I have a problem with the new Star Wars movie

The movie contains massive spoilers for the original trilogy. Do you remember how you first felt when you heard Vader say those famous words inside Bespin? Seeing the disbelief in Luke's face, which probably matched the disbelief on your face? When you find out Leia is Luke's sister, how disgusted were you that they kissed on Hoth?

With the new movie (/trilogy), you already know that Luke and Leia are twins. You already know Anakin is their father. You already know that he becomes Darth Vader. You already know that "Old Ben" is really Obiwan. For those who are watching the original trilogy after having seen the new trilogy, a lot of the plot twists are already known.

The "new"(as in IV-VI) movies are over 20 years old. It's probably intentional filling in the blanks in EP I-III. I doubt the intent is that anyone watch them and then watch the old ones.

It might possibly apply to the little ones, but unless they are clever little buggers they will be there to see what toys are coming along next.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The movie contains massive spoilers for the original trilogy.  Do you remember how you first felt when you heard Vader say those famous words inside Bespin?  Seeing the disbelief in Luke's face, which probably matched the disbelief on your face?  When you find out Leia is Luke's sister, how disgusted were you that they kissed on Hoth?

With the new movie (/trilogy), you already know that Luke and Leia are twins.  You already know Anakin is their father.  You already know that he becomes Darth Vader.  You already know that "Old Ben" is really Obiwan.  For those who are watching the original trilogy after having seen the new trilogy, a lot of the plot twists are already known.

So what you're saying is that we're gonna have alot of pissed off 10yr olds who aren't familiar with the original trilogy? :ph34r:

It just ruins it for anyone coming into the Star Wars universe who hasn't seen the original trilogy.

You'r right. So, give the good advice to everybody who asks you, not to watch the prequel trilogy first.

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

I just watched the trailer. I don't know why, even though I already knew that Anakin is Vader, I still feel rather sad after watching it, and thats just the trailer only.

Re-numbering the movies is a good idea. When episode I came out, I was so confused.

Basicly, to me, these movies do not exist.

For one Lucas tries to claim he had them written all along.... but we never hear the word sith metioned once in the orignal series. Its very clear he made up most of this plot very recently. Because I highly doubt when Lucas was in his prime he would have writen a charactor like Jar-jar binks.

Second, they are just plain bad. They are not true to the spirt of the first trilogy. Mainly because the were just made to capitalize off the success of the originals. Other than KOTOR I really really dislike almost everything to do with Star wars that is not the ep. 4-6. Exspecialy EU novels ( sorry guys I know there a lot of fans of them out there but most not all just strike me as really cheezy and stupid plot less wastes of trees)

Finally, is there any purpose to these than the attepmt to relive the ep. 4-6. We all know how it ends jedi die. Yoda hides. Vader take over. Seeing it takes a away that bit of mistery of the clone wars not really knowing what exactly what happend. All we had were theories and stories from Old Ben. And aprently all that happened during the clone wars was a crappy love stories and terrible acting. I think if you want the feel of the origanls go watch them dont make these crappy imitaions.

ROME OUT

For one Lucas tries to claim he had them written all along.... but we never hear the word sith metioned once in the orignal series.  Its very clear he made up most of this plot very recently.  Because I highly doubt when Lucas was in his prime he would have writen a charactor like Jar-jar binks.

I doubt he did, but I've heard Vader reffered to as the Dark Lord of the Sith for as long as I can remember. I can also remember when Mark Hamil came to visit and made Star Wars stew (a more edibile version of the thing on EPV). :cool:

Starting with IV seems a very odd thing to do if you have the idea all along. I think it's more of a case of him wanting to fill in the blanks. The problem with that is that everyone has done it already in one form or another and it's not likely that their imagined version and his will match.

EP II had me cringing in my seat. I'm only watching III because having watched the other five it would be silly not to.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I don't know how to describe how I feel about the last movies. The original trilogy is really what got me into "storytelling" and has me currently transfering to USC to go to film school.

