What's your character build?

You can do what you like but going over 14 ends up wasting a lot of points I think.  -1 consitution thats gotta hurt.  No implants and you must have a really low hp.

I've already beaten the game, so I'm aware of what I'm gaining and losing. From a combat standpoint, the game is so easy that one couldn't make it challenging if one tried (which is completely fine with me - I'm playing for the story/dialogue), so having a very low Con, Str and Dex is fine in that respect. It's not gimped, because gimping a character is virtually impossible. Having a Con which prohibits useful Implant use is unfortunate, but for this playthrough, I'm putting a different spin on my character from what I did with my last consular, by having high Int to make necessary Int checks, instead of just high Wis with middling physical stats.

You can do what you like but going over 14 ends up wasting a lot of points I think.  -1 consitution thats gotta hurt.  No implants and you must have a really low hp.

I've already beaten the game, so I'm aware of what I'm gaining and losing. From a combat standpoint, the game is so easy that one couldn't make it challenging if one tried (which is completely fine with me - I'm playing for the story/dialogue), so having a very low Con, Str and Dex is fine in that respect. It's not gimped, because gimping a character is virtually impossible. Having a Con which prohibits useful Implant use is unfortunate, but for this playthrough, I'm putting a different spin on my character from what I did with my last consular, by having high Int to make necessary Int checks, instead of just high Wis with middling physical stats.

True enough. The game is pretty easy even when set to hard.

... for this playthrough, I'm putting a different spin on my character from what I did with my last consular, by having high Int to make necessary Int checks, instead of just high Wis with middling physical stats.

You can beat the INT checks even if you start with 14..15 INT or less, and even the 15 is only necessary if you want your character to beat absolutely every check that comes up, instead of delegating the job to one of your NPCs. There's also the Valour spell, then a certain robe in a certain museum that gives a big INT boost, and then there's implants.

My last character was an experiment to see what it would take to beat every skill check on difficult without a single exception. So I made a Guardian with 15 INT. The only reason for INT beyond 14 was that recovering average mines at level 7 (Peragus, Fuel Depot) requires an INT mod of 3 if the only available boosts are Valour and an item with +1 Demolition; for practical purposes it would have been to sufficient to disable the mines or simply disarm them by walking over them as Guardians usually do.

I agree with JediExile. Pushing attributes over 14 at creation goes beyond balancing/emphasizing, because of the cost involved. In your case each of the extra +1 modifiers for INT/WIS costs two mods elsewhere. KotOR2 is special in that your natural attributes don't matter much once you leave Peragus/Telos behind you, because of the extremely high boni from items and other sources (the only exception is CON, because of implants).

However, I think JediExile is right: you have gimped your character. That character will have to hide behind T3/Atton/Kreia for a long time or use medpacks/stims/shields/explosives, unless you prefer tactics like 'cast two spells, then run away and rest for half an hour'.

However, I think JediExile is right: you have gimped your character. That character will have to hide behind T3/Atton/Kreia for a long time or use medpacks/stims/shields/explosives, unless you prefer tactics like 'cast two spells, then run away and rest for half an hour'.

You should try it. It

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Face it, a character like Yst's cannot make it through Peragus without cheap tactics like

- using shields/stims/medpacks/explosives

- having Atton/Kreia tank

- exploiting weaknesses of the AI (very short awareness range, half-hearted 'follow through' on enemy sightings, no communication/coordination between mobs)

or all of the above.

Face it, a character like Yst's cannot make it through Peragus without cheap tactics like

- using shields/stims/medpacks/explosives

- having Atton/Kreia tank

These are common tactics when using a "mage" character. There

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

And how, I have to wonder, are shields, stims, medpacks and explosives cheap? Were they all put in the game specifically NOT to be used?

I was kind of wondering the same thing myself. :devil:

I tend to go the middling road with stats, since I play Sent's.

Such as 16 INT for the skills...10 in Wisdom (still get enough mana/do enough damage, with all the bonuses/items in the game) and Charisma (I pump Persuade and/or get Force Persaude & have no problems there...) and the rest into str & Con. I ignore Dex.

I was thinking for next time I may lower the int to 14 and put the points elsewhere, probably wisdom. The Sent. really doesn't need that many skill points.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I go

14 Str

12 Dex

12 Con

14 Int

12 Wis

14 Cha

Then I pump all my future points into wisdom and charisma with 2 going to both Str and Con.

