The Mandalorian Wars - the right decision?

Was it the right decision to fight in the Mandalorian Wars?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Was it the right decision to fight in the Mandalorian Wars?

• Yes, innocents were suffering
    • No, they should have obeyed the council
    • No, The Rebublic was weak and not worth it

It was a decision made for a lot of reasons, IMO, not the least of which may be that the Force guided them into it. Revan, at the time, was young and headstrong and impatient. Pretty full of himself--powerful in the Force, and he knew it. He felt a need to do something about the slaughter, and was idealistic (arrogant?) enough to believe he could. Perhaps he was a bit of a rebel against the teachings, believing on some level that these old Masters had become 'set' and 'complacent'. His instinctive grasp of tactics left him few options, if the Mandalorians were to be stopped.

People rallied behind him. Exile was one of them, and while he was a more tempered individual, he agreed that the Jedi Council was taking too long from a moral standpoint. I believe his was a more conscious choice than many of the Jedi who listened to Malak and Revan, but I doubt much time was spent in deliberation. This was right, and everything else seemed wrong. And people followed him, too.

While it becomes apparent that the threat that the Jedi Council was assessing was the manipulation behind the Mandalorians (the true Sith), it also becomes apparent that if they had decided to try to counter it, they would have been annihilated. They would have basically ignored the Mandalorians, and they were not prepared or capable of dealing with the enemy.

Even if there was something behind the scenes manipulating the Mandalorians, they would not have stopped rampaging through the galaxy, because of their nature. Millions more would have died, something Jedi could not ignore. Revan's choice was the right one.

like kalimeeri suggested you have to assume that the mandalorians would have continued to push into republic space untill they were stopped.

Maybe the council would have done something when mandalorian cruisers started bombarding their temple on corusant. :lol:

Even though i'm all for the Sith, it just wouldn't be a good idea to let the Mandalorians have taken over. The Sith apparantly retreated during the war, like the cowards Revan and Malak turned them into, and therefore the Mandalorians would have destroyed the Republic had it not been for the Jedi.

Plus, if the Republic had fallen, there wouldn't be any more Republic soldiers for the Sith to slaughter! :devil:

Perhaps there is some truth to that argument. But the Republic was the only structure that was preventing total chaos. It was at least some unity, or the galaxy would be fodder to any attacker.

True. I would vote on nr 1 because i think it was the right decision to go to war but not because innocents were suffering :devil: I'm more of a Sith guy so i don't care much for the Republic. So, yes it was the right decision to go to war but not to save innocents or the Republic. Yes i know. I'm an evil bastard :devil:

The jedi are weak fools. Always waiting. Always hesitant to take action. Lotta Good it did them to go into hiding and "wait" for the true threat to reveal itself in K2!!

Another GREAT PLAN from the Jedi Council!

Like I said in the tomb on Korriban: "They're misguided fools. When aren't they wrong?!"

Or something to that effect. lol.

The Jedi Council wasn't going to determine what the true threat was or who was manipulating the mandalorians by just sitting back and doing nothing. The only way to discover it (as Revan obviously did) was to take the fight to the Mandalorians and defeat them.

It was stated in K1 that after the Mandalorian wars, Revan took his fleet to unknown regions. Why would he do that if not for the fact that he discovered who was manipulating the mandalorians? Hmm?

Seems to me that the council was pretty quick to pass sentence on the exile (both times). Perhaps they really were wrong about Revan too. Perhaps it was the council that refused to accept Revan as a Jedi after he defeated the Mandalorians.

Think about it. How much do we really know about the events that took place just prior to K1? We only know what the Jedi told us. And we know all about Jedi "truths" from a certain point of view!

What if upon returning to Republic space, the Jedi dispatched Bastilla and the Jedi Knights to caputre Revan, because unlike the exile, Revan didn't return to the council to face sentence. Perhaps the part of Revan attacking the Republic was totally made up. Perhaps the Jedi simply took it that because Revan went to war that he had turned on the Order by disobeying the council.

I'm starting to think the Jedi Council may be more to blame for the actions that transpired after the Mandalorian Wars than we were led to believe.

I thought at first the council might have been right, but by the end of the game I realized the council wasn't as wise as they thought they were. I get that same feeling from watching EP1 and EP2 and here I always thought the Jedi knew everything.

I thought at first the council might have been right, but by the end of the game I realized the council wasn't as wise as they thought they were.  I get that same feeling from watching EP1 and EP2 and here I always thought the Jedi knew everything.

I voted yes it was dumb to sit and wait they new they could not see through the force because they were blinded by the darkside. Waiting for the true enemy to reveal themselves would only give the enemy more time to plan and perfect there attack while the council had no clue what was going on they would all die in a single glorious day :p.

like kalimeeri suggested you have to assume that the mandalorians would have continued to push into republic space untill they were stopped.

Maybe the council would have done something when mandalorian cruisers started bombarding their temple on corusant.  :p

No worries - Palps and Vader got that base covered. :o

manthing2.jpg

I voted yes, though kotor 2 changes the story. I thought it was clear the greater threat the jedi council were referring to was the corruption of revan and malak and the star forge and their assault. But then in kotor 2 the devs decided 'the true sith' was the greater threat, so i'm not sure there is much continuity in assessing the decision....

