you cant fool true Star Wars fanatics!

If you really want to know how I feel about OE ...

I was not too happy about KotOR II anoucement, I was suprised by the anoucement listed as gameplay alterations since in my view that sould be the last thing they sould be doing.

KotOR2 was released, you can all blame LucasArts for it but OE is to blame as well, I doubt LucasArts was that involved in such decisions as BAB progression and epic levels ... not to say the game ends up trying to be "better" that KotOR in relation to ideas and it stops being Star Wars, like it or not Star Wars is a B movie plot ... not a Stanley Kubrick movie.

I have to say this, I find it very funny how OE tries to brush off KotOR failures when its about NwN with such comments as they are diferent publishers.

Atari is no diferent that LucasArts ... people that played NwN remenbered the game was riddled with small bugs and that later patches introduced new bugs, also Atari published ToEE and we all remenber what happened to that one.

I hold no love over LucasArts but I am not going to excuse OE from what they did, as a first title they appear to be the another Troika.

drakron.png

It's just too bad that we can't 'Try before we buy' in the movie and game industry.  We get to test drive our vehicles before purchasing them and we get to examine a house before buying one.  We can indeed see if our furniture has been finished or not and we can tell if our food we ordered is indeed what we wanted.

We also can't make exact copies of homes and furniture and then return them after we have tested them out or looked them over.

As far as the game and the posted article goes, I am tired of reading the same old reasons for why people don't like the game. Most of this comes from over analyzing. If you really thought about what happened in the game you would see that yes it seemed unfinished, but the story had the strength to make The Sith Lords a good game and well worth my 50 bucks. I really don't know what everyone was expecting.

It's just too bad that we can't 'Try before we buy' in the movie and game industry.  We get to test drive our vehicles before purchasing them and we get to examine a house before buying one.  We can indeed see if our furniture has been finished or not and we can tell if our food we ordered is indeed what we wanted.

We also can't make exact copies of homes and furniture and then return them after we have tested them out or looked them over.

As far as the game and the posted article goes, I am tired of reading the same old reasons for why people don't like the game. Most of this comes from over analyzing. If you really thought about what happened in the game you would see that yes it seemed unfinished, but the story had the strength to make The Sith Lords a good game and well worth my 50 bucks. I really don't know what everyone was expecting.

1.) Yes I know we can't do that and that is why I stated it is 'too bad we can't do that'. Who is over analyzing now?

2.) If you don't like reading it then don't.

3.) The problem isn't the story. That was just annoying, like a bad ending to a great movie. The problem is the bugs that got by beta testing for the Xbox and then somehow got through to the PC.

The readme.txt file stated that KOTOR2 crashes if you remain in a place for too long without going to a new 'zone' within a certain time limit. How many products are sold in that state outside of the entertainment industry. I don't see a brand new Ford F250 stalling on the side of the road because you haven't turned on the air conditioner in the last 45 minutes.

1.) Yes I know we can't do that and that is why I stated it is 'too bad we can't do that'. Who is over analyzing now?

2.) If you don't like reading it then don't.

3.) The problem isn't the story. That was just annoying, like a bad ending to a great movie. The problem is the bugs that got by beta testing for the Xbox and then somehow got through to the PC.

The readme.txt file stated that KOTOR2 crashes if you remain in a place for too long without going to a new 'zone' within a certain time limit. How many products are sold in that state outside of the entertainment industry. I don't see a brand new Ford F250 stalling on the side of the road because you haven't turned on the air conditioner in the last 45 minutes.

You obviously have never owned a Ford Taurus.

That aside, I agree with you that major factor in why most people feel ripped off is the bug factor. This game had the feeling of a "pre-release candidate". The story falls under "had potential". It wasn't the best story in the world but if given the proper treatment, it could come off as one. Too much of the full story relied on many cut-scenes, some of which were only triggered when you jumped over hurdle A, swung on rope C, hopped in a circle and nailed a three point shot. K1's story was just as good as K2, however it had proper treatment and a fully realized ending. I still get shivers at how utterly cliched the LS ending was in K1 but I still enjoyed it and it was saved from totaly lameness by the production.

Overall, TSL is the gaming equivalent to the reason why I now rent movies instead of watching them in the theaters. I didn't expect it to live up to K1, since very few sequels do, but I was not expecting to be let down as much as I was.

I'm all upset about how the ending basically sucked and how the game was lacking, but there are many posts about it. Must we start griping for the billionth time in another post?

Truth is, nobody cares if you traded your game. Maybe there should just be a stickied complaining post because there are way too many popping up.

