This game has it's claws in me

I had a hard time being 'evil' in Kotor2 myself...I'm usually a good or chaotic good sort.

But I really wanted to see/play the dark side in this game so I forced myself to go that way. Had to restart twice before I could stop thinking 'nice'. heh

But.....I absolutely loved being Dark by the end. I'm playing Light now, and it feels more dull - I can't tell people to jump in pits, or kill that guards by the Exchange door just for fun, etc. Plus I have to refrain from snapping at Kreia....nooooooo! :p

Being Light has brought up different dialogues with my fave characters tho, and that's enough reason to continue. I want to hear/see everything. :D

And it's been a lot easier to achieve Mastery and keep it there (so far) with Light than Dark - especially in terms of the NPC influence stuff.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I played KotOR about ten times through before I bought TSL. I'm playing 2 games on TSL: LS male and LS female. I'm going to *attempt* to play DS, though I'm suspecting I'll have little luck. (I'm such a wimp... ^_^) I completed KotOR 1 in about 3 days -- played about 5-10 hours each day. Good times... great memories.

signature2.jpg

Fanfics:

KotOR II: After the Credits Rolled: Read

Force Sight: Read

Other:

Gaming Blog: Read

And that's could be a good and only reason to buy Doom III ;)

No reason is good enough to buy Doom 3.

I'm one of those players to likes to feel all important and powerful.

That's rather common. It's not so common to see someone admit it, though. ;)"

That presents a problem with CRPGs, though. If you are designing a game in which the PC levels up too much, and still want to be consequent with the ruleset and what a level means (ie no level 70 beggars), you will have to keep combat to a minimum, or have loads of cannon fodder. None of those alternatives is very good, and that's why it's so difficult to balance CRPGs that center on epic stories and characters (which seem to be most of them lately).

/rant mode

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I just want to see a non-epic CRPG that your character just does his daily business of surviving n a hostile world and has no real ability to save it or destroy it.

I killed god over the weekend :wub:

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Power doesn't necessarily have to present itself in levels. It's also about how well your character is recognised and how people react to you. You weren't overly powerful in KotOR1 (much less so than KotOR2 anyway) but your character had a huge reputation, people reacted strongly to you, and you went around and saved the galaxy. Same with the BG games...there was always hints of your destiny, and heritage.

If I want a CRPG that gives you a more ordinary character in a more ordinary setting, I'll probably play a simulation game or something.

Power doesn't necessarily have to present itself in levels. It's also about how well your character is recognised and how people react to you.

Indeed, just having people congratulate you on being swoop champ, or that kind of thing, is rather gratifying. And I find being thanked or recognised for good or great deeds to be the most 'empowering' experience of all. People seek achievement in different forms. Overwhelming greatness can be constituted in good or constructive deeds just as easily as evil or destructive deeds.

I think that fame is the finest manifestation of power in an RPG. It's coming back from the campaign, and being lauded, that's the real glory. Its stories being told of you after your death. And when those stories are told, some will want to be remembered as Jesus Christ, while others are happy to be Herod (he's called Herod the Great for a reason, after all), if I may draw on that scenario.

The main problem I had with NWN was the boring storyline. But I played it through nevertheless, just once though and when the expansion sets came out, I still went out to buy them. The first expansion sucks big time, another boring storyline but I fell in love with the HOTU expansion. *cough* valen *cough*

I think KOTOR was alot more fun than NWN. I played KOTOR over 20 times. Yeah, I've got no life. When KOTOR 2 came out, I went to get it as soon as I can. Between KOTOR and KOTOR 2, I'm not sure which one I like better. KOTOR 2 could have beat KOTOR except the ending was sucking.

Although I too like feeling powerful and important in a game, I also like Hades idea.

I mean you can only be the Chosen One/Son of a God/Divine Being so many times before it starts feeling cliche.

I'd be curious as how'd to implement such a gaming system where you'd feel like an average joe in a situation way over your head, your only thought being how to get out.

I suppose the way difference between a hero type character and a average joe character would be that the hero goes looking for his/her destiny while the average joe just focuses on avoiding trouble and staying alive. Any ideas how devs might be able to make this interesting?

You dont have to be the son of a god. But you do genrally need some sort of personal link to the plot.

Otherwise the player needs to do much of the "filling in" and it's evident that this isnt something that a lot of CRPG players can do (not that you can really blame them, because with lots of years of PnP you do it almost without thinking about it).

While I personally like the hands off approach, unless you are able and willing to create your own characters, those with a predesiged background will be more complete, and feel more a part of the world as a whole.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I thought that NWN had er serious problem... the first time I played it I only got the the second episode and it died to me...

Later though I finished HoU and it gave me a reason to play the original storyline... and so I did... which was a very good thing...

After I finished the main story and played through HoU again it all made sence... and I really think it was worth it... practically the same with BGI and II... played BGII and later returned to the first one...

Both have great story... and I still enjoy the old games from time to time... Always new things to try...

You weren't overly powerful in KotOR1 (much less so than KotOR2 anyway)

In fact you were absolutely powerful in K1. As powerful as they get, in fact. As much as Yoda or Palps ever were. K2 doesn't use the same ruleset, so you can't really make comparisons.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Technically I was as powerful as Yoda, Palpatine and every other level 20 uber-powerful character. But playing as a LS Guardian with few force powers, I didn't feel quite so powerful. I could never use the force to any great effect, and it cost me severely when I did try to use it.