Just got Gothic II

Now Im level 19, just finished the mining quests and finally I feel like my characters is on par with the toughness of the enemies.. the smaller ones, that is... I still get pwnd bigtime by all teh 1337 orks

..just the fact that all we talk about is the combat, makes you think about how boring and generic the story is.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Now Im level 19, just finished the mining quests and finally I feel like my characters is on par with the toughness of the enemies.. the smaller ones, that is... I still get pwnd bigtime by all teh 1337 orks

..just the fact that all we talk about is the combat, makes you think about how boring and generic the story is.

Or its because you get stuck with the combat, not the story.

Man, at least you are playing the game -- giving it a shot. That's more than I can say for a bunch of people who didn't even try to learn the controls (they aren't THAT big a deal) and just gave up.

This one guy who reviewed it at GameSpy gave it 2 stars. And his review was full of such misinformation that you knew he didn't even play it past chapter 1. IN fact, I doubt he even got that far in Ch. 1.

This one guy who reviewed it at GameSpy gave it 2 stars.  And his review was full of such misinformation that you knew he didn't even play it past chapter 1. IN fact, I doubt he even got that far in Ch. 1.

Haha, I use that review as my "worst review ever"-example, everytime the subject pops up in a discussion. It's so apparent he never played the game. He almost sounded like Volourn did when he tried to claim he played Gothic 2 in another long forgotten thread ;)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

This one guy who reviewed it at GameSpy gave it 2 stars.  And his review was full of such misinformation that you knew he didn't even play it past chapter 1. IN fact, I doubt he even got that far in Ch. 1.

Haha, I use that review as my "worst review ever"-example, everytime the subject pops up in a discussion. It's so apparent he never played the game. He almost sounded like Volourn did when he tried to claim he played Gothic 2 in another long forgotten thread ;)

I must locate this review and read it.

Yea, I just read it. Its pretty bad, but it sadly wasn't as funny as I was hoping.

I did note that all of the pictures that were with the review (those that came at the same date) were of the first three or four hours of gameplay. All of them.

Im amazed how simplistic the game can be. Specificly the "big" quest where you are to prove the smithy innocent. All you do is walk up to the guy who reported him and bribe/bash him so you get his diary and you're done! hooray!

Its quite apparent that the devs prioritised something else than the story, its more of an excuse than a reason so to say.

..AND it promotes cannibalism. "raw meat" from a human enemy? Mmmhh, Im surprised we cant take their "hide" aswell... or spend 5 learning points, so we can make trophies of their ears and fingers. Simply awful!

p.s

and I agree with the gamespy reviewer completely, the advancement pace is much too slow and difficult for us who arent hack n slash master that can juggle potions and spells left and right while fighting off a horde of blacktrolls.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Im amazed how simplistic the game can be. Specificly the "big" quest where you are to prove the smithy innocent. All you do is walk up to the guy who reported him and bribe/bash him so you get his diary and you're done! hooray!

Its quite apparent that the devs prioritised something else than the story, its more of an excuse than a reason so to say.

..AND it promotes cannibalism. "raw meat" from a human enemy? Mmmhh, Im surprised we cant take their "hide" aswell... or spend 5 learning points, so we can make trophies of their ears and fingers. Simply awful!

p.s

and I agree with the gamespy reviewer completely, the advancement pace is much too slow and difficult for us who arent hack n slash master that can juggle potions and spells left and right while fighting off a horde of blacktrolls.

There's only one black troll in the game.

Even with NOTR I rarely used potions. The people you took raw meat off of could have picked it up. Like you did.

You actually advance as fast as most CRPGs.

As for the quest, what did you expect? Quest rarely are all that complicated in RPGs. And nearly all RPGs have a few fetch quest.

1. yes, I was merely making a ludicrous example.

2. perhaps, but I still think the PC is a cannibal

3. you gain levels yes, but its not until your in the 20's before you have a reasonable chance against orcs & so on.

4. it was a major quest yet, you'd think they could have made it a little more exiting than that? I mean Divine Divinity had more varied quests and thats a Diablo clone.

But you say that the expansion is much harder. Now, my version is not the US issue(it comes with a swedish quickstart for example) so Im thinking that maybe its actually different and implements some of that increased difficulty.

I mean, I had no problem with the combat in Bloodlines for example so Im not completely inept.

its not until your in the 20's before you have a reasonable chance against orcs & so on.

In the world of Gothic Orcs are actually supposed to be formidable foes, unlike D&D where they are mere CR 1/2 monsters.

That said, it is entirely possible to take down singled out Orcs (one at a time) by level 10 if you carefully time your swings in order to exploit their reckless combat style.

I liked Gothic 2. At the time I played it, I hadn't been playing games for a few years, and it was by far the most beautiful game I'd ever seen. I liked the fact that I could just about manage the combat, even though I seriously do not do action games. I also thought the fact that you can't just stop in the middle of a battle and drink a potion was very realistic, and it made me think before lunging into battle. Of course, it also made me save my game a lot.

My overriding memory was of luring the orcs one by one into a narrow passage and killing them, because two together was too much for my character. It took hours, but the sense of achievement when finishing it was very nice.

I also remember that it was buggy as hell and when it crashed, it didn't just crash to desktop, it actually restarted the computer.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I kinda got bored after chapter 2,left the old world and never came back.

I'm probably gonna give the game another shot once I get my hands on NOTR.

I really liked the way you meet with most of the main characters from Gothic.