My items are then geared to make me stronger more charismatic and more wisdom.

By the end I had a defense of 38, in robes, wielding two sabers both dealing in the range of 86-88. I was beastly.

i have a picture

Wow...it's blatantly obvious you cheated on this build. 210 STR, etc., etc...who are you trying to fool? Although there's no level cap I know of, no one's ever (to my knowledge) gotten near what you have. And you must not have talked to Kreia ever, or you would have gotten your PrC a lot sooner.

Live forever or die trying.

jengaaaaux2.gif

Of course he cheated. heh

What I want to know about that picture, however, is why, with all those beefed up stats etc, he has a Fortitude of minus 122? :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

And how, I have to wonder, are shields, stims, medpacks and explosives cheap?  Were they all put in the game specifically NOT to be used?

These things are way too powerful and cost way too little to be considered anything but cheap cop-outs. There are games where such things are viable, balanced parts of the gameplay; potions in the NWN games come time mind. But not in the KotOR games.

Throw a grenade and take out several droids in a single hit, without any risk, cost or ability (skill/feat/power/attribute) requirements whatsoever. Flip on an energy shield and you are basically immune to blaster fire for several minutes, again no risk, no ability requirements, and no cost. Let Mira flip on a melee shield and have her gun down Hanharr or the Kath Hounds at your leisure. Pop a couple of stims and for two minutes you have better stats than a decently built character, enough the clean out a whole level even with a completely botched build. Activate the Foothold Scenario and watch the XP accumulate as the game plays itself for you. I think you can see the pattern by now - no risk, no ability requirements, no cost. That is why these 'I win' buttons are cheap. And they would still be cheap even if you had to made do with whatever you find instead of being able to craft such items yourself or having your party members conjure unlimited quantities out of thin air.

As regards the use of NPCs: your NPCs are perfectly capable of obliterating the opposition without any help from the Exile, and in the levels where the Exile is solo all you have to do is take a leisurely stroll to the exit. You may have to push a button somewhere or bash a terminal, but that's all. So you can botch your character build all you want at no cost whatsoever; no need to balance various aspects, and no need to have a build where the progress is viable too, and not only the end result after ten or twenty levels.

Peeling small numbers of enemies from bigger groups: Sun-Tzu's 'injuring the corners' may be a valuable approach in general but in KotOR it is so trivially easy to pick off enemies one by one that this strategy can only be considered cheap. AFAICS think the awareness/activation range of mobs is even shorter than the range of a blaster rifle or grenade throw ... There are a few exceptions - like when groups of enemies spawn on top of you or a script dumps you in front of a pack - where you actually have to use some tactics to divide and conquer. But these are rare.

I gather from the original poster that essentially using any tactics, party strategies or items whatsoever is considered cheap.

LOL, coming from somebody who is playing a Consular that's rather rich. Since when does paralyzing a roomfull of enemies with a single spell require anything even remotely resembling tactics? Or is spamming Force Storm/Wave any more demanding?

There is nothing dishonourable in throwing a grenade into a pack of droids and watching the fireworks, or laying an elaborate mine field and luring a pack of enemies into it, or making a couple dozen enemies converge in the middle of a room and then killing them all with a couple of Force Storms/Waves, or triggering the Foothold Scenario and enjoying the resulting mayhem, and so on. It is great fun for a couple of times. Some people even have fun slaying endless hordes of Hssiss on Korriban in order to reach insanely high character levels, or doing elaborate procedures in order to duplicate items. Whatever.

But on the gaming level where you focus on the underlying d20 game and discuss things like the merits of various character builds, different considerations apply. And on that level of discourse the pushing if no-brainer 'I win' buttons is certainly dishonourable and cheap, as is the use of overly powerful items that are there so that RPG newbies can muddle through without becoming frustrated.

what, exactly, is the "Foothold Scenario"?

Slice the security terminal in the area before the tomb on Dxun and access the system commands. Select "run the 'Foothold' scenario". Watch. :D

For that to happen, you need a character with a decent Computer skill. At one time, I sent Atton, Visas and Handmaiden. None of whom I pumped up computer skill. Had to do things the hard way LOL.