What Gender?

What Gender did you choose for Revan & Exile?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What Gender did you choose for Revan & Exile?

• Revan-Male, Exile-Male
    • Revan-Female, Exile-Male
    • Revan Male, Exile-Female
    • Revan-Female, Exile-Female

So far as I know it's the only game to offer you that option, though!

Anyway, I find arguments that 'I'm male and I like to play the character as myself' or 'I could no less be female than I could darkside' far more compelling than trying to argue Revan is male on a historical, 'this is what women have done through the ages' argument. Stop_him has pretty much made all the good points.

Revan is a male's name is...well...I always assumed Revan and Malak to be the equivalent of surnames. The way Anakin is often referred to as 'young Skywalker'. And military officers in Star Wars are usually referred to by surnames; Ackbar, Dodonna, etc.

I'd just like to address this idea that Revan works better as a male LS character on the basis of the Bastila romance. For one thing, as I played the game for the first time as a DS female, Bastila's storyline had little importance to me. I was much more concerned (after learning of my true identity) with regaining my position as Sith Lord and taking the galaxy by the throat. Likewise, when I played the game as a LS female, I was far more swept up in the Carth romance and my mission to SAVE THE GALAXY than worrying about what Bastila was up to. True, her battle meditation did play an integral role in the fate of the Republic forces, but I knew that if I couldn't persuade her back to the light, I could take her life.

What I'm trying to say is, reasoning that just because one of the many outcomes of the game is to see the realization of a romance/redemption of Bastila and a LS male Revan, does not mean that that is the *only* outcome of the game or, indeed, the most important. Maybe it makes more sense to some players whose games afforded that option, but it does not necessarily take precedent in the minds of others.

Anyway, I find arguments that 'I'm male and I like to play the character as myself' or 'I could no less be female than I could darkside' far more compelling than trying to argue Revan is male on a historical, 'this is what women have done through the ages' argument. Stop_him has pretty much made all the good points.

It is the basic dichotomy in role-playing from the very beginning: is the role or the adventure most important part to the player? Some folks want to act, to subsume themselves in another identity and fully realize it. While others want to go, do, see new things and be world shakers. Both are different paths to the same goal of having fun.

I have said that, being a guy, it is only natural for me to play as one. Plus, I'm not very experienced and can't get involved with romances on other guys...

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

I played Revan as Female only to be able to butcher Carth later on. Yes, he annoyed me so much that I had to become a transexual for the sake of killing him. I also wasn't too fond of the male faces in KotOR. I'm not into the whole cave-man look.

I played Exile as a male in KotORII, however. Yay for pretty male faces.

"When the foul sore of envy corrupts the vanquished heart, the very exterior itself shows how forcibly the mind is urged by madness. For paleness seizes the complexion, the eyes are weighed down, the spirit is inflamed, while the limbs are chilled, there is frenzy in the heart, there is gnashing with the teeth."

I chose Revan to be a male character because the name "Revan" just has this "male sound" to it. It wouldn't suit a female.

Oh, I think it is a very asexual name that could work for either. Maybe I should name my daughter Revan? Hehe. Not that I ever plan on having kids, but if I did...

I played Revan as Female only to be able to butcher Carth later on. Yes, he annoyed me so much that I had to become a transexual for the sake of killing him.  I also wasn't too fond of the male faces in KotOR. I'm not into the whole cave-man look.

I played Exile as a male in KotORII, however. Yay for pretty male faces.

Hehe I still think the male faces are limited in KOTOR2. The only two faces I like are asian. The white/hispanic/black faces all look goofy to me.

For me, the reason I don't play a woman in the games is that I'm not interested in playing some arbitrary character.  I'm playing the game as a bit of escapism _as myself_.  A bit of wish fulfillment, as it were.  (This is also the reason I don't play Dark Side characters.  YMMV.)

Exactly!

Some of us likes to play a totally fantasy character, compltely unlike how they are in RL - while others prefer to play a buffed version of themselves.

I think it's unfair to critisize for either preference.

If they can make KotOR III without determining gender on neither Revan nor the Exile, that would be great. But the more games and background story, the more variables they'll have to take into account.

For KotOR II, there were 4 possibilities:

Revan Male, LS

Revan Male, DS

Revan Female, LS

Revan Female, DS

But for KotOR III, there will be 16 possibilities to take into account... which will make it much more complicated. At some point, they will have to either kill/forget some of the PCs - or simply determine a set gender. It would be preferable if they do not go for the latter option (assuming that the "he" they currently use is indeed meant to be gender neutral).

For me, the reason I don't play a woman in the games is that I'm not interested in playing some arbitrary character.  I'm playing the game as a bit of escapism _as myself_.  A bit of wish fulfillment, as it were.  (This is also the reason I don't play Dark Side characters.  YMMV.)

Exactly!

Some of us likes to play a totally fantasy character, compltely unlike how they are in RL - while others prefer to play a buffed version of themselves.

I think it's unfair to critisize for either preference.

If they can make KotOR III without determining gender on neither Revan nor the Exile, that would be great. But the more games and background story, the more variables they'll have to take into account.

For KotOR II, there were 4 possibilities:

Revan Male, LS

Revan Male, DS

Revan Female, LS

Revan Female, DS

But for KotOR III, there will be 16 possibilities to take into account... which will make it much more complicated. At some point, they will have to either kill/forget some of the PCs - or simply determine a set gender. It would be preferable if they do not go for the latter option (assuming that the "he" they currently use is indeed meant to be gender neutral).

Wow. KoTOR 3 will be a four DVD game in order to account for all the gender and alignment differences. Probably take 10 years to complete, and 1 month to cut it up.

Indeed, hence why I support a set gender and alignment. I doubt a satisfying ending to the story can be written with a variable gender and alignment for both Revan and the exile, especially with 16 different combinations. I'd rather be disappointed by being told that the way I played KotOR1 was not the "correct" way than watch as Revan and the exile are basically shafted by making their adventures meaningless (just take a look at how the universe turned out in KotOR2 regardless of what Revan did) and sort of hold them in limbo storywise.

I'd keep the gender, but totally disregard the alignment. Alignments are much more awkward than genders.

For example you could have a m/f r/e as master apprentice, but not really an ls/ds.

Alignment is KOTOR isnt fixed anyway like it is in D&D so you just need some sort of back story to bring it to whatever you want.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Indeed, hence why I support a set gender and alignment. I doubt a satisfying ending to the story can be written with a variable gender and alignment for both Revan and the exile, especially with 16 different combinations.

It won't be easy, that's for sure. At least not if you want it to work well in the story...

I'd rather be disappointed by being told that the way I played KotOR1 was not the "correct" way than watch as Revan and the exile are basically shafted by making their adventures meaningless (just take a look at how the universe turned out in KotOR2 regardless of what Revan did) and sort of hold them in limbo storywise.

I don't know, it's a pretty big dissapointment to be told in the third game that the two first games you played didn't really happen, that what you did didn't matter...

How they will solve this is beyond me. But I hope Obsidian have some ideas already (I assume they must have, since they obviously use a lot of opportunities in KotOR II to set up the third game).