And why would you trade your game? I love my KotOR II copy -- I'm replaying it, too. I replayed KotOR I about eight times before I bought KotOR II. Why? Because I love it. I'm playing KotOR II about half as many times but why am I replaying it? Well, maybe to get the full product. Did YOU replay Male DS/LS and Female DS/LS? I am going to. Besides, Obsidian is a new comapny and they did their best in the time they were given. If you want to point fingers, blame Lucas Arts. They "gave Obsidian a ridiclous time plan" or "LA didn't give Obsidian enough resources".

But why complain? You can't change the endings and cut content and everything you hate about the game complaining. If you want to make somewhat of a difference, learn to mod and then put the scripts and cut things back in the game.

The article in the link is just some game critic complaining about the game's inability to give the gamer any sorts of closure.

Sorry, I'm just kind of sick of hearing people saying "The ending sucks" in about 20 different threads.

But maybe focus on the good qualities:

the music, the scenes on the Ebon Hawk between the characters, the voices... :shifty:

signature2.jpg

Fanfics:

KotOR II: After the Credits Rolled: Read

Force Sight: Read

Other:

Gaming Blog: Read

Dunno about the rest of you, but I traded it in because the $40 that blockbuster gave me for it was too sweet to pass up. ^^;

To me, sleepless nights playing KotOR 2 because you are truly addicted, conversing about it on the forums, and experminting with it are priceless things. ^_^

signature2.jpg

Fanfics:

KotOR II: After the Credits Rolled: Read

Force Sight: Read

Other:

Gaming Blog: Read

I was utterly ridiculed by the syncophants on this site when I expressed my displeasure over KOTOR II.

I was called all kinds of names for expressing my opinion on an incomplete game.

As opposed to the way you didn't call anyone a name for disagreeing with you.

Oh wait, you started out your own post by doing so. Weird how that works.

I'd say people get on your case more for HOW you post than for WHAT you post. :thumbsup:

Sincerely,

Sycophant GhostofAnakin

ps. "sycophant" doesn't have a "n" in it. So before making fun of someone's spelling or grammar, try to keep that in mind. :thumbsup:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

as usual, the syncophants come to the rescue.

a predictable response from a non-critical thinker

fact 1

Obsidian developed KOTOR II

fact 2

Obsidian made some FATAL errors in the game design

fact 3

If Obsidian makes KOTOR III, intelligent people wont buy it

(this doesnt apply to you)

fact 4

you and all the other morons on this site that continue to defend this game will buy ANYTHING that Obsidian puts out. Therefore, your opinion doesnt matter

fact 5

The gaming community doesnt tolerate bad games being sold for $50.00 retail.

Obsidian is on thin ice and if they slip again even your adoring words wont save the company

PEACE

I suppose one out of five ain't bad. The others might or might not turn out to be the case, but they're not facts. You might want to check your definition of that word.

KOTOR 2 had some flaws, true, but it wasn't a bad game. Star Wars fanboys are just whiney. Don't feel bad though, most fanboys are.

Lastly, if you hate the game so much, why do you come back here?

Yes, ENGLISH.  Not American.  Americans speak English whether they want to admit it or not :o

I have to disagree, the English speak English. The Americans do speak American, it can't be considered to be English any more. :ph34r: :p:p"

And to the starter of this topic.....

If this is all you have to say why don't you save it for your next session with your shrink! As already said several time come back if you actually want a real discussion not just throw insults around.

*Read own post* :wub:

Now look what you made me do. :-

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Oh yes, I'm a foolish Obsidian fanboi who is stupid enough to actually like the game. Good thing there's the true fanatics like global to tell sycophants like me what the 'facts' are and how the intelligent people and critical thinkers think. They are truly the heroes of the Internet.

SODOFF Steam group.

as usual, the syncophants come to the rescue.

a predictable response from a non-critical thinker

fact 1

Obsidian developed KOTOR II

And Lucas Arts published the game knowqing it had significant bugs. So which is worse, the developer who did their best in a limited timeframe or the publisher who doesn't give a crap except for holiday sales.

fact 2

Obsidian made some FATAL errors in the game design

Yes, they signed on with Lucas Arts.

fact 3

If Obsidian makes KOTOR III, intelligent people wont buy it

(this doesnt apply to you)

If Obsidian is smart they won't do a KotOR 3 and intelligent people will not buy future Lucas Arts games.

fact 4

you and all the other morons on this site that continue to defend this game will buy ANYTHING that Obsidian puts out. Therefore, your opinion doesnt matter

My opinion matters as much as yours, but as the old story goes it takes two to tango but morons like you think it is all Obsidian's fault when Lucas Arts is equal to blame and if LA actually let Obsidian finish the game we wouldn't be in this mess.

fact 5

The gaming community doesnt tolerate bad games being sold for $50.00 retail.

Obsidian is on thin ice and if they slip again even your adoring words wont save the company

As I said, it takes two to tango. Obsidian is only the developer and not the publisher. The Publisher, Lucas Arts, wanted the game out as quickly as possible and due to contractual reasons Obsidian had to comply. Am I saying that Obsidian is innocent, no. But Lucas Arts is equal to blame if not moreso than Obsidian.