Anyway the first one was much better.

1. yes, I was merely making a ludicrous example.

2. perhaps, but I still think the PC is a cannibal

3. you gain levels yes, but its not until your in the 20's before you have a reasonable chance against orcs & so on.

4. it was a major quest yet, you'd think they could have made it a little more exiting than that? I mean Divine Divinity had more varied quests and thats a Diablo clone.

But you say that the expansion is much harder. Now, my version is not the US issue(it comes with a swedish quickstart for example) so Im thinking that maybe its actually different and implements some of that increased difficulty.

I mean, I had no problem with the combat in Bloodlines for example so Im not completely inept.

No, all of hte versions are the same unless you buy Die Nacht des Raben seperately. Only Gothic II Gold comes with DNDR and you have to install it seperately.

I'm really not sure why you are having difficulty. You should be able to kill orcs at level 15 or so.

one orc, yes.

Too bad they came in groups and makes then far too deady unless we use "cheap" tactics.

That is the problem with Gothic for me, its not the enemies are hard but the game decides to just throw groups at the player that makes combat and exploration too anoying.

drakron.png

one orc, yes.

Too bad they came in groups and makes then far too deady unless we use "cheap" tactics.

That is the problem with Gothic for me, its not the enemies are hard but the game decides to just throw groups at the player that makes combat and exploration too anoying.

By the time you are expected to fight more than one orc at a time, you shouldn't have any problem. Of course, I killed the entire siege on the castle (though I did it one or two orcs at a time).

I'm getting ready to go there now at level 24 with Beliar's Claw and some good armor from Raven's Elite. I bet I get raped.

one orc, yes.

By the time you are expected to fight more than one orc at a time, you shouldn't have any problem. Of course, I killed the entire siege on the castle (though I did it one or two orcs at a time).

I'm getting ready to go there now at level 24 with Beliar's Claw and some good armor from Raven's Elite. I bet I get raped.

Could you post a screenshot of the new armors you can get in Night of the Raven?

And so the "cheap tactics".

I possibly could do the same if I had the patience (once I got anoyed over having to run by 10 orcs just to get in the castel and simply wiped that camp using such a trick) but I dont find that "fun", I dislike such tactics because they are cheap and simply a exploit of the weak AI and pathfinder.

For that I just use cheat codes, less boring.

drakron.png

A feature Im really starting to get mad at is that its impossible to hit or damage enemies with bows and crossbows unless the enemy has spotted you at which point you only be able to squeeze of a shot or two before getting pummeled while trying to get your sword. You can be standing 4 meters from an unsuspecting Scavenger shoting off all your arrows but you wont actually hit until it notices you, at which point a single hit will kill it. Idiotic.

Obviously they did it this way to keep players from being able to snipe at enemies from afar, but I dont see why. They allow exploiting in every other way, almost encourages it as its impossible to take some enmies in a straightforward fight.

A feature Im really starting to get mad at is that its impossible to hit or damage enemies with bows and crossbows unless the enemy has spotted you at which point you only be able to squeeze of a shot or two before getting pummeled while trying to get your sword. You can be standing 4 meters from an unsuspecting Scavenger shoting off all your arrows but you wont actually hit until it notices you, at which point a single hit will kill it. Idiotic.

This is not true. My main tactic in Gothic was to get up on some difficult to get to place and then fire away at unsuspecting enemies below. They will notice you when they get hit (duh!) but they do not need to detect you beforehand. I've used this tactic a billion times.

You are doing something wrong.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

And so the "cheap tactics".

I possibly could do the same if I had the patience (once I got anoyed over having to run by 10 orcs just to get in the castel and simply wiped that camp using such a trick) but I dont find that "fun", I dislike such tactics because they are cheap and simply a exploit of the weak AI and pathfinder.

For that I just use cheat codes, less boring.

Its not cheap tactics, it works. Well, it used too. AI is smarter now. A lot.

Anyway, I did do it one at a time, yes, but that's because I was far, far below the level expected to kill them now.

As to the person who asked, I'll post the armors in a little bit. I got rid of the light bandits armor, though, but that's fine, its not too interesting.

one orc, yes.

Could you post a screenshot of the new armors you can get in Night of the Raven?

Actually, this is easier, mate: http://worldofgothic.com/gothic2/?go=addonruestungen

The new armors are Pirate Armor (non pirates that aren't your friends won't talk to you), Ravens' Armor (which is Raven's Guard's Armor, not his. You can't take his. This armor marks you as a bandit, so kill on site for all non bandit factions), Light Bandits Armor (marks you as bandit) and Circle of Water Armor (this is part of a secret faction, so you shouldn't wear it in towns). There may be more on that list which are new, but I played a mage, so I wouldn't be sure. The ones I listed are all gained through the add-on world or add-on only quest. You get them all through gameplay, except Ravens' Armor, but you get that in an obvious, unlocked chest right before Raven.

This is not true. My main tactic in Gothic was to get up on some difficult to get to place and then fire away at unsuspecting enemies below. They will notice you when they get hit (duh!) but they do not need to detect you beforehand. I've used this tactic a billion times.

You are doing something wrong.

Nope. I have 40% with both Bows and Crossbow, neither does any damage unless the enemy spots you.

Funny, I have 20 with hte crossbow and can kill someone that hasn't noticed me. Sometimes. I can hit them very often with my bow (40 skill), but I only have 24 dex so I can't use a good bow. Crossbows use strength now, so I have one that does 90 damage.