What Gender?

What Gender did you choose for Revan & Exile?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What Gender did you choose for Revan & Exile?

• Revan-Male, Exile-Male
    • Revan-Female, Exile-Male
    • Revan Male, Exile-Female
    • Revan-Female, Exile-Female

That's the point of a game though, you play someone who you are not.  When playing Fable or Harvest Moon I have a great time trying to chat up the girls and get myself a hot wife ;)  Though I must admit I always go for the Tomboy chick in Harvest Moon cause she reminds me of myself...

They made a "harvest moon for girls" too.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Though if there is no choice in the matter, most males will happily play as a girl, like in Oni, Metroid, Perfect Dark, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider,  No One Lives Forever, Primal, Beyond Good and Evil, P.N.03, Project Zero, Sudeki, and I think I am out of ideas... but you get the point.

Yes...

(Not that there is much flirting in those games, though if you play Fear Effect you get to be a lesbian...)

...and that's why.

I strongly prefer female LS Revan, slightly prefer female Exile.

The Bastila/Revan bond might be improved by a male Revan, but nearly every other relationship is either the same for both genders or better with a female, IMO. When Canderous tells female Revan he's her man forever, I get the feeling he doesn't just mean as a soldier (she won't take him up on that, but that's her choice- he's there if she wants something done right *cough*). I like the dynamic between Malak and a female Revan, and maybe he took his shot from afar not out of fear of his Master, but some sort of "never hit a woman" conditioning. I sassed Carth six ways to Sunday, and when HK-47 told me Malak was the original meatbag, it all became clear: the Council took away her corruption, but the snark stayed. And really, Bastila and Revan as sisterly rivals who end up redeeming each other works pretty well.

I think my female preference for Exile is just that my only male playthrough so far was DS and I hated playing DS so I never got past Telos. If there were a Bao-Dur/Exile romance, my preference would be stronger but otherwise, eh.

I am more intelligent and capable than many men I meet - it has nothing to do with gender, it has to do with the individiual regardless of gonad-arrangement.

I once read that there are more male geniuses than female geniuses.

However, the same study also determined that there are more male morons than female morons. :)

I was really surprised to see that ~ 75% of players keep Revan and Exile the same gender.

On first play I tried male/female and now it's female/male.

Viva la difference!! :lol:

A bizarre thing I read in another thread was that TSL assumes that Revan is a LS male, unless you say differently. However on both my female/male playthroughs, Atton referred to Revan as a female when the subject first came up - to alter that, I'd have had to do the 'Revan was a man!' conversation response. So has anyone had it that Atton initally assumes that Revan is a man?

A bizarre thing I read in another thread was that TSL assumes that Revan is a LS male, unless you say differently.  However on both my female/male playthroughs, Atton referred to Revan as a female when the subject first came up - to alter that, I'd have had to do the 'Revan was a man!' conversation response.  So has anyone had it that Atton initally assumes that Revan is a man?

Here are my reasons for thinking Revan is female and the Exile is male:

At the beginning of KOTOR II, Atton states that Revan is female and the Exile agrees or disputes that Revan is a female, rather than the other way around. Another reason is the very powerful scene with Carth at the end of KOTOR II. Apparently there is a similar scene with Bastilla, but from my understanding, it does not pack the emotional wallop that the Carth scene does. I

interesting poll -- it seems they're both males or females!

For me, having only played through both games twice, male then female, light then darkside, I found for me that Revan was a darksider female, and the Exile was male lightsider. However, the beauty of the games is that it feels right any way you roleplay it.

All the women hate bastilla and her being snotty while most of the guys don't mind it, me personally I like girls like that because it's so easy to bust on them and get them mad but they like it for some reason, lol anyway, and all of the guys hate Carth because he whines,well, as much as bastilla.....

so I think that's how it plays out, and the reason for the poll outcome is because I think somehow there are alot more female gamers on here than men, or at least that took This poll....am I wrong?

Personally I'm not Revan and Exile HAVE to be any certain gender, but the default option in K2 when talkin to atton is Revan was LS male, tradition of the Star Wars movies....and in Star wars, the main hero usually and should be the male. Because Star wars is based off old stories and mythology where the Male was the hero. Other RPGs can have women as the hero for all I care but it doesn't fit Star Wars as much as it would another game.

That's my stance on it.

Ya well I think now I have indispuitable proof Revan is a guy.

