The Incomplete Endings are lame.

I don't agree. Atton's death (if LS female) and Bao-Dur's sacrifice were great dramatic elements and I would have respected the writers even more if they got those events into the game (well, Bao-Dur's sacrifice is halfway-in already).

Plus, if they went further than implication of crew members dying, it could make a sequel a bit easier to write. Less contradictions - So-and-so can't make a cameo because if you did this, he/she got devoured by a horde of gizka, ect.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Wow. Atton dying would have been real tragic LS or an example of weakness DS. It would've packed a punch in video game drama. Same with the more sympathetic characters, like Bao Dur and Handmaiden dying. Visas should have died in the fight against Nihilus. She should be allowed to rejoin her people by becoming one with the force.

Off topic, but Aurora - is your avatar one of the steel angels?

While I profess no love for Atton (mmm, Mira and/or Handmaiden fills that category... although I prefer Mira, probably because she's unattainable >_<) it would be somewhat fitting for him to die, considering his past. It would actually strengthen his character I think, if he did die. Or at least got mutilated Kreia/Luke/Annakin style.

A few characters dieing in some endings wouldn't be a bad thing. From what I understand, it's not as if every character would be dieing in every ending.

Remember when Kriea says something about you having a choice. Searching through some of the unused dialogue reveals that this choice she was talking about was apparently a choice of paths: one path would let you save at least some of your companians, but weaken you; the other would make you stronger, but would sacrifice some of your companians. So it seems Obsidian was going to let you save some of your companians in at least some situations.

The way I look at it, having most of your friends die your first time through the game would just be an incentive to play through the game again, hoping you could find ways to save some of them.

Wait a second.......Jedi Master Revan did Lucas Arts pay you for this topic ,so you will make the cuting like a good thing?I prefer the characters dead ,to pieces!It makes the endings more interesting.........

Visas should have died in the fight against Nihilus. She should be allowed to rejoin her people by becoming one with the force.

She can die during the fight against Darth Nihilus, actually. Even in the final version of the game. Simply equip Visas Marr with simple Clothing (no armor or robes) and some sort of melee weapon or lightsaber before entering the Bridge on the Ravager. During the mid-battle "intermission" moment (when Visas Marr said, "He's...too powerful..."), look for a new dialogue option there that will allow you to actually convince her to sacrifice herself. It was sort of portrayed as a cruel Dark Side-oriented action on your part to convince her to do so, more than any sort of uplifting resolution for Visas Marr's character, though...

Are we sure Atton always would have died though? Listening to the dialogue perhaps he would only die if he didn't become a jedi character? There's various dialogue of companions attacking each other, Kreia/Atrius taunting Jedi companions....Sion stating that you havn't killed the real Treya etc..It seems like we're looking at 3 incomplete endings.

Never liked the endings either. Although the reason was twofold. First I was incredulous that Sion could have killed Atton in game when Atton in my game was only a fraction less uber than a I was.

Second the whole doom and gloom thing just dosnt work in SW. Even EP V which is pretty gloomy ends on a high note with Luke getting a new hand that looks remarkably like the original. Lando joining the good guys and going off to search for Han etc.

I'm not totally objectional to characters dying ,but they must do so in a game manner rather than just because the writer thinks its a good idea. Otherwise it makes irrelevent all that growth and careful nurturing.

In games where characters die it generally happens in one of two ways.

After the fact (once the game is over). They finish the job , but something occured that means they will miss the happy ending. Frodo in a way, or Alice. Tidus in FFX, they save the world but in doing so they sacrifice their own lives.

At a point where their sacrifice is the only way to continue. Such as "gramps" in FFV and Mareg in Grandia II. It's not simply a case of them dying and then 5 minutes later you happening along and killing what killed them.

They die so that you can become strong enough to face something that would have killed you in a heartbeat at that stage of the quest. Thats why the sacrifice has meaning. If they died and then you killed the thing in 2 or 3 rounds, their deaths would just have been cheap and wasteful.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I think Atton's death would've been powerful plot point to the story itself... it gives him more character, makes him stronger and it gives a sense of redemption from all that murder he did back when he was a Sith Assassin... some of the character's death, i think, would make the story stronger... like Biggs... when he... when he... *sob* He just... *sob* And it all... *sob* that was beautiful *bawls*

I think Atton's death would've been powerful plot point to the story itself... it gives him more character, makes him stronger and it gives a sense of redemption from all that murder he did back when he was a Sith Assassin... some of the character's death, i think, would make the story stronger... like Biggs... when he... when he... *sob* He just... *sob* And it all... *sob* that was beautiful *bawls*

It would have made no sense though. Because Atton could have kicked Sions arse into the middle of next week at that point in the game.

If it had happened on Koriban (assuming Korriban was pushed up the order of planets) then it would have had meaning. You know the bit where you all run away and Sion dosnt follow you?

As it stood at the end it was just very cheap. Besides Atton has stealth and is not a believer in fair fights. :)

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Never liked the endings either. Although the reason was twofold. First I was incredulous that Sion could have killed Atton in game when Atton in my game was only a fraction less uber than a I was.

Actually, I dont see Atton killing Sion because Atton, like Kreia always says (like it or not) is a fool. Exile's victory against Sion was a matter of breaking Sion's will, so he could no longer sustain his body through the force. I doubt Atton would be capable of the same feat. Though it does seem he got his ass kicked too easily.

At any rate, I would've hated it if Atton died. He was my favorit character in K2, probably because I considered him the most real of them all (he has flaws and advantages, everyone else just seems almost perfect in whoever they are). He also goes through major changes in the game, from being a bastard to becomming some simulacrum of a nice guy. Mira is my sec favorit.

In ROTJ, I didn't want to see Han, Leia, and Chewie die, with Luke the only survivor. Why? Because this is Star Wars. Vader dieing was good. If my girls had gotten whacked that wouldn't have gone over very well. And I sort of saw Atton as a kid brother, a few rough spots and a few mistakes in the past, but no reason he couldn't get another chance.

Theres also the cut materail itself. Is that actually complete? I rather doubt it. I'd bet there were options to let them live and/or avoid the death completely. If the cut material had been finished it would've been put in. Time constraints just made sure that portion of it never even made it to disk. Afterall, in Planescape, EVERYone dies but the Nameless One, but you get to rez them before the finale. This probably would've been like that, if not for being rushed.