There is no peace, only passion.

FACT 1: The Star Wars license is the most abused license in the gaming industry.

FACT 2: When KOTOR I came out, it set a new bar of excellence for this franchise.

FACT 3: KOTOR II would have easily met that expectation if it had not been rushed to the market (yes, Obsidian can do story and gameplay development).

FACT 4: I own both games. While KOTOR I has a more satisfying ending and less technical glitches, I find myself drawn to replay KOTOR II more than to replay KOTOR I. You have to admit, KOTOR I was good but it was also "cookie cutter" in many ways. KOTOR II has a very enigmatic, immersive feel which I like.

Well, Global. I'm glad you're here to tell me these things, what would I do without your keen insights into the blatantly obvious?

First of all, language is irrelevant to the discussion. Let's attack ideas, not grammar and spelling.

Second, what were you hoping to prove by your post? So far you seem to be fulfilling the role of irritant, but little else.

The fact of the matter is that these kinds of comments have been fielded time and again on this board. This may be difficult to grasp, but:

Hate to break it to you, Copernicus, but you aren't the first person to unveil this great discovery of "Obsidian totally sucks". While your mastery of posting hyperlinks is impressive, the link leads to another opinion that happens to coincide with your own. Great. Now that there are two people who hate something, you can qualify as "free thinkers". If you get a third person, maybe you can start your own political party.

My point is that people here have their opinions already, and that, generally speaking, those opinions have remained static. Unchanging. Despite the best efforts of "fanboys" and "haters". My personal opinion is that KOTOR2 was an above average game, not particularly good, but not particularly bad either. I'm not going to try and convince you, or anyone else, to subscribe to this view though.

To begin: Im Italian, sorry for the bad english\american\what I write...

I think that everyone has the right to choose what he\she likes or not... Even in the KotOR series... Really I accept that Global and other people doesn't like the game... (As long I wish that other people accept the fact that some other like the game as well...) I accept that Global have posted that link of review... But at the very end he double posted... The second post was only the cutting\pasting of the content of the link... Content that isn't new to this forum... Global isn't the first that had posted the link... Is OK to resume a discussion, is OK to repost it, if it was forgotten... But there are manners and manners... I haven't even thinked about spamming... But people sometimes start thinking when see a double post like that... People start asking if the poster think that they cannot follow a link... Or why after a clear sign that the topic doesn't interest anyone was double posted...

If you read careful this post, you will see that the most of the reply aren't about KotOR as bad or good game... But about the manners of global about express himself... Really almost nobody seems (At least to me...) to have the will of discuss about KotOR as quality game... People that like it are still playing, modding and discuss about storyline, strategies and other... People that doesn't like it have traded it back...

By myself, I like the game... Also I like KotOR, but I not want to do paragons... There are many difference, in gameplay and sistem, that at all they share a little bit in common... (KotOR II have major feats, option, classes, weapons and force power rather than KotOR... Really even both are D20 based, in KotOR II you may do a lot of thing more than KotOR...) I will play at the same rate both, because both can be playied with fun more than one time...

Hoping I was able to explain myself...

Here! Here!

global, it's not completely Obsidian's fault. They have deadlines to meet and jobs to keep, so they can keep food in their tummies, not to mention their families. True, maybe they could've planned ahead better and perhaps focused on a better ending, but even then they would've still been under the thumb from Lucasarts every step of the way. They had to make sure that KOTOR 2 fitted Lucasarts's vision of what it's meant to be like since if they didn't, the project could've been canned altogether, and then what would've happened to the future of the KOTOR series? We would've had to wait longer for a sequel or perhaps not even *see* a sequel ever again. 

Look no flames or character attacks okay? Just stick to the facts if you want a proper argument please...

And by the way, I agree with most of what was written in that article, but as another poster mentioned, you could clearly see that the article was pointing the blame at Lucasarts's marketing department rather than Obsidian's development team. OE did the best they could with the resources provided. So please don't try to change the story :p.

I would have been more than happy to wait until this product had been finished properly. When a game is released you expect to be able to play a game with out running into things that should have been fully cleaned up in the editing process. And bugs that should have been solved in a reliable QA process with beta testers. The only other time I have had to pay for beta testing a product was for shipping on the SW:Galaxies disks and then I only had problems with my pc's performance because at the time I had a machine that barely met minimum specs. If the major game reviewers had been honest about the state this game shipped in I doubt it would have sold like it did, there are way too many reasons why this game is a failure.

Because you enjoy the game and can over look it's myriad flaws, is not a reason to excuse the failings of all involved for releassing this game in the state it is in. Now I can truly understand the meaning behind "fanboy"....