Gothic 2 Full English Demo Released

elkston

Gamers Hell Download:

http://www.gamershell.com/news/20895.html

Worth Playing Download:

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=24087

About time huh? It seems Jowood has some new publishing partners so Gothic 2 is coming out in more European countires. Guess they figured its time to get the word out .. again.

The original demo (released in late 2002) was only available in German, so English speakers used a fan-patch to play it with English subtitles. Now this new one has the English voice work.

If you're in any way on-the-fence about this great game that has caused much debate, please play the demo and see what you think.

Thanks to RPGDOT for the info..

I played the first one after translating it. Controls were horrible is two any better in that respect ?

Gothic 2 allows you to use the mouse as the "action" key now instead of the Ctrl+UP method in Gothic I.

however, you can still choose to use Gothic I controls, which IMHO, are better. One noticable difference is that you no longer have to press the "up" key in addition to Control to do things. All you have to do is press CTRL now.

Gothic I's controls are not horrible, just unorthodox. Once you learn them they are responsive and accurate..

I don't like it that Hades calls me a fanboy just because I enjoyed a well-made action-adventure game with some RPG elements mixed in. Calling someone fanboy somehow always implies that the person is blindly devoted to a thing and is not able to critize it properly.

Dear Mr. Hades, I am very well aware why I and many others liked the game. You don't like action-adventures. That's fine and you are entitled to your opinion but I bet you don't pester the Beyond Good and Evil people just because you happen to not like a genre. I do not like RTS games but that's no reason for me telling everybody to avoid RTS games because they are garbage.

Plus, you are behaving out of line because a demo is free and its very purpose is to allow potential customers to decide whether they like a game or not.

Of course I am out of line. I am always out of line. That is why most people consider me a troll, but in truth I am a ogre. A sexy ogre by some people's (okay, 1 person) opinion.

Also Gothic 2 was billed as a CRPG where I live and well, I judge it as such. If those Good and Evil types come here and spout off the same stuff I will state my opinion about that game which isn't going to be much since I haven't played it. It looked kind of boring. I play CRPGs and Space Combat sims only and when the box says CRPG I expect a CRPG. Not an Action Adventure.

Of course I am out of line.  I am always out of line.  That is why most people consider me a troll, but in truth I am a ogre.  A sexy ogre by some people's (okay, 1 person) opinion. 

Also Gothic 2 was billed as a CRPG where I live and well, I judge it as such.  If those Good and Evil types come here and spout off the same stuff I will state my opinion about that game which isn't going to be much since I haven't played it.  It looked kind of boring.  I play CRPGs and Space Combat sims only and when the box says CRPG I expect a CRPG.  Not an Action Adventure.

You should try it, Hades. BG&E was my favorite game of the year, after Gothic II. Its short, though, but its just well done and has a good story.

Its not an RPG though. Its a Zelda game.

I think Beyond Good and Evil was an excellent game. It is however not anything near an RPG, and I'd be surprised if it was marketed as such anywhere in the galaxy.

If you don't like BG&E it's most likely because you don't like that type of game (as you've stated several times yourself) :lol: ... doesn't mean it's a bad game though, as I'm sure you're aware.

If I don't like it I put it in the bad game catagory. Just because it is bad for me doesn't mean it is bad for someone else. I just don't like it, therefore it is bad. Pretty simple, eh? Of course I have never played BG&E, but I have played Gothic 2 and that was a bad game.

Its not an RPG though. Its a Zelda game.

true for Gothic 2, too

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Gothic 2 is more of a RPG for me than, for example, Planescape: Torment.

Good to see the english demo out! Perhaps this means the english expansion is due out soon? Atari Nordic refuses to give a straight answer.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Flame Bait:

-Provocative material in an article that, intentionally or unintentionally, will make people angry and invite flames in response. See trolling.

-A controversial message that is almost guaranteed to attract flaming.

-An inflammatory message that is posted with the express purpose of provoking flame responses

:luck:"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Flame Bait:

-Provocative material in an article that, intentionally or unintentionally, will make people angry and invite flames in response. See trolling.

-A controversial message that is almost guaranteed to attract flaming.

-An inflammatory message that is posted with the express purpose of provoking flame responses

:("

According to that, everything everyone says is practically flame bait :(

Also Gothic 2 was billed as a CRPG where I live and well, I judge it as such.  If those Good and Evil types come here and spout off the same stuff I will state my opinion about that game which isn't going to be much since I haven't played it.  It looked kind of boring.  I play CRPGs and Space Combat sims only and when the box says CRPG I expect a CRPG.  Not an Action Adventure.

Depends on your definition of a CRPG, really.

To be honest, it's been quite a long time since I've seen a "real" CRPG. Most CRPG's these days are nothing more than action-adventures or first-person-shooters with some RPG-elements thrown into the game. Unless you're continously re-playing all the old, classic CRPG's you won't have much to play these days if you're looking for a true CRPG ... that or re-think your definition of a CRPG.

For me Gothic and Gothic 2 are as much CRPG's as all of the other so-called CRPG's that have been released in the last couple of years, not necessarily because they're true to *my* definition of a CRPG, but because of the fact that you don't get anything else anymore these days.

. . . and yes, I do play a lot of the older games.  Except for a few, they are the only ones' I can stomach.

Same here, although I am by far not as radical as you are. If I want old CRPG-goodness I go back to my Ultimas, Bard's Tales, Phantasies and Wastelands, but I have learned to also be open for new approaches (partly due to the fact that I have given up hoping that there will ever be CRPG's in the classic, traditional, old-school style) and to enjoy the new "RPG's" as well (excluded from this is of course dreck like "Dungeon Siege").