Jade Empire

Volourn

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/jadeempir...emp_tr0310e.asx

Check out Official Trailer 3.

It looks awesome. I don't if anyone in their right mine will be able to complain about its graphics.

I must say I did have my doubts about the full fledge RT combat; but that video gives me hope for it actually being good and fun. There are some story stuff in the video. Very interetsing. Though; it's still mostly combat and scene watching.

Also, it's been confirmed on the boards that JE will be rated M for Mature.

Damn. It sucks I cna't own a x-box. Migh thave to borrow my sister's boyfriend's x-box and rent the game.

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I thought you acquired a Xbox for 100 bucks a while ago?"

No one reads more than the first post of a thread, I think. <> That 'deal' didn't work out because of a moron.

"I will survive (I think )."

As good (or as bad) as JE will be; I think you can survive not playing any game including it. :D

I wonder Volourn if its going to be that good.

I heard many things about Shenmue and when I got my Fire Hazard I decided to pick up Shenmue II and ... lets say I found it boring, still the things I disliked over Shenmue was the "press the key on the screen before it vanishes" and not so much the combat system (then again I never got far enough to get a feel for using it) so JE might not go down that path.

There are three things I dislike of JE so much.

1) "The open foot" and "the closed mouth" ... we have aligment in D&D because the original system was based on it, aligment systems sould be avoided ...

2) The airship (this is not Final Fantasy).

3) "This is game is based on chinese mythology ... and japanese ... and canadian", I know that BioWare avoids the critics over how "based" its actually is but from what I seen so far it does not look like its based on it, it look they simoly made the game visualy look like some place in china and put some "mythology looking" stuff on it but that is about it.

Of course they keep a tight lid on the story but I doubt such things as the 5 elements (wood, iron, water, earth and fire) will be featured on it.

drakron.png

Good points Drakron; but remember JE is not an action game with role-playing elements. It's a role-playing game with action elements. At least that's how Bioware describes it.

"1) "The open foot" and "the closed mouth" ... we have aligment in D&D because the original system was based on it, aligment systems sould be avoided ..."

I'm not worried about alignemnt stuff. I actually like the D&D alignment system. That said, JE's system is not a strict alignment system like D&D's is. They are philopshies of a way of life; not neccessarily good/evil.

"2) The airship (this is not Final Fantasy)."

LOL Since when does FF have sole rights to airships? You are right; this isn't FF. FF doesn't even try to let you 'choose your destiny". The airship - the drgaonfly - looks cool; and it seems to fit the world of the Jade Empire.

"3) "This is game is based on chinese mythology ... and japanese ... and canadian", I know that BioWare avoids the critics over how "based" its actually is but from what I seen so far it does not look like its based on it, it look they simoly made the game visualy look like some place in china and put some "mythology looking" stuff on it but that is about it."

The Jade Empire is *not* Ancient China. BIO has already said if you are someone epxecting a full fledge recreation of Ancient China you are looking at the wrong game.

BIO wrote:'So you aren

"1) "The open foot" and "the closed mouth" ... we have aligment in D&D because the original system was based on it, aligment systems sould be avoided ..."

I'm not worried about alignemnt stuff. I actually like the D&D alignment system. That said, JE's system is not a strict alignment system like D&D's is. They are philopshies of a way of life; not neccessarily good/evil.

Yes, but every dd game by bioware has way too much description in their alignments. So in the end I don

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

"When I go to store and see JE box there and see the m-rating in it I will "attempt to disbelief" it. Well, not really... Probably..."

Eh. I don't know why Dave Gaider would blankly lie about the rating. Afterall, a M rating likely means less sells unless your name is GTA. Of course, there's still amonth to go so things can change; but he was very matter of fact in his assertion of the M rating.

"I expect as much. So in next year NWN 2, Dragon Age and Jade Empire would all be published. Hmm, I probably should start sleep right now, because I wont be doing it a lot next year."

LOL

SoU main bad guy was a Medusa, and last time I checked a medusa is female. We weren't going against a Maeldor (I think that is what they call the male of the medusan species). If the Valsharess isn't female then the drow are even more twisted than I thought.

Bah. Sorry. I mistook the 'Baddie' part of your complaint... I just noticed that Betrayer part. However, the Vesharess isn't the main baddie in HOTU as you well know.

So, you against female main villains, epriod? Then you must really hate KOTOR2 then since it's ANOTHER female baddie AND she betrays you.

R00fles!

The difference in KotOR 2 is that she was never really on your side and as the player you know this and even deep down the character knows this. At least that was my interpretation. Obsidian didn't try to insult our intelligence by making it a "plot twist" unlike Bioware.

Valsharess was close enough for government work and their was betrayal involved.

Besides, in the way how the KotOR 2 develops there is no central main baddie. That is one of the reasons I like it. Just because Kreia is the last one killed doesn't make her the main bad guy. You aren't saving the world, the galaxy, a civilization, and other bullcrap.

"The difference in KotOR 2 is that she was never really on your side and as the player you know this and even deep down the character knows this. At least that was my interpretation. Obsidian didn't try to insult our intelligence by making it a "plot twist" unlike Bioware."

