jedi armour any good?

Im starting a LS sentinal - weapon master game and I was thinking of using the jedi armour this time round. I know it limits your dex to plus 4 but it give you def as well. Is this worth it or shall I stick to the robes?

Ki

I'd say it's fine if you are doing a streangth build, but you wont be able to use master speed.

Jedi armour can take some upgrades that robes cannot, but their armour rating (4/4 before upgrades for the best one I found) is pretty limited/limiting.

On Malachor my lvl 31 Guardian/WeaponMasterhad DEF 33 with plain clothing and light sabre in hand, DEX was 14 natural and 18 effective (from the $YOURNAME crystal, not even fully upgraded). Equipping the 4/4 Zeison Sha armour raised DEF by 1 point to 34. Nothing to write home about. I think equipping armour of any kind suppresses Jedi defense boni, so I'd take either a good robe or a nice piece of heavy armour. A Guardian/Weapon Master can easily do either, as the situation demands.

I usually use Jedi armour only for its upgradability, for STR/CON boosts. Against grunts and bosses armour class doesn't matter much anyway (grunts hit only rarely even if your armour rating is comparatively poor, bosses hit pretty much always unless you are a totally defensive build).

On Malachor my lvl 31 Guardian/WeaponMasterhad DEF 33 with plain clothing and light sabre in hand, DEX was 14 natural and 18 effective (from the $YOURNAME crystal, not even fully upgraded). Equipping the 4/4 Zeison Sha armour raised DEF by 1 point to 34.

I'm trying to make sense of that number. Def 33 in plain clothing.... 10 base, 4 from Dex... What else? The Handmaiden upgrade? Dueling?

The Jedi defense bonus worked with armor in KotOR 1; guess Obsidian changed

I just kind of like the look of the Jedi armors. It was kind of fun to put all my apprentices in them. Pity there's no group photo scene like in the original.

Im starting a LS sentinal - weapon master game and I was thinking of using the jedi armour this time round. I know it limits your dex to plus 4 but it give you def as well. Is this worth it or shall I stick to the robes?

Ki

I started out my Sentinel with the Z/Sha or Jal Shey armor that doesn't limit Force powers, and wore that thru half the game. I don't think early on in the game it's too inhibiting. But check your defense stats occasionally. I noticed that later on when I switched to Jedi Master robes the DEF shot way up.

lvl 31 Guardian/WeaponMaster had DEF 33 with plain clothing and light sabre in hand

I'm trying to make sense of that number. Def 33 in plain clothing.... 10 base, 4 from Dex... What else? The Handmaiden upgrade? Dueling?

Defense breakdown from combat feedback:

• base 10
  • class 14 (Guardian 19 -> 8, Weapon Master 12 -> 6)
  • DEX mod 4
  • feats and effects 1

It looks like Jedi Sense etc. are lumped into 'base':

• Guardian 19 -> +6 for Jedi Sense
  • Weapon Master 12 -> +4 for Greater Prestige Sense

Dunno what 'feats and effects' refers to here. Holding a double-bladed light sabre, so no Duelling bonus. The sabre is listed as having defense bonus 2 (from a crystal or upgrade) but the 2 is missing from the defense breakdown. So perhaps the game used +1 instead, which would explain the 'feats and effects'.

Anyway, equipping the 4/4 armour increases defense by 1, and it is hard to make sense of that fact. The DEX bonus is 4 and thus not limited by the armour; this means that equipping the armour must 'steal' 3 somewhere so that the net change after adding the armour's 4 defense is +1.

Is Battle Precognition a passive ability or is it a power that has to be activated? If it is the former then it is also missing from the breakdown (the $YOURNAME crystal has a good WIS bonus).

It makes sense to wear armor if your character is female. Because as soon as you have a modified wis of 18+ you will loose AC by wearing an armor as a male. Then, the only benefit you have is from the possible upgrades.

Nonetheless, if this is for the look of it, choose what you want, it's not like if the game is difficult if you don't max your AC...

I've just bought the Zeison Sha Initiate armour for around 350 credits from Adum Lurp in Khoonda on Dantooine.

It's damned ugly and I'll probably never use it, but am I really going to miss those 350 credits? shrug.gif

It makes sense to wear armor if your character is female. Because as soon as you have a modified wis of 18+ you will loose AC by wearing an armor as a male.

