What Gender?

What Gender did you choose for Revan & Exile?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What Gender did you choose for Revan & Exile?

• Revan-Male, Exile-Male
    • Revan-Female, Exile-Male
    • Revan Male, Exile-Female
    • Revan-Female, Exile-Female

I resent that as *I*, am not a moron...or at least I think that I am not. Though I do so whish I were genderless...life would be so much easier for me then...or I could be a robot... (w00t)

Edited 'cause I'm a loser who wants to be a robot!

Shots from both sides, we got the land, but they got the view

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I mean, just think how many people would have NOT bought KOTOR 1 & 2, if the sex had been restricted to female only. In contrast, women would still have bought the game if only a male character could be selected. Men could never handle being women. The mere thought of being female is repugnant to them. :-"

Didn't really stop the Lara Croft games from selling, though... and the whole business with many MMO players picking female characters even if they're males themselves. :huh:

They're both green

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I'm not surprized about that. Even the *worst* troll would (hopefully) think twice before starting that argument...but then again... Not that this argument is any more valid than that one, it just would seem that more people *think* it is...

Edit: NO THEY'RE BLUE AND YELLOW POLKA-DOTTED!! :huh:

My point is only: of course, if Lucas Arts is forced to choose a sex for Revan/the Exile, they will always be male. More males buy video games.

Be that as it may, it's irrelevant. If Lucas Arts says how something is, then it's like that regardless of their reasons.

Well yes. That's why I said it. Most things in this world (aside from tampons) are made for the general male audience. Women simply put up with it and adapt; who knows why...

However, all this talk is irrelevent. I thought this thread was simply about which sex the player chose for the characers, not what Lucas Arts has to say about the matter.

Why doesn't somebody just ask L.A. if they meant to make Revan officially male if it's become such an issue?

I mean, just think how many people would have NOT bought KOTOR 1 & 2, if the sex had been restricted to female only. In contrast, women would still have bought the game if only a male character could be selected. Men could never handle being women. The mere thought of being female is repugnant to them. :-"

Didn't really stop the Lara Croft games from selling, though... and the whole business with many MMO players picking female characters even if they're males themselves. :huh:

Read my last point about why men will sometimes play games with a female lead: basically men play games like BloodRayne and Tomb Raider because the female protagonist is aethetically pleasing to look at. She's either wearing short shorts or tight-ass leather with spiked heels. It's all about the sex appeal and little else.

the offical website(!), says that Revan was male.

I wish people would stop using this bull**** argument. Just because Lucas Arts writes Revan as a man, doesn't mean that is what THEY want - it is what the majority audience wants. And the general audience is composed of males. This just goes to show you that Revan is however we interpret him or her as. The majority says Revan is a man, so it is thus.

And let's face it, more men than women have issues playing games that have a strong female protagonist. The only exception are games like BloodRayne, but then - male gamers are not playing said game because she is a strong woman. Male gamers play games like BloodRayne because the lead character is wearing next to nothing.

I wish that angry and ignorant people wouldn't call my posts BS just because they refuse to accept the truth.

If LucasArts wanted Revan to be a woman, they would make Revan a woman. Simple as that. IIRC, they did an expansion pack for the first Jedi Knight game featuring a woman as the player character - and as I understand it, that expansion pack is considered to be better than the game itself... but I haven't played either myself, so can't talk from personal experience.

If LucasArts says that someone is male, then that person *is* male. It's their frickin' universe, you know. You may not like their decision, but no whining or angry outbursts from you can change that - just like I can't change the fact that Jar Jar Binx is a part of the SW universe, no matter how much I'd like to...

But anyway, my point is: don't shoot the messenger. Or something.

Can someone give me a link to "Revan is a man!" officially?  Because I can't find it.

Sorry it took so long couldnt recall where I had seen it. Chapter XII of the chronicles.

