Withholding Levels

In KotOR 1, I learnt about the saving levels after a particular point (so you've sorta pre-planned in a way). For those who haven't played K1 or don't know about this tactic, it was to maximise your Jedi Levels (for more powers and Force points) while making sure you got some useful skills/feats from the starting base class. Again, you would've looked at the tables in the K1 manual to plan when to stop.

Is there a point to holding levels in KotOR 2? The main class change in the game is when you pick the Prestige class, but considering how I only made it to around level 23 or so (and apparently the cap is 50), is there a point to saving Level Ups? Any reasons at all - feats, quests, powers, characters?

I've only played one game of K2 and in that I didn't withhold.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

In KotOR 1, I learnt about the saving levels after a particular point (so you've sorta pre-planned in a way). For those who haven't played K1 or don't know about this tactic, it was to maximise your Jedi Levels (for more powers and Force points) while making sure you got some useful skills/feats from the starting base class. Again, you would've looked at the tables in the K1 manual to plan when to stop.

Is there a point to holding levels in KotOR 2? The main class change in the game is when you pick the Prestige class, but considering how I only made it to around level 23 or so (and apparently the cap is 50), is there a point to saving Level Ups? Any reasons at all - feats, quests, powers, characters?

I've only played one game of K2 and in that I didn't withhold.

I NEVER withhold...I just go Guardian/SL/JM, by the time I hit prest, my Guardian is hell-on-wheels with both his feats AND my build ALWAYS has at least 200 FP's by the time he hits SL/JM, so he has insane combat ability and then insane Force ability once he hits Lvl 15 :thumbsup:

I love spamming Drain Life and Lightning, then setting my allies to Grenadier and watching as they get owned in less than 30 secs, even when using Hardcore with the hardest settings :thumbsup:

Pwuhahahahah...I remember when I was fighting on Onderon and fighting all of those peons that Vaklu throws at ya, I just made sure to let them get all bounched together, then I just kept spamming powers and letting my allies bombard them with Plasmas and Thermals :p

For the bosses, they got pwned by all the Guardian's feats, I remember when I decided to tackle Dantooine first and got tangled with Vrook...That was the HARDEST fight I have ever had, when using Hardcore with maximum settings...Vrook just kept spamming Master Flurry and nearly killed me in one attack, I must've used 30 adv. medpacs in that fight alone ;)

The easiest way is to sit there with about 5 thermals and run very fast behind the trees to either side, vrook will stay where he is as soon as you get behind the trees, and if you move just right, you can get the drop on him with the thermals and the spam him with Lightning before he even gets to you....That was the only way I could handle Vrook...I couldn't match him in a direct fight while I was level 13, so I just side-stepped him and abused the trees ;)

I always go to each planet to shop before I even start the missions...That way when I rush Vrook first, I have some thermals and adv. medpacs ;)

It kinda sucked that you had no allies when dueling with the Masters, it would have allowed you to catch your breath easier...Sigh...

Vrook has to be the hardest fight in the game if you decide to take him first...I never once had a problem with anyone else in the game...Vrook is just hell if you're low-level...The only way I can even hit him is with detonators and lightning, everything else won't even touch him and all the stimming/support powers won't help a single bit either.

I save levels for the characters I want to Jedify, if I don't get around to it in a timely fashion.

I didn't even know (when I started) that characters could even be "Jedi-fied".

So yes, good to save levels up for them so they can build up to a half-decent Jedi in one hit.

I'm a Stun-then-kill type player, so I suppose I could save up levels so when I go prestige, I can get a lot of the sneak-attacks (Jedi Watchman?).

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

I save levels for the characters I want to Jedify, if I don't get around to it in a timely fashion.

So yes, good to save levels up for them so they can build up to a half-decent Jedi in one hit.

I'm a Stun-then-kill type player, so I suppose I could save up levels so when I go prestige, I can get a lot of the sneak-attacks (Jedi Watchman?).

Hm...It's a matter of what does the most damage and allows you to survive the most hits at the same time ;)

With the Guard/SL/JM, you cover all your bases, you have deadly ranged attacks and when the enemy is close enough and/or you somehow exaust your FP's, you can run them down with sabers that have 50-100 damage each ;)

heheheh....Try getting sabers that do 50-100 with master flurry and both regen abilities and full toughness and conditioning ;) There is no one that can beat that combo, and I mean NO ONE :devil:

*Starts playing Adema and turns off the ingame music as he runs down everything in the game in two hits*

Pwned :devil:

Now where's the fun in stun+kill? Be that as it may, I have heard that Sneak Attack works in conjunction with Force Jump. If that is indeed so then Guardian/Watchman (or Assassin) may have some unique fun potential that other combos don't have. I think one of the party members can do Scoundrel/Guardian, so you don't have to use the Exile for this.

I wouldn't bother saving levels for the sake of waiting for a Prestige Class. After all, isn't one of the requirements for even being able to get a Prestige Class that you have to be Level 15?

It's not worth it, except for some companions if you want more jedi levels. The only time you might want to save a level or two is if you get prestige eligability before you get to the first planet.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Levelling up in the middle of a fight is a handy way to get full health without using an action...

Did that with Mira on Nar Shadaa.

I guess the real question is, do you need to actually be level 15 to get a prestige class? Or do you just need the xp equivalent of level 15?

If the latter, I imagine it would still be harder to do in KOTOR II than I because you don't have someone to do all the dirty work for you (until the Ravager, and then you don't want to level Atton either).

Still, it would be an interesting challenge.

I find that there is no need to save levels for anyone in this game. Mira/Bao I want to get their skills around 15-20 before I turn them into Jedi. I find they don't use their force powers anyway so the only reason to turn them to jedi is so they can use a lightsabre or get force deflection.

I find they don't use their force powers anyway so the only reason to turn them to jedi is so they can use a lightsabre or get force deflection.

Are you setting their AI to use force powers?

I would never do that. If you set them up to Jedi Support all they do is spam force powers. That may be okay for a counsler, but there characters duel to guardians and sentinals.

Well I suppose I won't save up levels for my Exile, but I might save up levels for characters I want to Jedify early (not sure who yet), but in most cases levels for NPC's don't change much cos I most of them are stuck on the ship where I do most of the talking.

the end point - I'll play as normal :shifty:

sigpic0yb.jpg