkside and no one could already resist my Force Storm.

I've pumped my points into Wisdom and Strength since I was Guardian/Sith Lord.

I tend to favor the extremes over the balance ie guardian/weaponmaster with high str,con,dex and a consular/sith lord with high chr/wis/int. just personal preference really, although im kinda interested in going sent/watchmen for the sneak attack bonus. think itd be kinda fun to run into a fight, stealth out and backstab people.

Guardian/Weapon Master

Str: 15

Dex: 10

Con: 14

Int: 14

Wis: 12

Cha: 12

First Attribute point into Str, than Con

Consular / Sith Lord

Str: 8

Dex: 8

Con: 14

Int: 16

Wis: 14

Cha: 15

First Attribute point into Cha, than Con

Playing on hard, I had to take energy resistence as first power to get through peragus, and I couldn't kill anything in less than 5 rounds. I also had to abandon all hope of beating the 5 handmaidens. But above level 18 (Force storm), it becomes ridicluously easy.

The starting stats become pretty irrelevant in any case once you get good items.

Consular / Sith Lord [...8/8/14/16/14/15...]

Playing on hard, I had to take energy resistence as first power to get through peragus, and I couldn't kill anything in less than 5 rounds.

The Exile doesn't have to kill anything on Peragus except for the 25 Sith at the end, and for this you can use the laser turret which does not have any attribute/skill requirements. The HK has to be killed, too, but you can leave the dirty work to Kreia and Atton (your high CHA should improve their attack rating, btw).

I also had to abandon all hope of beating the 5 handmaidens.

Have you tried to Whirlwind them off the mat? Your char has excellent Force DC so it should work. The Handmaidens are melee monsters, so only a melee monster can beat them in a fair fight anyway.

I usually vary the attributes and skills a bit each game, but I usually play Consular cos I use Force Powers a lot in my fighting. (and that Force Enlightenment for LS is just right for me, granted late in the game).

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

I think my conular started something like

STR 8

Who cares about -1 damage? To hit things I used finese, flurry, speed etc.

DEX 15

INt 8

he he. You can get your droids and stuff to do almost anything. Whty bother? You get a massive ONe poiint per level! You can still open early stuff with spikes and security tunnelers

CON

14 or 15 I think This is important since you cant get the implants without it. And the implants make up for the sucky start stats on STR.

WIS

CHR

Both of these I wanted high to makes saves as hard as popssible. It worked a treat. In the end even though I was only level 27, I had something like 520 Force points, I could use any alignment spell as often as I wanted. Saves were like 60.

I could even Stasis Darth Sion, and then just chop him. Took like 9 seconds to kill him.

I think I was consulat 16 Watchment 11 in the end. Though I may as well have stayed with Master I think. Having said that Sneak attack on stasis oppenents is fun.

For the last 10 levels of so of the game I could just do Stasis, then Force storm. NOBODY could save against it. so easy. Only the lady at the end was a bit tricky since she is cheap and her save is set to yout spell DC so she never fails...lol

Also, playing scewed characters I find can be a lot more fun than playing a vanilla "John Major" balanced char,.

Cheers

B

quote=jagji,Mar 20 2005, 10:00 PM]

I have cosento even my caricter, so he has a bit of every thing.

I normally use this setup:

STR - 16

DEX - 10

CON - 10

INT - 18

WIS - 8

CHA - 8

I use a Sentinel and if you don't put any points in Stealth (which is a waste of skill points anyway, you will have enough for the rest.

Since i never use force powers since they are way over powered, i don't lose out here.

You might say, with that DEX and CON, you are gonna die fast. (it makes no difference, even if DEX was 20 instead of 10, it doesn't decrease the chance to hit for the enemy (not that i have noticed anyway...the AI do just as much damage at just the same amount of time regardless of your dex levels.

I always end up editing the saved game anyway to give my party members robes and lightsabers since there is like a 5% chance you will get a single robe that will go to you and your party members will go robeless and saberless for 90% of the game.

If you never made your own saber, i doubt you would get a saber for the whole game either.

