1. 1. does anyone else play SWG?

• Yes
    • No
    • did, but quit
    • No, but I want to try it
    • No, It looks really gay
    • No, I dont know anything about it
    • Yes, and It PwNs

I disagree with the Online gaming model.

Think about it. KOTORII, you dish out $50 and can play it as many times as you want.

SWG (and other similar games) you dish out $50 (I guess they've dropped it to $30 now?) and then pay a monthly fee on top of that to play the game. Stop paying the monthly fee, and you get a nice shiny $50 coaster!

No thanks.

I participated in the Beta Test of Matrix Online. Wasn't impressed. Wouldn't pay the $50 and monthly fee to play that game. I imagine that SWG is no different.

I disagree with the Online gaming model.

Think about it.  KOTORII, you dish out $50 and can play it as many times as you want.

SWG (and other similar games) you dish out $50 (I guess they've dropped it to $30 now?)  and then pay a monthly fee on top of that to play the game.  Stop paying the monthly fee, and you get a nice shiny $50 coaster!

I guess how you look at this depends on how much replayability you demand from your single player games. I don't feel ripped off by a game that I only play through once, for 50-100 hours, then finish and don't play again, as long as I enjoyed it. There are even games I don't finish, spend under 50 hours on, and don't feel ripped off by, because the experience was sufficiently worthwhile. I don't have enough free time in my life to play the 20-30 good games that come out every year for several hundred hours each. That's crazy. So if I can get a good experience in less than that, it's all well and good.

If every game you ever buy absolutely must have several hundred hours of gameplay (by replays, or by sheer content) in it to be a legitimate purchase at $50, then I guess MMORPGs, where the price of entry is $0-$50 + $10-18/month might seem unreasonable at the very top end of the pricing scale because you can't get those hundreds of hours of gameplay in before you top that figure, and can't get several hundred hours in within a single month, but even there, you're only making an exception for the most expensive MMORPGs on the market. When I reopened my AC1 account last month and played for maybe 50 hours, it cost me $10. There's no box price, either for new players or old ones. By comparison to AC1, KotOR's pricing model is a ripoff, it would seem. But, really, it seems to me, making the comparison in the first place is a bit silly. They're very different products.