What I for one expect from future games.

Moribunny

Well, generally everybody knows what's good and what's bad. It's just a matter of emphasis. I suppose different people might prioritize differently. I wanna toss my two cents in and see if anyone agrees or how flamed am I going to get.

1. Player character customizability and developement.

This is the #1 reason I play RPGs. This is the one thing that no other genre has and grabs me so much. I like to get the illusion that my trip through the gameworld is unique, that I'm creating a PC like no one else's, making em as powerful as possible in their own truly personalized way. This is also what gives RPGs replayability for me. If I know from the start that there are very few ways to make a really kickass character (example: they'd have to be a fighting class and polarized to either the light side or the dark side), it really kills replayability. So basically the more classes/class combos/attribs/skills/feets/perks/etc. the better, especially if you're quite limited within a very wide set of choices o:) .

2. Non-linear gaming!!!

Who cares about the main plot? Let me explore, just make em all side-quests for all I care, stretched-out a little so they take longer to do. I like it the best if I can go back and forth between places I've been just following my own trail of things to do. I don't like the parts where you get caged in one particular place and have to work on one particular quest just to get out of there <_< . Similarly, I hate when you can't go back and do things you skipped in places that will never again be reachable. So basically, the less linear the better.

3. And ofcourse, playability, balance, the very basics.

Those are my personal top priorities, and then there's everything else, like: interesting NPCs (I can take em or leave them. In a way I like it better when you can create the whole party of PCs like in Icewind Dale. It makes their developement interactive), an original plot/gameworld (they're never that original anyway. No biggie), GFX and sound - beh.. those are all great to have if my first conditions are met. Otherwise they won't really elevate the game beyond a certain point.

Don't get me wrong, I love you guys, I love what these companies have done (Black Isle / Bioware / Obsidian / etc.), I've just gotten really spoiled after playing all those superb renaisannce masterpieces. I'm just saying what I think should be emphasized, and maybe if god likes me I can sway some public opinion over to my side. :ph34r:

• 1 year later...

Yeah I fully agree!

In other games you see some sex stuff sometimes some bloody things... GTA and some other first person shooter games... You see, RPGs is the true games. They are based on living in a world that have been altered by the authors of the game.

I believe that developers, before making their game, knows what could be a good way of making a game, but sometimes it would take way to long time. But they dont know that those games that take much time to make pays off better.

Moribunny should try Wizardry 8.

6 player created characters, can be a combo of any class even a Faerie barbarian/mage, fully open-ended explorable world, varied environments, many skills and abilities for every character to learn, etc.

The only problem I found with this game is the combat. Not that it's badly designed but there just is too much of it. You can often be attacked by over 30-40 leveled enemies at once even at the very start of the game, when your party of 6 is still lvl 2-3. Hard.

Moribunny needs to get Oblivion and Morrowind, not a overheating paperweight that uses antiquated technology.  :o

But Oblivion is on that paper weight.

*fixed by AKJ

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I believe that developers, before making their game, knows what could be a good way of making a game, but sometimes it would take way to long time. But they dont know that those games that take much time to make pays off better.

If I recall, that's partially why BioWare is making DragonAge, so they don't have to deal with another's expectations as much, like Hasbro & WOTC.

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

Moribunny needs to get Oblivion and Morrowind, not a overheating paperweight that uses antiquated technology.  :blink:

Buy Oblivion is on that paper weight.

What the hell? I could have sworn I put a T at the end of Bu.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

• 1 year later...
I suspect my viewpoint will not be particularly popular, what I would really like to see are more games that actually teach and encourage cooperation rather than warfare.

Those ideas aren't mutually excusive. It takes real cooperation to fight a war. After all, not only do different governments cooperate against a common enemy, but different divisions within each government must cooperate as well.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I suspect my viewpoint will not be particularly popular, what I would really like to see are more games that actually teach and encourage cooperation rather than warfare.

i've found that most games revolve around stoping a war that has allready started.

war sucks, i've been there.......

grrrrrr, why do i keep spelling "and" as "nad", or "driven" as "drivven".

damn you lexdixa, damn you to hell