The patch will never come out!

They probably don't have a full team working on it, it's the only explanation I can find. Remember when they were only 5 devs left working on the PC version after the Xbox one was released? (really sad when you see in what state the game what released)

Well I don't see why they would put more people working on a patch that grants them no additional money when they already banked our cash.

Imo, they got most of their team working on NW2 and a very small group of devs working on a patch.

is it just going to be a bug fix patch? or is it also going to add some content to KOTOR2? like a patch for the first game did,

Well, that's the big question....... if the devs listens to their conscience and do what's right they will get LS points. But if they only think about profit and the fact that they will not make any money on this patch, and then decide that they will only fix some bugs they will get DS points......... :thumbsup:

agreed. I'm actually starting to lose my patience with Lucasarts and Obsidian over this whole debacle.

A bit more communication to the fans would be nice aswell. Some of the fanboys may moan at me but it would really calm down the large amount of people currently moaning if Obsidian posted a current list of the fixes in the patch so far just to put our minds at rest. I just think communication to the customers who have yet to be able to play the game has been really poor.

But I shall get back to looking at my KOTOR case and try and get some enjoyment from the artwork.

A bit more communication to the fans would be nice aswell. Some of the fanboys may moan at me but it would really calm down the large amount of people currently moaning if Obsidian posted a current list of the fixes in the patch so far just to put our minds at rest. I just think communication to the customers who have yet to be able to play the game has been really poor.

- Yeah, a list would be nice, winning at the swoop track is impossible, I hope they fix that.

failing a patch perhaps we could get a "baldurstarwarskotor2dash" fixpack? ^^

is it just going to be a bug fix patch? or is it also going to add some content to KOTOR2? like a patch for the first game did,

Well, that's the big question....... if the devs listens to their conscience and do what's right they will get LS points. But if they only think about profit and the fact that they will not make any money on this patch, and then decide that they will only fix some bugs they will get DS points......... :-

They can only do what LucasArts allows them to do.

Exactly - Obsidian are doing their job under LucasArts' constraints.  This means if LA want a rushed game, they get one.  Obsidian doesn't make the decisions about when or in what state the game or a patch is released, LA do.  I personally will most likely hold off buying any LucasArts game in future for at least a couple of months until I see what state it's in.  I'd be far less dubious about buying another Obsidian game.

I dont want to sound offensive. But the game industry is very much a business, with an agreed-upon business plan and deadlines of when the game goes alpha, beta, final etc.

What even makes u think obsidian didnt know the time lines and were rushed by lucas arts? Both parties knew the timeline, both parties agreed upon it.

You would be really stretching it to say it's LA's fault. Obsidian isnt clueless, they are an experienced developer that knows how long projects needs to be done. They are at equal fault with LA. obsidian should have said they need more programmers or designers. They didnt. They share equal responsibility.

Exactly - Obsidian are doing their job under LucasArts' constraints.  This means if LA want a rushed game, they get one.  Obsidian doesn't make the decisions about when or in what state the game or a patch is released, LA do.  I personally will most likely hold off buying any LucasArts game in future for at least a couple of months until I see what state it's in.  I'd be far less dubious about buying another Obsidian game.

I dont want to sound offensive. But the game industry is very much a business, with an agreed-upon business plan and deadlines of when the game goes alpha, beta, final etc.

What even makes u think obsidian didnt know the time lines and were rushed by lucas arts? Both parties knew the timeline, both parties agreed upon it.

You would be really stretching it to say it's LA's fault. Obsidian isnt clueless, they are an experienced developer that knows how long projects needs to be done. They are at equal fault with LA. obsidian should have said they need more programmers or designers. They didnt. They share equal responsibility.

I haven't seen the contract, and I'm sure you haven't either, so we have no way of knowing what the agreed deadlines or conditions were. At the end of the day, it's up to LucasArts to say whether or not they are satisfied with the finished product. Clearly they were or they wouldn't have released it. Going by all the confusion with release dates, and remember the original release date was February, rather than December, I get the impression that dates were brought forwards. That's fine if you can get a patch out on release to correct any immediate issues, but fans have been let down by both parties here - quite simply the game is unplayable for a lot of people and there is no rush to fix it.

