NWN 2 News Exclusive Interview with Ferret!

Rhomal

Neverwinter Nights 2 News is very pround to announce a exclusive interview with Lead NWN 2 Developer Ferret!

But it only gets better! We will be interviewing most of the NWN 2 developers on a bi-weekly (more or less, may vary depending on their work load) schedule! So this will be a on going, exclusive feature from NWN 2 News just for you NWN 2 fans! :p

The interviews will consist of their background, their views on the gaming industry, their likes/dislikes and I even managed to throw a little bit about NWN 2 in there as well. :rolleyes:

The full text can be found in the article section here:

http://www.nwn2news.net/modules/wfsection/....php?category=1

Enjoy!

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Interesting stuff.

For some reason I always thought that Ferret was just his message board handle, much like Akari's name isn't really Akari. :">

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Ferret -n. small polecat used in catching rabbits, rats, etc.

(from Oxford pocket dictionary)

:rolleyes:"

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I figured it was some inside joke or something.  :shifty:

Indeed. Nutty Boo as seen here:

http://www.nwn2news.net/modules/xcgal/thumbnails.php?album=9

Started as a joke by one of my reporters Thapthim. In one of his dev news postings shortly after nwn2 was announced, he make a joke about a Squirell that was planted inside the OE offices by us at nwn 2 news to 'ferret' out information. Well the developers read that on the site and started making remarks about Nutty Boo in a few of their postings.. and he took a life of his own there after.

Been a ongoing inside joke since with ferret, the kommander and frankk..

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Neverwinter Nights 2 News is very pround to announce a exclusive interview with Lead NWN 2 Developer Ferret!

"With just the features already mentioned (in the forums, FAQ, etc) which one are you most excited to show the community and why?

What we

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Interestingly, I also find myself rather uninterested in NWN2. I've just realised that I post here out of nothing more than sheer habit rather than interest in any of the current Obs. projects. Hmmm.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I am not intressed in NWN2.

That kind of post is a real brain-teaser. Like, is your apathy so raging that you feel a consuming need to express it, or are you giving a royal edict that says "We (the royal "we" that is) do not care for this game, so thou must not discuss it!" If it's the latter, it must be particularly vexing that the topic has continued.

Its actually amusing that two people had the need to adress my post.

Another thing I find amusing is OE is the developer of NwN2 and NwN2 forums were here until they moved by, it seems, the request of NwN CCC.

What I have towards NwN2 is not "apathy", considering the game rules, the setting and the developer its dificult to me to have apathy towards it.

drakron.png

Atari acually made the decesion to move the forums. When your paying the bills you can 'request' things like that. heh..

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

Atari does not play this forum bills and many of us remenber the day the forums moved and the atittude of some "NwN CCC" about it.

And they might be paying the game development but you really think they would cancel it because OE allowed NWN2 forums to stay up in here?

drakron.png

Bioware promised us a good Single Player campaign out of NWN1 which turned out to be abysmally average. Ferret, not to be overly negative on this but lets see some evidence. I mean I trust Obsidian to do their best possible job on the game but fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, well you know the rest.

If Bioware couldn't do it why do you think you can?

Well in BioWare defence Visc they did not really had the time ... the only diference is that OE had no problem in comming clean after KotOR II was released over time issues as BioWare only said that NwN OC had problems when they were trying to sell HotU.

drakron.png

As a consumer, Morgoth, yes I am.

If I am going to spend $50 to $60 on something I expect to get my money's worth. I also expect honesty from the companies I patron. One thing I respect Obsidian for is that they pretty much came clean with KotOR 2 after its release. How long did it take Bioware to come clean about the horridness that was the NWN OC? A few years.

All I am saying is that if Bioware could do this in a game that was in development for 3 to 5 years when Obsidian has 1 1/2 to 2 years, engine coding aside, what makes them so certain that they can. Its called having a healthy dose of skepticism.

First, I am not pissed off. If that is how I am coming across I apologize. I do however have a good dose of skepticism. Given that Obsidian had only a year with KotOR 2 and the resulting mess that game is, counting only the major content holes and not the game's technical issues then tackling NWN 2 which is far more involved game engine wise due to its tools system and broader application in CRPG design with only an addition year increase of development time I think my skepticism is fairly well founded.

Yes, let them get the job done, but if they are going to make statements about their game, especially in terms of quality, I would like to see some evidence of that so I can judge for myself. I use to take what developers say wholecloth. Now I know better.

I do however have a good dose of skepticism.  Given that Obsidian had only a year with KotOR 2 and the resulting mess that game is, counting only the major content holes and not the game's technical issues then tackling NWN 2 which is far more involved game engine wise due to its tools system and broader application in CRPG design with only an addition year increase of development time I think my skepticism is fairly well founded.

You were born as skeptical person. :lol: I think 18 month developement cycle for nwn2 is possible.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

With all that will be going into it like the complete revamping of the tool system, user interface and the graphics engine along with a fully developed story with multiple henchmen/party members? 18 months seem to be to short of a time. Given the base they have I would say 30 months to get everything done right.