Though either way, the mandalorians needed to be stopped, and in the end, revans assault was also stopped and if he hadn't attacked the mandalorians he wouldn't have uncovered the knowledge of the nature of the threat and there would be one less great jedi out there stopping them

Seems to me that the council was pretty quick to pass sentence on the exile (both times).  Perhaps they really were wrong about Revan too.  Perhaps it was the council that refused to accept Revan as a Jedi after he defeated the Mandalorians. 

Think about it.  How much do we really know about the events that took place just prior to K1?  We only know what the Jedi told us.  And we know all about Jedi "truths" from a certain point of view! 

That's true. The Jedi Council enjoyed their power, and they were resistant to any change for fear they might lose it. After all, their method had worked for how many hundreds of years? They were secure, and both Revan and Exile were a threat to that security. I see a lot of payback involved in the way they handled the whole Revan issue, too. It was crude, and more than heavily ironic to turn him back on himself.

The people who have the power write the history books. They teach it THEIR way.

But in the meeting with exile, I believed them when they said they felt something (or the lack of something, an echo) from the outer rim. They just didn't know what it was, and they were afraid. They felt it from Exile, and it frightened them because it was so close--so badly that they instantly sent him away. Atris even wanted him killed. When he came BACK, and was able to find them, it was time for 'astalavista'.

The Jedi Council is too confident in their decisions aswell. They think that all of their decisions are right and that they are never wrong. Apart from that super mustache jedi master (can't remember his name :D ) i never heard a member of the council say "we were wrong". Just because they are jedi doesn't mean they are always right. Everybody makes mistakes.

The problem was the Jedi had no out. I think the true Sith planned it like this.

Action: The Mandalorians attack. They are tougher than the Republic, and will win without Jedi aid.

Reaction 1: Jedi decide to do nothing. Republic is destroyed, Jedi are in impossible position. Without the Republic, they will be defeated, if not by the Mandalorians, than by the true Sith.

Reaction 2: Jedi go to help. Jedi destroy Mandalorians, but might well be forced to make a choice like those that followed Revan, and decide between the Dark Side, death, or cutting oneself off from the Force.

Reaction 3: Some Jedi fight, some Jedi refuse. This creates a split in the order, as those returning from the conflict may well have been required to turn from the light, or even without this, would have nothing but disdain for those who refused to fight against the Mandalorians, those that fought had secured the safety of those who remained behind. If these divisions are serious enough, there will be civil war, and the Jedi will be all but destroyed.

In each case, the true Sith win. The Jedi may not have option open to them that allows them victory. The only option that might secure the Jedi's position is Reaction 2, and that is unlikely, given the state of the Jedi Council, and thus, the true Sith need not worry about it.

I think that if the Jedi had protected the Republic, there would be no Darth Revan and Darth Malak. No Malachor V disaster. No extinction of the Jedi. Had they all entered, had the Council not feared the future, Revan would have never been. There would be no division in the Jedi, the Madalorians would've fallen quicker, more lives would be saved, and there would be no return of the Sith. If the Council chose to protect the Republic, rather than the Jedi, the galaxy would be safe. There would of course, be no KoTOR video game. :D ;)

Foolish, blind Jedi. You're there to protect the Republic, not yourselves. A Jedi's life is sacrifice. :devil:

You are a Jedi Knight...and as such you sworn yourself to the Jedi order, and are to take orders from your leaders and the council! ;)

Damn my sense of loyalty... :devil:

Maybe if/when the patch comes out I'll play DS and give them the single finger salute with a side of eat my @$$ ;)

You are a Jedi Knight...and as such you sworn yourself to the Jedi order, and are to take orders from your leaders and the council!  ;)

Damn my sense of loyalty...  :devil:

Maybe if/when the patch comes out I'll play DS and give them the single finger salute with a side of eat my @$$  ;)

You don't have to be darkside. You cold just be neutral like Jolee or Kreia. Neither Jedi nor Sith.

I said No.

True the Republic was in danger, however we never really know if the republic could stand on its own. The jedi for along time where holding the republic together. Just think how much stronger the republic could have been if it rallyed every planet under it and some unclaim worlds to fight the Mandalorians. Better yet if they win without the jedi how much more united the republic would be. Taris people fighting along aliens from other worlds. Saving each other lifes.

Let the republic lead instead of the jedi. The Jedi could help but they would no longer be needed as they once where.

The Jedi just weaken the Republic by fixing the problems. I found that the lesson in KOTOR 2.

You are a Jedi Knight...and as such you sworn yourself to the Jedi order, and are to take orders from your leaders and the council!  ;)

Damn my sense of loyalty...  :devil:

Maybe if/when the patch comes out I'll play DS and give them the single finger salute with a side of eat my @$$  ;)

Who's more the fool? The fool, or the fool who follows? I probably got that wrong. But you get it. Jedi are supposed to protect the Republic. They failed to do so. Someone had to act. Someone had to rebel against the "wisdom" of the council, and save the galaxy.

As for the Jedi, they were going to sit there and meditate until the Mandalorians blow up their stupid temple on Coruscant. Then they would get mad. Then, maybe they would've had a meeting, to discuss a meeting place to plan an attack against the new rulers of the galaxy, the Mandalorian Regime.