opinions wanted: Atton's progression

Spoiler Alert -- if you don't yet know the full story of Atton's past (and don't want to prematurely) stop reading now.

OK. This is from a light-side user's perspective. I just got through listening to Atton's looooong-winded recounting of how he fought as a Sith scrub and killed a bunch of Jedi during the Civil War. Now, after all of that, he actually wants me to train him!

So it looks like I've got the option to do so or not. Here are my caveats:

1. I'm already training the handmaiden. How many apprentices are they going to let me take on??? :) I've also got the old woman and the blind woman at my disposal for Jedi needs.

2. The guy is unrepentant about wholesale slaughter of Jedi, and then seems to feel almost nothing about outright murdering the female Jedi who tried to help him. He even comes up with excuses for doing so. And my character is supposed to trust that Atton has the inner strength to be a Jedi and not turn into a Sith at the first sign of adversity? please.

3. Add to this that I've been building the guy up as my default tank--training him means abandoning that route and basically making him turn in his steel combat boots for a pair of Jedi ballet slippers. :D

I'm just curious if any of you have opinions about whether or not I should train him (as spoiler-free as possible please). You can obviously see that I'm leaning toward giving him a rejection letter.

Spoiler Alert -- if you don't yet know the full story of Atton's past (and don't want to prematurely) stop reading now.

OK.  This is from a light-side user's perspective.  I just got through listening to Atton's looooong-winded recounting of how he fought as a Sith scrub and killed a bunch of Jedi during the Civil War.  Now, after all of that, he actually wants me to train him!

So it looks like I've got the option to do so or not.  Here are my caveats:

1.  I'm already training the handmaiden.  How many apprentices are they going to let me take on??? :)  I've also got the old woman and the blind woman at my disposal for Jedi needs.

2.  The guy is unrepentant about wholesale slaughter of Jedi, and then seems to feel almost nothing about outright murdering the female Jedi who tried to help him.  He even comes up with excuses for doing so.  And my character is supposed to trust that Atton has the inner strength to be a Jedi and not turn into a Sith at the first sign of adversity?  please.

3.  Add to this that I've been building the guy up as my default tank--training him means abandoning that route and basically making him turn in his steel combat boots for a pair of Jedi ballet slippers. :D

I'm just curious if any of you have opinions about whether or not I should train him (as spoiler-free as possible please).  You can obviously see that I'm leaning toward giving him a rejection letter.

1. More than one

2. Thats really upto your character whether or not they want to give him a second chance. If you listened to Kreia "If he is a Jedi he will forgive. If he is not he will not care".

3. If you have been training him for melee then adding some Jedi wont hurt at all. Unless you want max sneak attack. If you have him wearing heavy armour choose powers which can be used in armour. Insanity or stasis is deadly combined with his sneak attack.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

1) You can take on as many apprentices as you please - it has no ill-consequence. Personally, I like to turn my characters into Jedi, if only because some of the force powers (heal, knight speed etc) are really quite useful on a regular basis, and they can cast them whilst your main character is taking the brunt of the battle.

2) Give the lad a chance! He wants to repent :blink: And he makes a pretty strong light-sider, as it happens...he really doesn't approve of any evil actions.

3) Force powers will only aid his battle techniques! Now he can give himself that extra needed boost beforehand, and heal himself afterwards! He should still get just as many feats (roughly) as when he wasn't a Jedi. Plus now he can wield a lightsaber!

Most light siders are about forgiveness and salvation. On my light side play through he mad a great addition to the group. Also, there are places in the game wherein you have to split into two groups - if you train Atton, Bao-Dur, Mira and Handmaiden to be Jedi you'll always have enough jedi to go around.

2.  The guy is unrepentant about wholesale slaughter of Jedi, and then seems to feel almost nothing about outright murdering the female Jedi who tried to help him.  He even comes up with excuses for doing so.  And my character is supposed to trust that Atton has the inner strength to be a Jedi and not turn into a Sith at the first sign of adversity?  please.

Spoken truly like Master Vrook. :blink:

If you want Atton to be a fighter, it actually makes sense to turn him into a jedi. As a sentinel, he gets more hit points, and enough skill points to keep upgrading his scoundrel skills. Also, his dexterity starts out good and can get much better (up around 30 in my present game) so there is really no need to keep him suited up in armor. I have him dual-wield keen lightsabers--he's awesome!

If you want Atton to be a fighter, it actually makes sense to turn him into a jedi.  As a sentinel, he gets more hit points, and enough skill points to keep upgrading his scoundrel skills.  Also, his dexterity starts out good and can get much better (up around 30 in my present game) so there is really no need to keep him suited up in armor.  I have him dual-wield keen lightsabers--he's awesome!

Atton is a killer with the dual keen lightsabers and master critical. And I think his +4 defense jacket, in addition to his dexterity, remove the need for anything different. Atton always had more defense than any of my other chars, including Exile.

Atton kicks butt either as ranged or jedi.

The one thing about NPC turned to Jedi's is that some of them (not all - depends on what you want them to be) tend to fare better as Jedi if you haven't leveled them up a lot in their original class first.

My first try I waited too long and Atton was great with 2 blasters but wasn't very good at melee (passable but nothing compared to Exile or my other melee tank). The 2nd try I kept him to a lvl 8 Scoundrel and then turned him Jedi - so now he's still great with his blasters and also good with his sabers. I think he gets less feats as a Scoundrel then as a Sentinel so you get more feats if you start early Jedi. But maybe I'm wrong there, don't know the mechanics very well.

Disciple's the other way around...he works better (melee) if you level him first in his original class for a while and then to Jedi, since counselors don't get nearly as many feats.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts