What Gender?

What Gender did you choose for Revan & Exile?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What Gender did you choose for Revan & Exile?

• Revan-Male, Exile-Male
    • Revan-Female, Exile-Male
    • Revan Male, Exile-Female
    • Revan-Female, Exile-Female

the offical website(!), says that Revan was male.

I wish people would stop using this bull**** argument. Just because Lucas Arts writes Revan as a man, doesn't mean that is what THEY want - it is what the majority audience wants. And the general audience is composed of males. This just goes to show you that Revan is however we interpret him or her as. The majority says Revan is a man, so it is thus.

And let's face it, more men than women have issues playing games that have a strong female protagonist. The only exception are games like BloodRayne, but then - male gamers are not playing said game because she is a strong woman. Male gamers play games like BloodRayne because the lead character is wearing next to nothing.

I wish that angry and ignorant people wouldn't call my posts BS just because they refuse to accept the truth.

If LucasArts wanted Revan to be a woman, they would make Revan a woman. Simple as that. IIRC, they did an expansion pack for the first Jedi Knight game featuring a woman as the player character - and as I understand it, that expansion pack is considered to be better than the game itself... but I haven't played either myself, so can't talk from personal experience.

If LucasArts says that someone is male, then that person *is* male. It's their frickin' universe, you know. You may not like their decision, but no whining or angry outbursts from you can change that - just like I can't change the fact that Jar Jar Binx is a part of the SW universe, no matter how much I'd like to...

But anyway, my point is: don't shoot the messenger. Or something.

You need to calm down, young sir. I wasn't yelling or doing anything of the sort. I took you're name out of the quote because I wasn't referring to you specifically, but to all people who use that excuse.

It seems to me that a lot of people here (again, not you specifically) use the whole "L.A's official website says..." to support their own argument that Revan HAD to have been male.

I mean, who cares what L.A. has to say. If L.A. didn't intend for the player to choose Revan's sex in the game, then L.A. wouldn't have left up to the player to begin with.

I think it's oversimplifying things here. The "it's all about sex appeal" argument is much like "what was first, egg or chicken" -- we have no way to tell if these games wouldn't have sold just as well if the main character wasn't wearing such kind of outfits... which is quite likely, when you consider that games which had 'normally' dressed females as leads (the Longest Journey or Syberia series) also wind up popular and recognized widely as masterpieces... plus, men apparently have no problem with playing female characters that aren't really pleasing to the eye in MMO games. (trolls, dwarves, hundred years old wrinkly mages and whatnot)

I have no problem playing women in games. I just draw on my ex's for inspiration.. Perhaps thats why my female characters invariably turn out evil... but lets not go there.

I do have a bit of a problem when it comes to romances. I didnt mind FFX-2 because the actual romance is post game. But I dont really enjoy the whole romance thing from the female perspective. Unless its with another female, then i'm on more familiar ground even if I'm a different gender in the game. Since games rarely get into the "mechanics".

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

OK, I'm "thumbing" through that official site (and listening to Sion's voice saying "Good, Good!" :p ) And it strikes me this is not a completely accurate site. It's very pretty and nice to play with... but it claims the Sith attacked Iridonia during the Mandalorian Wars, which kinda goes against the timeline and what Bao says in game.

It says "When the Mandalorian Wars began, Sith forces struck the Outer Rim Iridonian colonies with a vengeance."

That's under Bao's character description.

Read my last point about why men will sometimes play games with a female lead: basically men play games like BloodRayne and Tomb Raider because the female protagonist is aethetically pleasing to look at. She's either wearing short shorts or tight-ass leather with spiked heels. It's all about the sex appeal and little else.

I think it's oversimplifying things here. The "it's all about sex appeal" argument is much like "what was first, egg or chicken" -- we have no way to tell if these games wouldn't have sold just as well if the main character wasn't wearing such kind of outfits... which is quite likely, when you consider that games which had 'normally' dressed females as leads (the Longest Journey or Syberia series) also wind up popular and recognized widely as masterpieces... plus, men apparently have no problem with playing female characters that aren't really pleasing to the eye in MMO games. (trolls, dwarves, hundred years old wrinkly mages and whatnot)

Perhaps, but do you really think KOTOR would have sold as well with ONLY a female lead? I mean, just read all the posts here about how awkward these male gamers feel about a female Revan much less romancing a person as a woman...

The Syberia series is played by a different sort of gamer, though. There's no action involved. It's more like a game of chess, a game of the mind. Whereas, KOTOR is more action-oriented, which I imagine is why many gamers feel that Revan could not have been a woman.

As for the trolls and dwarves... isn't it nearly impossible to tell a female dwarf from a male dwarf - they're almost as hairy as any man..., in which case, I imagine it's more of a joke playthrough than anything. My experience with playing such games as a dwarf is limited, however. I just remember a certain NWN female dwarf character model with a beard and gave it my :p face.

