Why Darth Sion?

Guest Damar Stiehl

Guest Damar Stiehl

OK.

Darth Traya betrays.

Darth Nihilus annihilates.

Darth Tyrannus is tyrannical.

Darth Sidious is insidious.

And of course Darth Vader is the Dark Father.

But what is up with Darth Sion? I can't seem to dredge up any useful hits on the forum search, so: why Sion? Is he supposed to be a scion? Or is he somehow Jewish? Or is he representing commune SW central Switzerland capital of Valais population 25,350?

Sorry it it was already discussed...

Could Revan just be Raven switched up? Raven's are always known for their cunning trickery... In most folklore, anyway...

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

they arent plays on words, that is far to casual a term, i suspect that they are central to the personality of the sith, a very intimate and important thing, much like the forging of a lightsaber. i mean if you look at the most obvious one 'darth vader' he chose it unaware that he was a father, george lucas was very deliberate with that one......................

Couldnt find anything for Malak (Malek).

A Malik is the leader of a small town.

Biowares names look like they are just names.Perhaps because they dont change on becoming Sith.

Darth means 'shadow warrior.'

Malak is a hebrew word meaning angel. So Darth Malak means Shadowy Archangel.

Revan is most likely a shortened version of revenant meaning a dead man who comes back to life.

Sion is suggesting either that he is the heir to Revan, or Disciple of Kreia.

Revan is most likely a shortened version of revenant meaning a dead man who comes back to life.

I doubt it because those were their names before they became Sith.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Guest Damar Stiehl

Oh, Revan is simple. Revenge.

Malak is Malach (a fallen angel).

Darth Vader is definitely Dark Father, so says George himself.

Why doesn't someone at Obsidian enlighten us about Sion tho?

Oh, Revan is simple. Revenge.

Malak is Malach (a fallen angel).

Darth Vader is definitely Dark Father, so says George himself.

Why doesn't someone at Obsidian enlighten us about Sion tho?

Revenge on who? It could be shorted Revanant but again that makes no sense as the name didnt change.

But Malak is Malak as Jedi he never changed his name so it makes no sense like the other Sith names do.

I wonder if that was intent or just a case of a lucky coincidence.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I doubt it because those were their names before they became Sith.

Bioware just didn't want to confuse us by giving us three names for Revan and two for malak.

They did the same thing by having Revan wearing his sith mask and star forge 'Revan' robes in the flashback on dantooine.

clearly he's jewish, if you look in the tda files you can see that he was first named "Darth Sharon" but it was already taken so they had to change it...

Lois: Honey, what do you say we uh...christen these new sheets, huh?

Peter: Why Lois Griffin, you naughty girl.

Lois: Hehehe...that's me.

Peter: You dirty hustler.

Lois: Hehehehe...

Peter: You filthy, stinky prostitute.

Lois: Aha, ok I get it...

Peter: You foul, venereal disease carrying, street walking whore.

Lois: Alright, that's enough!

They did the same thing by having Revan wearing his sith mask and star forge 'Revan' robes in the flashback on dantooine.

They did that so you wouldnt look at the cutscene and go hey look its me !

Obviously he must have gotten changed behind a tree because I think even the Jedi council may have noticed that.

Or perhaps he said he was going to a costume party. :D

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I tend to accept "because it sounded cool" explanations more readily than literary ones and I therefore would expect "Revan" to have been chosen because it sounded like any number of scary or otherwise magical/mythological concepts and words, like revenge, riven, revenant, reverent, etc.

But seeing as the franchise does have a penchant for shallow (i.e., we're not dealing with any sort of profound theological allegory here) Judeo-Christian mythological references, accepting Sion as meaning...well, exactly what it says, Sion, seems to make sense. That is to say, meaning Sion of "Mount Sion" or "The Priory of Sion," or what have you. Alternate spelling (though well attested) for Zion (i.e., Israel and/or the Temple Mount).

As for Malak being Moloch (I assume that's what people are getting at with the suggestion of a Hebrew meaning)...well, it seems like a bit of a reach. Moloch is famous for being one of the devils in Milton's Paradise Lost, but it's not clear really what "Moloch" is in the Old Testament. It would be a fairly obscure reference, and I tend to think the "because it sounded cool" explanation fits this one better than a vague similarity to an obscure biblical hebrew name of uncertain meaning.

I tend to accept "because it sounded cool" explanations more readily than literary ones and I therefore would expect "Revan" to have been chosen because it sounded like any number of scary or otherwise magical/mythological concepts and words, like revenge, riven, revenant, reverent, etc, but seeing as the franchise does have a penchant for shallow (i.e., we're not dealing with any sort of profound theological allegory here) Judeo-Christian mythological references, accepting Sion as meaning...well, exactly what it says, Sion, seems to make sense.  That is to say, meaning Sion of "Mount Sion" or "The Priory of Sion," or what have you.  Alternate spelling (though well attested) for Zion (i.e., Israel and/or the Temple Mount).

Never seen 'Zion' spelled 'Sion.' And Darth Jew makes a lot less sense considering the character than does Darth student/heir

The Sith Lords "Darth" names are some kind of stage names, I think.

If "Vader" really means "father", how could that be explained in EpIII?

Was he so proud that he is a dark father?!

And, as far as I know, Vader didn't knew about his offspring when he assumed his name, but I can be wrong.

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he