Footstep volume

For some reason, the footsteps of my characters are extremely loud. I'm sure I'm missing something really simple, but I can't seem to find a way to lower their volume. I've tried lowering each of the volume sliders (music, sound effects, voices, etc) individually with no success, and when I lower them all completely, the ONLY sound remaining is the party's footsteps. I've also disabled EAX with no effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, Rhaedan, it bothers me too.

Although, lowering the 'Sound Effects Volume' also lowers the footsteps sounds as expected on my system. I just tried it again both with and without EAX and also in SOFTWARE emulation mode. So, if the footsteps still play at full volume if you lower this volume setting, then something is odd.

Nonetheless, it's a shame one cannot adjust the footsteps volume separately, since currently they are very loud, and become annoying after a while. I wish developers would learn that footstep sounds should always be subtle, since by their nature they're the most frequently played back sound in a game.

I had this same issue in Doom3 and I just modded it for myself. I was thinking about doing the same thing for KotOR2.

Well, force sound did seem to do the trick.  Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Be aware that if you use "Force Software" you are in fact running in Software mode, so the sound quality is going to be less (probably why the footsteps are lower) and the stress on the CPU will be greater.

It shouldn't matter if you have a fast processor... But you might as well have not spent money on a Soundblaster (or whatever sound card you may have) if you decide to use onboard sound like this.

Well, force sound did seem to do the trick.  Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Be aware that if you use "Force Software" you are in fact running in Software mode, so the sound quality is going to be less (probably why the footsteps are lower) and the stress on the CPU will be greater.

It shouldn't matter if you have a fast processor... But you might as well have not spent money on a Soundblaster (or whatever sound card you may have) if you decide to use onboard sound like this.

Yep, sound quality has certainly degraded with the force option, but the noise was overwhelming on metal floor environments.