My husband plays females frequently online and in regular games (inc pen and paper rpgs with no half-nekkid pics). He can accurately role-play a female so well he's had males get crushes on who they perceive him to be. He has no trouble roleplaying a female and roleplaying a romance with a male, like Revan and Carth, for instance.

I think it is very true that MANY men will not play a female without getting eyecandy... but it is certainly far from true to say this is how it is across the board. Far from true and a great disservice to the men who can and do play as a female and enjoy doing so from time to time.

I played Revan and the Exile as women my first time through because I am a girl. :p Then I went through both games as guys so that I could experience all aspects of the games. Personally I think everyone should be able to play KOTOR like they want to, besides, in the long run it doesnt matter what gender the main character is as long as the player enjoys experiencing the game.

*goes back to playing K2 for the 4th time* Three cheers for being addicted! :D

I played Revan and the Exile as women my first time through because I am a girl.  :p Then I went through both games as guys so that I could experience all aspects of the games.  Personally I think everyone should be able to play KOTOR like they want to, besides, in the long run it doesnt matter what gender the main character is as long as the player enjoys  experiencing the game.

*goes back to playing K2 for the 4th time* Three cheers for being addicted!  :D

In an ideal world. But when it comes to telling a cohesive story it's quite difficult when all you have to go on are a set of variables.

It's even worse when you need to represent it graphically and then on top of that voice each one.

KOTOR II only had to deal with four and since Revan was only mentioned they didnt have to worry about the other and even that caused problems. If however in KOTOR III someone wants Revan and the Exile to play a bigger part (joinable NPC/End Boss and Sub Boss etc) then all those variables will need to be covered, or someone will have to decide once and for all what they actually are.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Wow, I'm quite surprised by the votes. Either there are more female gamers than male gamers when it comes to KOTOR 2 or some male gamers have a preference to play as a female character first. The characters I role-play tend to be modelled as close as possible on my actual character, which is what I reckon makes it interesting (since I usually end up with a jack-of-all-trades character/master of non, which makes the game more challenging).

What we need is another poll to ask what the person's real gender is and what gender they picked in the game :p.

"The website linked also says that you can use T3 to break items down. You can't"

yes you can, just talk to him, or it is uprading items..... braking down things is so useless

He just does upgrades.

478327[/snapback]

OK, I'm "thumbing" through that official site (and listening to Sion's voice saying "Good, Good!"  :rolleyes: )  And it strikes me this is not a completely accurate site.  It's very pretty and nice to play with... but it claims the Sith attacked Iridonia during the Mandalorian Wars, which kinda goes against the timeline and what Bao says in game.

It says "When the Mandalorian Wars began, Sith forces struck the Outer Rim Iridonian colonies with a vengeance."

That's under Bao's character description.

reaching at straws are we... :lol:

face it, revan is a dude. end of story...

besides, why do you think there aren't any famous female millitary leaders? because the men wouldn't let them try or because they suck at combat...?

You have shown yourself repeatedly to be not worth my time. but have fun!

I have a saying. "Never argue with a pig. You'll both get dirty and the pig will enjoy it."

You show yourself to be a low misogynist who knows little of history or anything useful or germaine to the argument, so from now on, I'm just going to ignore your small-minded ranting.

Have fun.

I prefer to think of it with Revan as male, starting off neutral but becoming more lightside as time goes by (particularly after the Jedi training), then with the revelation... Bam! Anger and betrayal right into a major darkside leaning. So, DS at the end, but I hate to pigeonhole it like that. And I see the Exile as female with a strong lightside bent, but not bowing and scraping to the council and not above outbursts of anger. Which leads towards the end of the game to some serious flirting with the darkside, but she does the right thing at the end.

That's the way I like to think of it anyway, heh

I will always exhaust a game for it's worth, and considering that one of KotOR's strengths is replayability (and different outcomes, big and small), I would think everyone tried all the different combos (unless they thought the game sucked)

My order for both games has been (will for K2), Male/LS, Male/DS, Female/LS, Female/DS.

Then Male/LS again as a "character experiment" style game.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Does it really matter? Revan is whoever you want him/her to be and that will have absolutely no effect on the games of others.

It will have an effect on the sequels that draw upon the story of the previous games, but no doubt you will be given a choice as to how the stories played out. As long as this is implemented well I have no complaints whether some people think of Revan as a man or woman.

Let's all be nice! :D

Personally I think women are very nice, but they have their natural tendencies as do men. Men and women should try to complement each other not one up each other.

*peeks out of the hole*

t'was the hour after gender wars hath all but died when silence rule the land frought with fright and in our deepest sighs we gave thanks to the powers that be, till random evil guy started with glee to strike up the flame sea, now it boil toil and coil with blight, the storm is brewing to awful might.

*ducks back into his hole..*

In my opinion Revan is male. Revan, to me, sounds way too masculine to belong to a female while I would like to entertain the notion that the Exile is actually female. Though playing through the game it's clear the exile is male.

"Kinda sad, but true. I hope Revan isn't canon now. It takes away from the gameplay for both male and female players."

I thought that there was a rumor (confirmed I think) that at least KOTOR was considered canon.