Online Role-playing

NWN is too much combat (not very fun combat, at that) and not enough role-playing for me. MMO's, well... I've yet to see any actual role-playing in an MMO. Too many lousy power-gamers, or just incredibly casual role-players.

I've heard of this idea of, "online roleplaying" websites, and want to join one. There was one that was star-wars centric, called shattered force or something, but I was hoping for something less... licensed. Anyone know of a website? It would be a great help. Thanks.

EDIT: I wanted to add that if anyone wanted to do online PnP, I'm all for joining in. And if you don't feel like PnP online, but do feel like NWN with better role-playing than usual, I'm looking for that as well.

NWN is too much combat (not very fun combat, at that) and not enough role-playing for me.  MMO's, well... I've yet to see any actual role-playing in an MMO.  Too many lousy power-gamers, or just incredibly casual role-players.

I've heard of this idea of, "online roleplaying" websites, and want to join one.  There was one that was star-wars centric, called shattered force or something, but I was hoping for something less... licensed.  Anyone know of a website?  It would be a great help.  Thanks.

EDIT:  I wanted to add that if anyone wanted to do online PnP, I'm all for joining in.  And if you don't feel like PnP online, but do feel like NWN with better role-playing than usual, I'm looking for that as well.

I believe your talking about Sony's Shattered galaxy. However as I do not play it I do not have a link to provide you with. However in mmorpg's its going to be quite difficult to find a good group of rpers as most tend to be fairly exclusive to those in there clichques.

However I do wish you the best of luck and I would be most interested in knowing if your able to find a decent group.

Lady Alenuska

As a former officer/webmaster of an RP guild in DAOC, and a sometime player of EQ, AC, DAOC, SWG, FFXI and City of Heroes, I think I can with experience say that there's indeed no such thing as a major MMORPG server on which RP chat is consistently maintained, so in that respect, I agree with your impression of MMOGs.

However, there are roleplaying communities in each of them. And if you move in them, you can get a satisfying RP experience. For example, being part of an RP guild in an RP alliance in DAOC can result in 90% of your chat being RP: a satisfying RP experience.

As for roleplaying websites, meh, I've never tried them. I'd be interested in opinions from MMORPGers who have, but doubt it would interest me. If I wanted to RP in that way, I'd give in, and participate with my local LARP clique (I've played P&P games in the past, but I just can't deal with LARP). At least that would mean RP in a more meaningful real-world social environment.

NWN is too much combat (not very fun combat, at that) and not enough role-playing for me.  MMO's, well... I've yet to see any actual role-playing in an MMO.  Too many lousy power-gamers, or just incredibly casual role-players.

I've heard of this idea of, "online roleplaying" websites, and want to join one.  There was one that was star-wars centric, called shattered force or something, but I was hoping for something less... licensed.  Anyone know of a website?  It would be a great help.  Thanks.

EDIT:  I wanted to add that if anyone wanted to do online PnP, I'm all for joining in.  And if you don't feel like PnP online, but do feel like NWN with better role-playing than usual, I'm looking for that as well.

Yes...but can you do t3h cyb0rs3chs?

there are plenty of roleplaying servers in NWN

Never ever play a MMORPG and expect roleplaying. When you solve a quest, the quest is reset 2 minutes after you've solved it, and all your hard work is not visible anywhere, except perhaps among your equipment (rewards) or in your quest log. It is a highly disruptive feature of MMORPG's.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

In a way MMOPRGs represent the essence of what is considered bad behaviour in PnP: powergaming, hack n slash, exploiting rules, disregarding roleplaying etc.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Never ever play a MMORPG and expect roleplaying. When you solve a quest, the quest is reset 2 minutes after you've solved it, and all your hard work is not visible anywhere, except perhaps among your equipment (rewards) or in your quest log. It is a highly disruptive feature of MMORPG's.

Given there are around 20 MMORPGs currently operating, with some very different approaches to the genre, and completely different approaches to tasks/quests/missions/goals/world events/etc., how you managed to arrive at "all MMORPG tasks/quests/missions/goals are repeatable on a two minute timer" is completely and utterly beyond me.

In a way MMOPRGs represent the essence of what is considered bad behaviour in PnP: powergaming, hack n slash, exploiting rules, disregarding roleplaying etc.

Really, it's all about playing in the right circles. If you aren't playing an MMORPG with other roleplayers (e.g., in an RP guild), then you're doing what would be the equivalent of playing a PnP game with just any old random people you picked up off the street. The result will be frustrating, if that's what one does. But play in an RP guild (with required character bios, and such) in an RP friendly game, and there's great RP to be had, still.

Given there are around 20 MMORPGs currently operating, with some very different approaches to the genre, and completely different approaches to tasks/quests/missions/goals/world events/etc., how you managed to arrive at "all MMORPG tasks/quests/missions/goals are repeatable on a two minute timer" is completely and utterly beyond me.

You're right. Although I work as a games reviewer, I've only tried.. 80% of them. But I still have to find a MMORPG where your actions influence the world around you in any way. But please, feel free to enlighten us with an example of your own.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You're right. Although I work as a games reviewer, I've only tried.. 80% of them. But I still have to find a MMORPG where your actions influence the world around you in any way. But please, feel free to enlighten us with an example of your own.

A tale in the Desert ..

Fortune favors the bald.

As for role-playing in NWN, well... most of what I've come across is something of a joke, or just simply way too dry for me. I've gotten very little from the PW roleplaying servers you see up every day, and only slightly more from NWC. Haze, as an example, seemed great, except for the battles that took place in the crappy, over-spent, gimpy, glitchy combat engine of NWN - I VASTLY prefer role-playing a hero character to a Cannon Fodder character, especially with how much time I spend on forming a character concept if I want it to be a good, fun concept for everyone. And it just peeves me when DM's go like, "Oh well, you must be stupid for playing this game and putting so much time and energy into the game," when it's not about the engine-run game, it's about the character-making game. Characters can just as well mean something if the mortality rate isn't 99.99 percent. People DO die in real life - but I roleplay to escape real-life, or at most parody it.

And the vast majority of role-players don't put that much thought or effort into it. Maybe they just can't write deep characters, and while I'm ok with that, it's just not what I want to do. Give me live banter in combat, give me long, personal talks of some depth between characters. DON'T give me elves who talk very distinctly like full-of-themselves junior high boys, using all the crappy colloquialisms and slang of this, our MODERN day time. I'll humor them, I won't be unkind, but I just can't have fun with them.

I have enjoyed myself with NWN roleplaying quite a bit in the past, I'm just completely sick to death of PW's and all their problems, and good, RP-oriented, selective NWC games are few and far between.

Eru: That's pretty sad, although I'm not sure if the person doing the commentary is any less so...

A tale in the Desert ..

http://www.atitd.com/

Or you could always try MuDs, here's a good roleplaying one: http://mud.mdhoria.org/

the point just were that in "A tale in the desert" every decision will affect the world around you .. your guild can have a huge impact on the development of the land and your teachings can also affect how Egypt will look further down the road .. since others will be able to learn the abilities you unlock, which in turn leads to new buildings etc.

so that's an MMORPG where your decisions and presence have an impact!

Fortune favors the bald.