So, when i turn my team members into a jedi, i get them either a Saber, two sabers or saber staff, depending if they have dueling or two handed fighting feats.

If the loot wasn't so unrealistically random, i wouldn't need to do that.

Torren Onasi - Carths evil brother:...

I went for the standard guardian/marauder build

Str - 14

Dex - 14

Int - 14

Wis - 12

Char - 10

No need to put points into charisma cause my persuade skill is always maxed, never liked force powers so just enough in wisdom to make any bonus points form items on this attributes worth it.

From here on get constitution up to 18 and add the rest to strength, mabe a couple in Dex to get a good bonus.....

Prestige class 2 weapon fighting, master flurry

With Master Valour + Master Battle Meditation + Fury I can do A LOT of damage.

Str - 14

Dex - 14

Int - 14

Wis - 12

Char - 10

No need to put points into charisma cause my persuade skill is always maxed, never liked force powers so just enough in wisdom to make any bonus points form items on this attributes worth it.

From here on get constitution up to 18 and add the rest to strength, mabe a couple in Dex to get a good bonus..... 

I gather you wasn't too concerned with lack of skills

also, alot of people nag that the game is too easy, perhaps they are powergaming, because when i play normally, regardless if i put all my points on DEX, i get hurt alot and fast....so unless you plan to use blasters until you get your saber, DEX can stay on 10. (it would allow you to wear Armour with restrictions on DEX bonuses.

I have noticed that i pick up Mandalorian Armour (10-13 Defence 0 DEX Bonus) more often then i pick up a Jedi Robe, which is really annoying.

So, thanks to Kotor II's crappy random loot generator, i have gotten bored of force powers, so i tend to put no points in WIS or CHA. (and no, the random loot does not make me wanna play it again to see what i can get the next time...it puts me off)

It was cool on Diablo II because your powers that used Mana was never, ever restricted by your armor.

I personally find it stupid when Force powers are restricted by Armour (well, non-jedi Armour anyway) because if it blocks your powers, then it would technically make it useless against anyone wearing armour.

They could have at least made it easier for Robes and Sabers to be looted and i don't mean to mysteriously loot a lightsaber or a robe off of a droid. (it then gets extremely stupid)

If i knew how to mod, i would make a better random loot mod.

also, alot of people nag that the game is too easy, perhaps they are powergaming, because when i play normally, regardless if i put all my points on DEX, i get hurt alot and fast....so unless you plan to use blasters until you get your saber, DEX can stay on 10. (it would allow you to wear Armour with restrictions on DEX bonuses.

I have noticed that i pick up Mandalorian Armour (10-13 Defence 0 DEX Bonus) more often then i pick up a Jedi Robe, which is really annoying.

So, thanks to Kotor II's crappy random loot generator, i have gotten bored of force powers, so i tend to put no points in WIS or CHA. (and no, the random loot does not make me wanna play it again to see what i can get the next time...it puts me off)

It was cool on Diablo II because your powers that used Mana was never, ever restricted by your armor.

I personally find it stupid when Force powers are restricted by Armour (well, non-jedi Armour anyway) because if it blocks your powers, then it would technically make it useless against anyone wearing armour.

They could have at least made it easier for Robes and Sabers to be looted and i don't mean to mysteriously loot a lightsaber or a robe off of a droid. (it then gets extremely stupid)

You can get flexible heavy armor (def 12 I think) that allows a +3 Dex bonus, but yeah it still would restrict the battle meditation skill. So I havn't got the heavy armor feat yet.

Skills? all you really need is awareness - maybe intelligence - and persuade for the conversation options. Also have repair up, cause at the beginning I thought you might need it to repair HK-47. Obviuosely just use the other characters to make upgradeable parts, implants...

(I had it perfectly worked out for KOTOR 1. By level 20 my scoundrel 7/guardian 13 with the right items had 29 str, 25 Dex, and 19 Wis, plus plenty of skills)

Str - 14

Dex - 14

Int - 14

Wis - 12

Char - 10

Why don't you download the Mods that allows you to make Robes and armor on the workbench in the Ebon Hawk and other places? Real Jedi know how to sew :p

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."