kotor 2 + new laptop = playable?

My desktop computer can't run kotor 2 due to a crappy video card. Boo-hoo and all that.

However, I'm now in the market for a new laptop for school... and a new internship. I've been shopping around for laptops in my price range and there's a relatively inexpensive Sony with a better graphics card, which is supposedly supported: ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 64 MB.

I know kotor 2 should be able to run on this card, but it seems like quite a few people are having problems anyway.

Alternatively, if I'm willing to spend a little extra, there are some other laptops with ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, but I'm not sure if that's even supported and I'd rather not spend the extra money right now.

What are your opinions? Perhaps I should keep looking? I've got 'til summer.

Got with the mobile 9700 rather than the 9200 (even the desktop version of the 9200 is terrible, whereas the the 9700 is more than adequate).

If you're planning on gaming with the laptop you'll really appreciate the better card. Games are not unplayable on a laptop.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 8200 with a 64MB Quadro4 700GoGL.

It's running fine so far except for two (I believe) non-graphics-related bugs.

To the original poster, it sounds like the ATI mobile cards are having a bit more trouble, for the most part, running KotOR2. That said, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't get a laptop with an ATI because I've heard of other games in which the ATI mobiles run better than the nVidia ones.

My desktop computer can't run kotor 2 due to a crappy video card. Boo-hoo and all that.

However, I'm now in the market for a new laptop for school... and a new internship. I've been shopping around for laptops in my price range and there's a relatively inexpensive Sony with a better graphics card, which is supposedly supported: ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 64 MB.

I know kotor 2 should be able to run on this card, but it seems like quite a few people are having problems anyway.

Alternatively, if I'm willing to spend a little extra, there are some other laptops with ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, but I'm not sure if that's even supported and I'd rather not spend the extra money right now.

What are your opinions? Perhaps I should keep looking? I've got 'til summer.

I've played trough the whole game without any major problems on a Dell Inspiron 5150 with a GeForce go 5200.

Quotes that games do not work on Laptops are a little daft. I'm running on a not so new, but nice a powerful IBM ThinkPad T41p, just looking at some of the top sellers list at the moment I'll list the games that I have had no issues with what so ever.

Rome: Total War

Doom III

Half Life II

Star Wars: Republic Commando

Warhammer40k: Dawn of War

The Settlers: Heritage of Kings

Immortal Cities: Children of the Nile

Medal of Honour: Pacific Assault

Dark Age of Camelot: Trials of Atlantis and all free expansions.

Just to name a few of them....

The one that will not work

Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

This has nothing to do with a laptop being used to play, but the quality of quality assurance testing that went into the end of the development cycle, or the lack there of.

Laptop V Desktop, power consumption is the only real deal here, the processor does not have hyper threading like the desktop, but a 1.7 GHz mobility chip will have almost the same performance rating, on core apps, as a 3 GHz, unless hyper threading is enabled. And for gaming, hyper threading adds next to nothing to the current generation.

Laptops do not have the same raw power, but in terms of performance per volt, they outshine all the desktops.

I've played trough the whole game without any major problems on a Dell Inspiron 5150 with a GeForce go 5200.

Thanks all for your advice! I've done some more shopping around and I'm guessing a Dell Inspiron 9300 with GeForce 6800 will work?

How much will that set you back?  You should really check out Alienware laptops.  They really own (I don't think even the people who've posted here will try to make that hey can't run games)!

About $1500. But I've never heard of Alienware laptops.

Thanks all for your advice! I've done some more shopping around and I'm guessing a Dell Inspiron 9300 with GeForce 6800 will work?

It looks like Vustare, Sloth, and I use Dell Inspiron rigs with Nvidia

I just looked at the dell site, and you do realise that it doesn't come with a 6800 by default? I'd say go for it if you change the config. It needs at least another 256megs of memory in there and could do with a faster processor.

As an alternative, look at HP. IMHO they're a much better brand than Dell. They're also a fair bit cheaper at the high end.

Sounds like that Dell should be excellent value for money (I'm quite jealous actually, it's about twice as expensive in the UK).

Is this perhaps an argument for the introduction of the Euro in UK...

I think Dell's Dollar and Euro prices are nearly the same.

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

Acer Extensa 2902LMi

• 15.0" SXGA+ TFT LCD @ 1400 x 1050 :D
  • Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2
  • Pentium M 715 (1.5 GHz, 400 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)
  • 512 MB DDR
  • 60 GB HDD
  • ATI Radeon Mobility 9700, 64 MB VRAM

Using these modded graphic drivers.

I can play games no problem. Don't think I'm gonna buy me another desktop system ever again.

Edit: And that's a rather "old" laptop.

Sounds like that Dell should be excellent value for money (I'm quite jealous actually, it's about twice as expensive in the UK).

Is this perhaps an argument for the introduction of the Euro in UK...

I think Dell's Dollar and Euro prices are nearly the same.

If I thought that would actually happen that would be great...