These new movies have there moments but they are few and far between. I remember when I was watching Episode 1 and there is that part after they left Tatoonie and Anakin and Padme are talking I almost cried the first time i saw it. It was like the history of this world I'd loved so much was finally materializing. I also remember at the end I was sort of in a stupper. The whole thing with Anakin "accidently" destroying the Droid army had me embarassed for George Lucas and Star Wars fans. During episode 2 I just kept saying to myself "what in hell is this crap, do something, stop whining you're god damn Darth Vader, Darth Vader doesn't cry, stop kissing him he's a total wuss, god when are they going to stop talking and do something? Geonosians are sure tall, man if Jango Fett was the teleplate for stormtroopers how come they can't shoot. Oh crap Jango Fett is just as accident proned its seem as Boba Fett. I would think giant bugs would be more badass, Is he whining again, How come Sarumon is in this movie? Yoda is a badass, but somehow I never really pictured him as that type of badass. Was that three hours, it seemed more like 5.

As to these movies I fear that they are already ruined for me. I'm probaly not even going to worry about seeing it the first day, that says something for me. By the way the EU is gawd awfull

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

These new movies have there moments but they are few and far between. I remember when I was watching Episode 1 and there is that part after they left Tatoonie and Anakin and Padme are talking I almost cried the first time i saw it. It was like the history of this world I'd loved so much was finally materializing. I also remember at the end I was sort of in a stupper. The whole thing with Anakin "accidently" destroying the Droid army had me embarassed for George Lucas and Star Wars fans. During episode 2 I just kept saying to myself "what in hell is this crap, do something, stop whining you're god damn Darth Vader, Darth Vader doesn't cry, stop kissing him he's a total wuss, god when are they going to stop talking and do something? Geonosians are sure tall, man if Jango Fett was the teleplate for stormtroopers how come they can't shoot. Oh crap Jango Fett is just as accident proned its seem as Boba Fett. I would think giant bugs would be more badass, Is he whining again, How come Sarumon is in this movie? Yoda is a badass, but somehow I never really pictured him as that type of badass. Was that three hours, it seemed more like 5.

Gold. :)

But you forgot the UCM (Universal Cringe Moment):

"I don't like the sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating - not like you. You're soft and smooth" >_<

manthing2.jpg

I was always under the impression that Lucas had written a rough concept of episodes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6...but when he realised he couldnt fit that into one movie and/or trilogy he decided to just used 4-6 cuz he liked it better or thought that should be the main focus....and worked with the available technology. That's why they were called 4-6 and it was strange to some ppl until he said there was 3 previous acts to the tale....

and now he remade them....as prequels....and could fully re-make his vision with the technology we have now, and also the new tech is why he wanted to re-create his original vision with the OT special editions (altho I think those messed it up alittle bit, some things were done well but some were not)

For the later generations the twist will be that the Chosen one Anakin falls to the dark side and that Palpatine is really Darth Sidious.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Gold. ;)

But you forgot the UCM (Universal Cringe Moment):

"I don't like the sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating - not like you. You're soft and smooth" :p

I'd use that line, but unfortantly its hard to lure women out into the desert, especially since I have this ankle bracelet that beeps everytime I leave the house

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Bah. Episodes 1 and 2 are pretty much as good as Episodes 4-6. People overrate the original trilogy, imo. They both have their silly moments. Outside of Jar Jar Binks, and a few other things; E1&2 are solid mobies. Not great; but not horrible much like the originals.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Bah. Episodes 1 and 2 are pretty much as good as Episodes 4-6. People overrate the original trilogy, imo. They both have their silly moments. Outside of Jar Jar Binks, and a few other things; E1&2 are solid  mobies. Not great; but not horrible much like the originals.

Major problems I have with the orginal trilogy so far are

A: the de-mystification of the force. no longer is it "an energy fields that surrounds us and binds us together" its now a bunch of microscopic parasites (though it is interesting to note that the midichlorians never got mentioned in ep 2)

B: I just can't see how Mr. Whiny becomes Darth Vader. Nope. Don't see that at all.

C: Unless ep 3 has some seriously improved writing, I can't see how they can correct all the continuity errors between original trilogy and the new flicks. For example, the convo between Luke and Ghost Kenobi on Degobah where Ben talks about his taking on Anakin as his apprentice and how Yoda was his master. None of that matches with what we learned in Eps 1 and 2. I'd cite others but I'm at work so my typing time is limited.

