CRPGs suggestions??

alx1078

I'm almost done with my second play through of KOTOR II as DSM, and find myself not knowing what to play now... :wub:

I'm reaching a point where i'm close to installing KOTOR again and playing it for the fourth time, or even worse BG II and playin it for the gazillionth time.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

Alex

PS- I'm more interested in the story, characters and interactions aspects of RPGs not so much the rules (i never cared whether a game had 3rd edition rules or whatever). Also i don't care much for hack 'n slash style junk like Diablo or IWD. Favorites incl. BG II, PS Torment, KOTOR, FF 8 & 9.

Tried Gothic, Morrowind, Divine Divinity and Bloodlines but soon lost interest in them.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

Alex

Mumble, mumble...Well, you pretty much tried them all! :)

I don't see Deus Ex 1 mentioned: in my opinion, so far it's the best CRPG post year 2000, but, beside opinions, it's a very interesting blend between genres.

Wide options to develop your character (difficult to become a so called "cookie-cutter"), multiple choices to resolve quests/getting past opponents, good mix between straight on fights, stealth and dialogue options. Story is quite engrossing...Well, I just love it and can't avoid advising its purchase :)

Don't be negatively impressed by the reviews the sequel ("Deus Ex: Invisible War") got...The first episode is a totally different thing in terms of Roleplaying and gameplay experience, and was created by one of the greatest designers out there, Warren Spector.

Oh, and if you just forgot to mention you already played Deus Ex...Well, it may be good for someone else to try it out! :-

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

I don't see Deus Ex 1 mentioned: in my opinion, so far it's the best CRPG post year 2000, but, beside opinions, it's a very interesting blend between genres.

Many times i was on the verge of buying Deus Ex as i have heard quite a few positive reviews about it, but every time i changed my mind. I don't know something about it always threw me off. Maybe i'll have to give it a try.

Have you played Fallout? If not check it out. It's a great turn based RPG.

Twice i started both of them (FO & FO 2) and twice i gave up, simply because i can't stand all this turn based nonsense. It just gets on my nerves that you have to calculate each friggin square or you might loose a turn! And mice! AAARRRGG!!!!!!

You mean formulaic story driven games.  If you played one FF you have played them all.

Not really, there are common elements , but no more than you would find in a D&D game.

There are more than just the FF games you know :D It's just that the FF games tend to be the cream.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Yes, I reckon you've just about played 'em all. If you enjoyed BG2, why not install a load of mods?

Use a reputable site like Pocket Plane and you'll seriously have a totally different game on your hands (especially if you like NPCs). Also, BG1 with BG TuTu is a lot of fun.

Most recent CRPGs have been hack & slash. You are going to have to go back in time. I've not played Gothic I or II but some people seem to like them. And Fallout 1 & 2 are worth a look (I prefer FO2 but thats just me).

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Anachronox is a cool game.

The game is set in space and turned based, but it has really quirky humor and some outrageaous NPCs. The story is pretty good too.

Its a 3D RPG with the 3rd person view point. Kinda like a old version of KotOR.

Try it out if you can find it for PC.

Did you try all the mods for Morrowind? There's a ton of them...

But yeah, agree with the others....you've tried most of the known good ones... :devil:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Give Arx Fatalis a try, plus all of the others mentioned. If you get Morrowind or NWN, though, make sure you have agood internet connection, because without mods, these games suck. For Morrowind you need mods to make it look good and for the world to actually be interesting. For NWN you need to download mods that act as their own game, because the OC for all but HotU suck.

However, Arx Fatalis is a cross between Gothic and Morrowind with Black and White casting, so you probably won't like that either.

Someone mentioned BG Mods. Can anyone suggest any good Mods they have actually tried? NPCs Storylines whatever...

As for Bloodlines, i just couldn't be bothered after about 3 hours of play. It just didn't do it for me.

NWN i have played through it and have finished it. I quite enjoyed it apart from the ending which was plain... :blink:

I really still rate BG2 - the devs paid far more attention to the story back in the olden days...

Neverwinter Nights is another good one (the original wasn't great but the expansions are much better). Anyone had any thoughts about Bard's Tale, whenever that's coming out?

Also, if you are not bothered by somewhat old graphics, you could purchase an authentic jewel: "The Ultimate RPG Archive", released by Interplay around...umm, '97? (shouldn't be really expensive). Titles:

- Bard's Tale 1, 2, 3 (the first and third episode are among the greatest CRPG ever, IMO), Bard's Tale Construction set

- Dragon Wars

- Wasteland

- Wizardry Gold

- Might & Magic World of Xeen

- Stonekeep

- Ultima Underworld I : The Stygian Abyss

- Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds (my favorite CRPG of all time)

It's really a must buy, maybe mostly for those people who actually had the chance of trying them at the time of release (hence didn't consider the graphics "dated" or anything), but also for all the people out there who love the CRPG genre.

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

Also, if you are not bothered by somewhat old graphics, you could purchase an authentic jewel: "The Ultimate RPG Archive", released by Interplay around...umm, '97? (shouldn't be really expensive). Titles:

- Bard's Tale 1, 2, 3 (the first and third episode are among the greatest CRPG ever, IMO), Bard's Tale Construction set

- Dragon Wars

- Wasteland

- Wizardry Gold

- Might & Magic World of Xeen

- Stonekeep

- Ultima Underworld I : The Stygian Abyss

- Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds (my favorite CRPG of all time)

It's really a must buy, maybe mostly for those people who actually had the chance of trying them at the time of release (hence didn't consider the graphics "dated" or anything), but also for all the people out there who love the CRPG genre.

But good luck getting them to play properly on a modern machine. The soundcard settings are particularly difficult to get right.

Get all yer old DOS CRPG's here http://www.abandonia.com/genre.php?genre=rpg&page=0

..and DOSbox is very easy to run, so you really have no excuse not to play.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "