A REALLY bad installation bug

I've tried to install the game twice now.

The first time I tried, after a while on cd No 2 (about the time where I was supposed to insert cd3) I get this windows error that I have the wrong volume in my cd drive. I can either cancel, try again og continue, none of them work even when I tried changing the CDs.

So I cancel the whole installation process, and I try again. This time it happens on cd3, the exact same message. So I cancel, and I try again, only this time my PC says it aint go enough room to install!!

There is no folder named C:\games\KoTor2, so I have no idea where it has been installed and taking my computers space.

This is a REALLY bad bug.

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me on any of my two problems:

Where is the game "half installed" taking up my disk space? And

Why do I get this weird message when I try to install it?

Thanks.

Check under c:\program files\lucasarts\swkotor2 that's the default install directory. To solve the bug, disable all antivirus software, virtual cd drives and and cd burning software running is you taskbar. Failing that (if you can make the space) copy the contents of each cd to a folder on your hard drive and run the install file from there.

I'll check the programs\lucasarts folder when I get home, but I checked it last night, and there was no folder named lucasarts.

Another weird thing is that when I tried installing it two times 10 gb mysteriously disappeared if I right clicked the C:\ drive so I only had used 71 gb, but if I checked properties for all of my files on the C drive, I had only used 61 gb.

So the game has actually "deleted" 10 gb of space SOMEWHERE...I don't know where.

Thanks for the reply though.

Also empty your temp folders, and browse through anything that seems to have a random folder name. With a drive that size you won't have any space porblems, so copying the cds to your hard drive should solve the issues.

There are a number of freeware junk file cleaners that should let you work out where the missing space has gone.

Also empty your temp folders, and browse through anything that seems to have a random folder name.  With a drive that size you won't have any space porblems, so copying the cds to your hard drive should solve the issues.

There are a number of freeware junk file cleaners that should let you work out where the missing space has gone.

i had the same problem, tried to install 3 times but got "wrong volume" error.

I copied all installation files on hard disk and started setup from there and all went smooth.

(after you can delete the installation files)

you can try this way, it worked fine for me.

bye

• 1 month later...
I've tried to install the game twice now.

The first time I tried, after a while on cd No 2 (about the time where I was supposed to insert cd3) I get this windows error that I have the wrong volume in my cd drive. I can either cancel, try again og continue, none of them work even when I tried changing the CDs.

So I cancel the whole installation process, and I try again. This time it happens on cd3, the exact same message. So I cancel, and I try again, only this time my PC says it aint go enough room to install!!

There is no folder named C:\games\KoTor2, so I have no idea where it has been installed and taking my computers space.

This is a REALLY bad bug.

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me on any of my two problems:

Where is the game "half installed" taking up my disk space? And

Why do I get this weird message when I try to install it?

Thanks.

This exactly happens to me too. Whenever you are prompted that 'wrong volume' message, just put CD1 (play disc) into your drive, and press 'retry' (or 'ok'). Last time I installed the game, I got the message 3 times, and all the times I made it disappear feeding it CD1. Hope that works.

- E D I T -

+ Note that this didn't happen at all the first time I installed the game upon its release, months ago.

+ Also note that I have just uninstalled the game due to the unbearable amount of crashing it was going thru (at random, but quite often: once every less-than-5-minutes), and am going to reinstall it from scratch.

+ Note that when I originally played the game I didn't experience any issue, beside the 'Dantooine FPS Slow Down', which could be easily fixed (can't remember how, tho).

+ Thus my 'fix' could not be working at all.

Fine. I managed to (re)install the game without being prompted that pesky message. The trick was, I didn't switch application a single time (I often did, during my previous installation). Possibly, that's enough to fix the installation bug (however, possibly it's not).

It could be a problem with the encoding of the discs itself.

I followed one of the sound advices from this forum and it worked for me;

1) Copy the contents of discs 2 to 4 onto your harddrive in pre-defined folders,

2) When the screen prompts you to insert a particular disc, instead of doing so, load from that contents folder instead.

This should work. Good Luck!