Guest MacleodCorp

I haven't seen the contract, and I'm sure you haven't either, so we have no way of knowing what the agreed deadlines or conditions were. At the end of the day, it's up to LucasArts to say whether or not they are satisfied with the finished product. Clearly they were or they wouldn't have released it. Going by all the confusion with release dates, and remember the original release date was February, rather than December, I get the impression that dates were brought forwards. That's fine if you can get a patch out on release to correct any immediate issues, but fans have been let down by both parties here - quite simply the game is unplayable for a lot of people and there is no rush to fix it.

I have to agree with the Obsidian issue. Obsidian, if I am spelling the name right, is very responsible for the release of a BROKEN product. If they tell you it is out of their hands then they are liying. Obsidian is responsible for the code, and for all the BROKENESS of KOTOR II. They sold, knowingly, to the public BROKEN merchandise. As a customer, I believe they can get into trouble with the BBB or Attorney General's office. In order to prevent lawsuits for ecknowleding they knew the merchandise was BROKEN, they released a statement to the public to buy time.

In Massachusettes, there is a law that will allow lawsuits to be filled against companies that tell the public they released a BROKEN product, and made the statement after the customer's return limitations were expired. Companies usually do a recall on a product, which are BROKEN in mass quantities.

Obsidian should do some research before releasing BROKEN merchandise. As a customer, I find that this is a unprofessional way to deal with the public. If KOTOR II is not repaired, with a patch or other means, I will not purchase another product by them again... That includes if they get the rights to KOTOR III.

Guest MacleodCorp

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

So, what is funny?

When someone attacks Obsidian, especially about the patch, people start to get upset.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Look, Obsidian and Lucas Arts are both responsible. One blamed for bad codding, and the other nlammed for releasing the bad coding. Either way Obsidian is part of the problem, and the BBB should get involved.

Other game companies would have had the issues taken care of pretty fast. If Obsidian is a gathering of award-winning RPG game creators, then they should know better. That makes it worse.

Now, if they said, "The game is 100% complete", and then turned around and said. "We know the game is BROKEN", then they have issues which could be brought to the BBB or Attorney General. You see, if there was a warning on the box or a statement made within a week of the products release, people can get their money back. However, the statement was made latter, thus no one can get a refund.

Its called bad buisness... Obsidian could be held responsible as well as Lucas Arts.

I will probally pass on another game made by Obsidian in the future!

The final say about when a product is released most often lies with the publisher, in this case Lucas Arts.

Whether that means delaying the product, releasing it early or cancelling it altogether, it's the publishers decision and the developer can't do much about it.

The way I see it, Lucas Arts have been making a hell of a lot of bad decisions for a while now (Sam & Max 2 anyone?) and I'm not about to jump down Obsidians throats for something that's out of their control.

You want the patch now? Go noise up Lucas Arts.

Guest MacleodCorp

It is useless to specualte at this point; therfore, I will have to agree to disagree. I found that when it comes to releasing this patch, we should just put the hammer on the nail, and end the conversations!

RE: The BBB and other complaints...

Never going to happen with the computer software industry.

Why?

Because unless the software doesn't work on a significant amount of systems (more than 50%) and doesn't cause bodily harm, I.E. causes monitors to explode, or sets CPUs on fire... You have no case.

Also, the burden of proof would be on the part of the person(s) making these claims, in this case, the buyers (consumers)... And this is where the 50% or more comes into play as a kind of loophole, safeguard against consumer litigation (at least in the U.S.).

For example, if they tested TSL on four systems, two are Intel CPU and Nvidia Cards; the other are AMD CPUs and ATI cards (and vice versa) and the game worked on three out of the four, hence, 75%... Then the game technically works and since it didn't cause any serious harm or injury to the persons running those systems (even the one that failed) then it falls into being safeguarded from consumer complaints because this is the very basics that software manufcatuers and publishers must adhere to for a product to be released at the bare minimums.

Also, just because the game may give 7 FPS on Dantooine, there are tons of glitches in dialogue, there are quests that you can't complete, the game crashes from time time... This does NOT automatically mean the game is broken because in the above tests, the key factor is the game runs on more than 50% of systems... NOT that it runs well, or is even a finished game (which is unique to OE's situation since even that can legally be argued that the game is finished and playable; just not enjoyable from a subjective stand point).

This is why you are never going to see the software industry held accountable for releasing buggy and incomplete products. At least, here in the United States.