You see Revans human no matter what, and at some point you must win the race on Taris to "save" Bastilla. Say what you want about sexism and crap, but there are women racers and they stink, I don't know about other Star Wars races, but this is atleast true for human. So as you see if Revan was a women, theres no way that they would have won the swoop race against males, thus forever proving Revan was a guy :lol:

I give you irreputable proof of Revan's gender and all you guys do is go back to whining about how men supposively won't play as women, and how one group or the other is smarter and crap. I know women who are truley as smart as anyone I've ever known, and I don't think anyone would debate that as intellectuals both genders are indeed equal. But I don't know any women who can drive all that well, and defintiely not well enough to beat anyone in a race. :lol:

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I've played both games both ways, and the impression I got was that Revan was female, and the Exile was male. As far as the choice Atton gives you at the beginning of the game, I usually make Revan a DS female. Personally, if it wasn't for the Battle Precog thing with Handmaden, I'd play the game as a female Exile, if only because you spend a whole lot of time looking at the PC's butt, and I'd rather it be a female one than a male one :ph34r: :blink:"

That's because you underestimate the power of the force, Laozi :blink:

I was reading an article only today about a small female racing driver who had beaten 12 larger male competitors in her country to win the top prize :p

That piece was fictional. And the force can only help so much

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

If all you are interested in is the digital butt then you could always switch to another character like handmaiden or vissas. I've always found it hard to roleplay a woman and think the lack of female gamers up until recently is because females have a hard time imagining themselves as males and what a male would say in a certain situation.

If all you are interested in is the digital butt then you could always switch to another character like handmaiden or vissas.  I've always found it hard to roleplay a woman and think the lack of female gamers up until recently is because females have a hard time imagining themselves as males and what a male would say in a certain situation.

Interesting theory, but...no. There are many, many reasons that you do not see as many girl gamers, but that does not really factor into it, at all.

If all you are interested in is the digital butt then you could always switch to another character like handmaiden or vissas.  I've always found it hard to roleplay a woman and think the lack of female gamers up until recently is because females have a hard time imagining themselves as males and what a male would say in a certain situation.

Interesting theory, but...no. There are many, many reasons that you do not see as many girl gamers, but that does not really factor into it, at all.

Well if it doesn't give womem/girls problems then it at least gives me problems. :D I don't like being hit on by computer guys for one thing.

I don't think it's particularly easy to roleplay either gender. A game that draws the player in will still need a good, strong character.

Adventure games are probably the best genre to look at in this respect; adventure games live and die by the virtues of the central characters. In my experience, you are also likely to see a much larger female gamer percentage in the roleplaying and adventure genres - larger, say, than for FPSs. Adventure games always have a very clearly defined protagonist, who is usually male, but that does not seem to affect the game nor the people who play it. What really matters is that the character is interesting. The Broken Sword and Monkey Island series are both good examples of successful characters.

I don't think it's particularly easy to roleplay either gender. A game that draws the player in will still need a good, strong character.

Adventure games are probably the best genre to look at in this respect; adventure games live and die by the virtues of the central characters. In my experience, you are also likely to see a much larger female gamer percentage in the roleplaying and adventure genres - larger, say, than for FPSs. Adventure games always have a very clearly defined protagonist, who is usually male, but that does not seem to affect the game nor the people who play it. What really matters is that the character is interesting. The Broken Sword and Monkey Island series are both good examples of successful characters.

I've never played that game, but Baldur's Gate 2 has been my favorite RPG to this point. Mostly because of the story and side quests. Not so much because of the main character.

But you could argue that the character was a major part of the story. The story centred around the main character, after all. I much preferred BG to Icewind Dale 2, which made your characters feel like interlopers on a story that really didn't involved them.

...I think I've strayed so far off the point that I can't see it any more!

Yeah this is getting really off topic, but let me add one more thing. I think the icewind dale series was hurt by not having NPCs that can join your group. One of the things the made the Baldur's gate series great is that you could pickup these differnt people with differnt personalties and voice sets. Making your own group is just not the same experience.

Yes, definitely, that was also a big reason why it failed to be as involving for me. You couldn't talk to, let alone have romances with, the people in your party. BG2 had romances which went really, really far (to having children) which I enjoyed :D

But certainly less emphasis is placed on a man's looks for a female-orientated audience (wait, has there ever been a female-orientated game?!) - at the very least, not such a great deal is made.

Anyway, I'm curious as to why so many men balk at playing a female character. I quitye enjoy playing male characters. I even find it fun playing male characters and chatting up female NPCs, and I'm sure that most women here voted in the female character polls. Yet men are so afraid to flirt with male NPCs or vote in the male character polls :rolleyes:

Yet women place a great deal of emphasis on their own looks. :-

For me, the reason I don't play a woman in the games is that I'm not interested in playing some arbitrary character. I'm playing the game as a bit of escapism _as myself_. A bit of wish fulfillment, as it were. (This is also the reason I don't play Dark Side characters. YMMV.)

A bizarre thing I read in another thread was that TSL assumes that Revan is a LS male, unless you say differently.  However on both my female/male playthroughs, Atton referred to Revan as a female when the subject first came up - to alter that, I'd have had to do the 'Revan was a man!' conversation response.  So has anyone had it that Atton initally assumes that Revan is a man?

I think Chris stated that if you take the 'the heck with who Revan was' option in the Atton conversation the game defaults to a LS Male. Since the player chose to opt out of deciding Obsidian had to go with some choice to make the game work.