Huh? She does betray you. You'd be on crack to think of it. And, it was a twist - just a poorly done one.

"Valsharess was close enough for government work and their was betrayal involved."

Huh? Valsharess was not the main baddie. Not even close. As far as the betrayal, huh? She was never on your side. If you were dumb enough to think she was; that's your problem. LOL

"Besides, in the way how the KotOR 2 develops there is no central main baddie. That is one of the reasons I like it. Just because Kreia is the last one killed doesn't make her the main bad guy. You aren't saving the world, the galaxy, a civilization, and other bullcrap."

A. Yes, she was. Kreia was most defintely the main baddie. Afterall, she is the one who pushes the story forward. She is the one with the 'Master Plan'. The other Sith lords ar enothing but her pawns in her own game.

C. You ar emost certainly saving the galaxy. Afterall, Krea's plan is tod estroy the Force along with both the Jedi, and Sith. Not to mention all the lviingc reatures as well.

Were you on crack playing KOTOR2 or what?

Anyways, this is about Jade Empire, and its M rating. :devil:

"I can't say I'm looking forward to another obvious Bioware story, but the gameplay looks good and it's just a case of wait and see if the story is worthwhile."

If you don't like 'epic stories' you won't like JE. All BIo's stories will be epic. That's just the way it is.

If you don't like 'epic stories' you won't like JE. All BIo's stories will be epic. That's just the way it is.

I like epic. I just dont like obvious and thats what Bioware have been since NwN.

I especially loathe the way they try to be clever by putting in a "twist" then make it so obvious in game clues it's impossible to miss if your paying attention.

Blokey in NwN and those letters you get off the assasins.

The whole Revan thing in KOTOR

If your going to give people in game clues then you need to give them option to act on them. Or it's blatently obvious you are being railroaded and nothing you do matters anyway.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

"Blokey in NwN and those letters you get off the assasins."

No doubt here. Very poorly done.

"The whole Revan thing in KOTOR"

Wrong. This was well done. Sure, you may thinnk you knwo; but it's not factual. Seriosuly, I never got the chance to figure out of myself due to spoilers from the x-box version; but lots of people didn't figure it out.

"Or it's blatently obvious you are being railroaded and nothing you do matters anyway."

Sounds like KOTOR2 which did it ten times as worse as KOTOR1 and even worse than the OC.

There was no plot twist in KotOR 2. How can there be a poor one when there isn't one. Even Chris A. himself said that there was no plot twist in KotOR 2. If you saw a plot twist in the game where is it?

Also I didn't say Valsharess betrayed the PC. All I said there was betrayal involved in HotU's story. Mistie betraying the Valsharess for one. Besides, Valsharess was the percieved MBG for the majority of the game so I place her in that catagory even if you do not.

As for Jade Empire, I don't care if it is M rated or not. I think Developers and Publishers are hung up on these ratings way too much. They should just tell the story as realistically as possible and let the ESRB worry about the ratings.

The whole Revan thing was obvious, if you examined all the clues given to you. You would have to be a blind uneducated adolecent not to see the "You Are Revan" twist by the time you left Dantooine.

"The whole Revan thing in KOTOR"

Wrong. This was well done. Sure, you may thinnk you knwo; but it's not factual. Seriosuly, I never got the chance to figure out of myself due to spoilers from the x-box version; but lots of people didn't figure it out.

Sounds like KOTOR2 which did it ten times as worse as KOTOR1 and even worse than the OC.

KOTOR wasnt any different to NwN in it's obviousness. On Kyyshayyk (or however the furballs spell it) the computer gives away the fact you are Revan in a totally obvious manner. Then you get to play dumb until the leviathon , just like you get to play dumb until the ritual in NwN.

If you say so. :devil:"

Regardless JE is still going on the rental list until the story passes inspection.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Like I said, Bioware likes to insult their players' intelligence while Obsidian did not.

There was no plot twist in KotOR 2.

There were poorly written and executed plot twists in NWN and KotOR 1.

I so want to say "So freaking what" to Malak when he told me I was Revan. I so wanted to say that "I already knew that, dumbass. Sith lord? Sith dumbass."

:devil:

A good story demands atleast some railroading to properly immerse the player.

but noone can deny that KoTOR is kid's stuff compared to K2

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

There was a plot twist in KOTOR2. It was just poorly handled. Even worse than the other two games.

"KOTOR wasn't any different to NwN in it's obviousness."

This is where I know you are just pulling your usual stunt.

"I think Developers and Publishers are hung up on these ratings way too much. They should just tell the story as realistically as possible and let the ESRB worry about the ratings."

Ummm.. That's exactly how BIO handled JE's rating...

"All I said there was betrayal involved in HotU's story."

Every RPG I have *ever* played has had betrayal. Every single one.

"but noone can deny that KoTOR is kid's stuff compared to K2"

Wrong. Only a troll would claim such a thing as thinga s you did. :devil:

Okay, where was the plot twist in KotOR 2, Volourn? Oh, don't say Kreia's betrayal because that wasn't a plot twist for Obsidian made no effort to hide the fact that she was going to betray you. The designers of tha game have stated that it wasn't a plot twist.