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sit.../indexDark.html

how much credence that has I have no idea. I just read a huge article about how the EU and the movies exist in some sort of weird null space of each other.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

ok now lucasart never talked about revan being a male or a female, it's obsidian who did this on their website. and in their game revan can be male or female so

Don't know about that it looks like a LA website to me. Like he said dont shoot the messenger.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It seems fairly likely in the context they use the pronoun out of convenience, like calling God "He" when, in the original languages, the gender was non-specific.

English does have one non-gender-specific pronoun, but "it" is seen as impolite or disrespectful and is rarely ever applied to humans past the fetal stage - and even then it's not a popular usage.

Heres the whole thing for those who dont like links.

Part XII: The Feeding of Malachor V

Time frame: 3,955 - 3,953 B.B.Y.

Period name: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

It is a period of uncertainty across the galaxy. After a long and vicious battle in the deepest area of the STAR FORGE, Dark Lord of the Sith DARTH REVAN succeeds in destroying his ex-apprentice DARTH MALAK. After recovering from the duel, Revan seeks out the secret dark outposts he established during the Mandalorian War. Journeying to the Outer Rim in the EBON HAWK, Revan is focused with a single purpose: locating the source of the dark power on MALACHOR V. Those awaiting Revan's arrival, including members of the Sith and the Jedi, are shocked when he fails to return from this pilgrimage. It is unknown whether Revan destroyed or resurrected the primal Sith forces on this forbidden planetoid.

The turmoil of the previous decade has had a detrimental effect on the surviving members of the Jedi Order. Disillusionment and despair persists in the wake of the war both throughout the Old Republic, and within the Jedi Order itself. Furthering exacerbating the malaise is the corruption of Darth Revan and Darth Malak, and the untold harm their actions had brought to the Republic. These three reasons were cited by many the impetus for the disbanding of the Jedi. While the Jedi mull over their troubles, the battle-hardened Mandalorian hero CANDEROUS ORDO returns to the homeworld of DXUN, seeking to rebuild his clan, and find a new purpose in the galaxy. Through prowess and cunning, he rises to eventually become Mandalore.

EDI MASTER KREIA, Revan's old mentor, is still haunted by guilt, wondering whether it was her teaching that resulted in Revan's fall to the dark side, and begins to search for him. Sensing his last location, she travels to Malachor V, but is unable to shield her emotions, and is completely consumed by the dark side of the Force. She is lost to the Jedi, spending the next several years on Malachor V, learning its secrets, and eventually becoming The master of the Sith academy there. Guided by Kreia's influence, Sith assassins once again begin to emerge silently from Malachor V and strike at isolated Jedi across the Republic, capturing some Jedi to turn to the dark side, and slaying those that resist. Taken to the dark side world of Malachor V to be fed to the planet's dark energies, these Jedi husks create even more assassins and DARK JEDI, feeding the planet's hunger.

478327[/snapback]

And in the entry before that, they go out of their way to avoid giving Revan a gender unless they absolutely have to in order toa avoid using "they" or "it".

Like I said, seems a matter of convenience.

If they'd gone straight in calling Revan a man and mentioning his love for Bastila, I'd be of a different opinion.

Read my last point about why men will sometimes play games with a female lead: basically men play games like BloodRayne and Tomb Raider because the female protagonist is aethetically pleasing to look at. She's either wearing short shorts or tight-ass leather with spiked heels. It's all about the sex appeal and little else.

I think it's oversimplifying things here. The "it's all about sex appeal" argument is much like "what was first, egg or chicken" -- we have no way to tell if these games wouldn't have sold just as well if the main character wasn't wearing such kind of outfits... which is quite likely, when you consider that games which had 'normally' dressed females as leads (the Longest Journey or Syberia series) also wind up popular and recognized widely as masterpieces... plus, men apparently have no problem with playing female characters that aren't really pleasing to the eye in MMO games. (trolls, dwarves, hundred years old wrinkly mages and whatnot)

and the whole arguement that revan was a man was taken from 3 lines from that thing.... I'm no lawyer but that seems weak even to me..

It's just as good as the "The usage of 'him' could be gender neutral - which much naturally mean that Revan was female. Also, the Carth romance was soooooooooo hot... how can Revan *not* be female?" argument. :p