Visually the movies are great but they have no substance. IMnsHO of course

B: I just can't see how Mr. Whiny becomes Darth Vader.  Nope.  Don't see that at all.

Heh. A lot of people seems to think that just because he's Vader in the OT, he should have been born an evil mofo. Yeah, he should have force choked to death that fool who owned him and his mother, and he should have killed Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan as soon as he saw them because they were Jedi. And everyone knows that Lord Vader lives to kill Jedi. :luck:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

imo i rate the prequels almost on par with that of the OT, well firstly people say the acting in the prequels are generally crap I might be inclined to agree were it not for the fact that when you look at Episode 4, the acting wasn't exactly all that great either.

Plus I never had a problem with the midichlorians, weirdly enough i thought it was like cancer. I mean everyone in the world has cancer it just depends on the conditions necessary to act as a catalyst to get cancer going and spreading. So the Jedi and Sith kinda found a way to tap this 'cancer' and control it.

Also I never had a problem with the Anakin being whiny in Episode 1 and 2 as I believe it shows how most kids and teenagers act nowadays. There always whining bout something. But with Episode 3 there shouldn't be any whining now as Anakin should have matured by now, hopefully.

I do agree on 1 thing though, how the hell did Lucas come up with as crap a creature as Jar-Jar Binks. But good on him for coming up with the now famous double-ended lightsaber

I do agree on 1 thing though, how the hell did Lucas come up with as crap a creature as Jar-Jar Binks.

Ewoks.

'Nuff said.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

C: Unless ep 3 has some seriously improved writing, I can't see how they can correct all the continuity errors between original trilogy and the new flicks.  For example, the convo between Luke and Ghost Kenobi on Degobah where Ben talks about his taking on Anakin as his apprentice and how Yoda was his master.  None of that matches with what we learned in Eps 1 and 2.

That can be explained depending on how literal you take what Obi-Wan says to Luke on Dagobah. When Qui-Gon died, Obi-Wan did take on Anakin as his padawan/apprentice. Also, since Yoda usually tutored the younglings, and was seen as "the" Jedi Master, it's not a stretch to take what Obi-Wan said about Yoda being his master could be seen as true.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

That can be explained depending on how literal you take what Obi-Wan says to Luke on Dagobah.  When Qui-Gon died, Obi-Wan did take on Anakin as his padawan/apprentice.  Also, since Yoda usually tutored the younglings, and was seen as "the" Jedi Master, it's not a stretch to take what Obi-Wan said about Yoda being his master could be seen as true.

Lets see if I can remember this...

"Luke you will go to the Degaba system, there you will learn from Yoda, the jedi master who instructed me".

"The" does make it sound like Yoda was the ony one. Rather than one of the jedi masters who instructed me.

They needed Qui Gon for EP I because could you imagine Yoda doing that ? Plus of course he would have taken down Maul with a wave of his little green CGI hand, or did a mexican jumping bean impression all over him.

They also needed some way for Obi to take over anakins training before he was ready and that would only happen if his master was dead. And since everyone knows when Yoda dies, that was never going to happen.

Still having seen what he did to the end of EP V I wouldnt put it past him to mess around with future versions to lend credibility to EPI-III as part of his original "vision".

478327[/snapback]

Exactly, yoda was basically everyone's master......even tho qui gon was obi's master, he died, and yoda councled obi wan thru the clone wars and gave guidence and etc. and they all helped eachother, they were all in it together u know...they just named yoda and ben over anakin because they were the only two jedi alive...if mace windu was alive in the OT they'd have named him too, most likely...that's my theory/explination on it.........

and I think Episode 3 will cover things very well....I just read Labrynth of Evil and it hinted at alot of things, it talks how dooku gets tricked by palpatine like the kidnapping set up and all that, and how palp is kidnapped at the beginning of Ep 3, it talked and hinted about 3po getting advised a memory wipe.....lots of things, actually that was an excellent book, it's the first star wars book I've ever read, just because I wanted an update from ep2-ep3 before I saw episode 3 cuz I dont waste my time with the ohter books and clone wars comics....I'm not into comics and cartoons...lol