Mhmm, that makes sense. If we assume that the 'base 10' term included 3 bonus from WIS/Battle Precognition and if we further assume that equipping Jedi armour negates this bonus then the math suddenly works.

But this also means my breakdown of the Jedi Sense and Greater Prestige Sense boni has to be wrong somewhere.

Then, the only benefit you have is from the possible upgrades.

Nonetheless, if this is for the look of it, choose what you want, it's not like if the game is difficult if you don't max your AC...

LOL, this is so true. The last time I worried about AC was for the final Handmaiden fight on Telos. Except for this one fight I usually choose garments for their stat boni, especially WIS/CHA/STR, or their looks.

... am I really going to miss those 350 credits?

No, not really. It isn't like you need money for anything after Telos/Citadel, as long as you have 50 credits for a pint of (youknowwhat if you've been there already) and a bit of loose change for landing fees or alms.

I think the only things worth buying are crystals for lightsabres (colour crystals and upgrade crystals) and perhaps rare items like Sith Armour (7/7 rating, nice for some party members). Pretty much everything else can be crafted.

Yeah, I mostly agree. Except once in a while you find someone selling something guaranteed to make life much easier - like the Bothan glove (+6 DEM) I've just purchased from Geeda's competitor on Nar Shadda for around 4500 credits (traded in 2 Verp armours and a force pike).

By the way, in KotOR I the trader who always paid the most for my excess inventory was the inventor on the Yavin IV station (PC version only). I've tried to figure out who offers top prices in TSL and, so far, it seems to be Geeda and rival on Nar. They seem to pay about 25% more than the traders on other worlds. Has anyone else looked into this and perhaps found a better deal?

Yeah, I mostly agree.  Except once in a while you find someone selling something guaranteed to make life much easier - like the Bothan glove (+6 DEM) I've just purchased from Geeda's competitor on Nar Shadda for around 4500 credits (traded in 2 Verp armours and a force pike).

I would class those as 'rare items' like the Sith Armour. Sometimes you find them, sometimes not, sometimes a vendor has them, sometimes not. IIRC the force pikes yield oodles of components, so you may be better off selling your stacks of junk like medpacks, grenades, mines, shields, stims etc. pp. if you do need a bit of cash.

Conversely, it may be interesting to find out which 'buyables' yield the most components/chemicals per buck, in case you want to craft some

If you dont plan on extreme Defense i would advice you to get Light armor Jedi robes the allow the use of Energy resist upgrades which is very useful against lightsabers and blaster fire.

Robes are made very limited in general forward implants, further id head forward 18con if ds first rather than max dex since 18 con allow use of ultimate d-pack power implant which is 2all stat which gives far more overall, as darkside its usefull since it beside raising Dex add to both Cha and wisdom which higher save difficulty on the DC roll.

Most skill uses wisdom or intelligence either way so only thing you get for raising dex extreme is a little more AC and To hit which will be high enough without.

Remember is you are male and spare with Handmaiden you get improved progresion which adds wisdom mod to def, which means you get about same def as lightside going 18 con and ultimate d pack implant as you do going 18-20dex and low con.

Just a thought :D

Mhmm, that makes sense. If we assume that the 'base 10' term included 3 bonus from WIS/Battle Precognition and if we further assume that equipping Jedi armour negates this bonus then the math suddenly works.

Hold it. Isn't 10 the base defense that everything gets in d20 games?

As far as I can tell, Battle Precognition is a passive ability that adds your WIS bonus to your DEX bonus. So it would be limited by the armor. Orchomene is right -- women get more mileage out of armor than men.

Go light armor robes with energy resist:

Start stats:

10str

14dex

14con

14int

12wis

14cha

Raise con to 18 and rest to dex and youll be fine.

As ds it probaly which 12int and 14wis since ds need wis and cha to mod DC difficulty

Get universal D-package implant when you find it its possible never seen i game where i dident find it and ive gone through about 6-7times now.

You dont need extremely high dex it does so little for you its hardly noticeable

Hold it. Isn't 10 the base defense that everything gets in d20 games?

Dunno. If it is then the defense breakdown doesn't compute at all, because the boni from Jedi Sense (6), Greater Prestige Sense (4) and Battle Precognition (3) would be missing.

Come to think of it, the math doesn't really work either way ... So it is probably a good thing that AC doesn't matter in KotOR 2. :("