Just got Gothic II

Bottomline, the game was fantastic.

How is this game fantastic?

These are the reasons why this game is horrid.

1: Lame Arse graphics.

2: Horrid control interface.

3: No freaking character creation

4: Impossible combat due to the interface.

5: Boring voice actors.

6: Lame music

7: And for what story I did get out of it for the length I played was pretty damn bad.

How is this game fantastic?

These are the reasons why this game is horrid.

1:  Lame Arse graphics.

2:  Horrid control interface.

3:  No freaking character creation

4:  Impossible combat due to the interface.

5:  Boring voice actors.

6:  Lame music

7:  And for what story I did get out of it for the length I played was pretty damn bad.

But you can get your character to have sex in this game, it even have a FMV for it.

drakron.png

My list of faults would be along the lines of (I have not finished the game yet, bear in mind)

1. Complete lack of originality in every aspect except for the horrid combat system

2. No character creation because they feel its more important to have very ugly rendered video cutscenes instead of scripted ones.

3. Having to grind exp by cutting up small critters like it was a mmorpg

4. The story(see point one)

5. The voice actors (the same ones that Divine Divinity used, where do they find these losers? There must be 1000 brittish amateur theatre groups that could do it 10000 times better)

6. That its a single-player mmorpg

7. The beginning level-up is too slow (Ive played for 15 hours, cheated 3 levels and I still get trashed by bloodflies)

I actually liked the enviromental graphics and music.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I dont think they went to school at all. For instance, the other woman cant pronounce "difficult" words like cursed.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

My list of faults would be along the lines of (I have not finished the game yet, bear in mind)

2. No character creation because they feel its more important to have very ugly rendered video cutscenes instead of scripted ones.

You "create" your character as you play the game. By the guild you choose, what choices you make, how you spend your learning points.

3. Having to grind exp by cutting up small critters like it was a mmorpg

Yes, combat is a big part of the game. But you can also gain expereince by talking to people and doing other non-violent quests. I can tell you have not really gotten under the surface of this game enough.

And going back to combat -- what were you expecting? A comptuer RPG *without* combat? C'mon.... how many have you played where combat was NOT a big factor.

If you really don't like combat then yes, this is the wrong game for you.

6. That its a single-player mmorpg

Again, this quote makes no sense to me. If you are saying that its an MMORPG because most of the experience is obtained from combat, then I'd say .. well.. OK.

Its true, you cannot advance your character without shedding some blood. But there are other things to DO in the game other than kill things. Have you really not tried to talk to EVERYONE (the named characters at least).?

7. The beginning level-up is too slow (Ive played for 15 hours, cheated 3 levels and I still get trashed by bloodflies)

Yes, it is difficult in the beginning. Gothic does not hold your hand. But you can always run away from stuff and come back when you're stronger. Or you can use spell scrolls to defeat things that may be a bit beyond your current ability. But if you EXPLORE enough and really look around, there are plenty of things you can handle at your current level -- not all involving combat. And then you come back and kick some bloodfy ass!!!

I'm really curious how you can spend 15 hours playing and still get trounced by bloodflies. Do you realize that when you level up you get learning points? And that you actually have to go talk to trainers to increase your skills? I'm just making sure you aren't forgetting a major step that could hamper your progress in the game.

I played the game a few hours and yes the voice acting is bad.  These people went tot he William Shatner School of Voice Acting and failed.

if you dont like the game, get over it. there are other games, go find another one instead of trolling this thread to death.

I dont think they went to school at all. For instance, the other woman cant pronounce "difficult" words like cursed.

you're obviously playing some weird version no one else here has seen. the english version works fine and does not have the errors you mentioned.

Ah.. I understand now. No, Gothic doesn't care if you think it's difficult or not. It will throw everything it has in your face anyhow. It IS possible to run into an orc at level 1. I think you just need to head back to the safety of Bioware or some IE-powered game where the tutorials are as long as the main campaign :thumbsup:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You "create" your character as you play the game.  By the guild you choose, what choices you make, how you spend your learning points.

But that doesnt change the fact that Im playing "Dieter, the merry Jerry Adventurer" and not my own character.

I dont know about you, but i find creating my own character a pretty important part of an RPG and NO, distributing points on various statistics is NOT creating a character.

..and if you are stuck with a certain character, why not make him interesting? Make up a good backstory, have him run into people from his past etc(other than the crappy ones with teh ex-cons)? No, lets make him completely blank and pointless.

A lot of people definitely has have that confused. I should explain to them without using large words so that I won't tax their minds so early in the morning. Okay, maybe not tax my mind so freaking early in the morning. Damn buggering cold.

Character Creation starts prior to game play. At this stage you choose your race, gender, assign stats (either points or rolled), assign class and skills (if any), and the general look of the character. Some people go into more detail, rather in PnP or for their own gratification in a CRPG.

There are also two types of Character Development: Rules Base and Story Base. Character Development (Rules Base) is the process of the character "leveling up" and gain experience. He improves skills and abilities that he had at creation or choose a different path if he or she so wished. This is not character creation.

Character Development (Story Base) is the role playing aspects in which your character grows and becomes more knowledgable of the world around him or her and the current situation.

Gothic 2 has no character creation.

A lot of people definitely has have that confused.  I should explain to them without using large words so that I won't tax their minds so early in the morning.  Okay, maybe not tax my mind so freaking early in the morning.  Damn buggering cold.

Character Creation starts prior to game play.  At this stage you choose your race, gender, assign stats (either points or rolled), assign class and skills (if any), and the general look of the character.  Some people go into more detail, rather in PnP or for their own gratification in a CRPG.

There are also two types of Character Development:  Rules Base and Story Base.  Character Development (Rules Base) is the process of the character "leveling up" and gain experience.  He improves skills and abilities that he had at creation or choose a different path if he or she so wished.  This is not character creation.

Character Development (Story Base) is the role playing aspects in which your character grows and becomes more knowledgable of the world around him or her and the current situation. 

Gothic 2 has no character creation.

Correct.

I don't see this as a problem though, for the game.

Something I always wonder about is how regular people stay alive in these generic fantasy worlds. I mean, could you survive in an enviroment where stepping five meters outside your door would get you face-to-face with atleast 3 dangerous, highly-aggressive, man-eating monsters of various origin?

-You look tired, had a rough morning?

-Yeah, was taking the dog for a walk. Everything was going fine, just had to slay 4-5 goblins and some ferocious wolves with my bare hands. But then, this pack of Ogres jumped me and by the time I had killed em all my dog had run off. Had to kill an entire clan of barbarians, two wyrms and a liche before I found him.

-Oh, that's rough. Reminds me of when my wife called me here at work and told me a host of demons had laid siege to the house. I just barely got home, killed off the lesser demons, banished the lord of chaos and back to work again before the 2 o clock meeting.

-Yeah, but that's life I guess.

One thing that always bothers me in almost every CRPG is that at the beginning you'llbe fighting (for example) rats for xp. Then as the game progresses, the enemies become tougher and tougher and you end up fighting dragons. But suddenly, as you enter a new zone, you might be back to fighting rats again, this time 20 levels higher than the first rats! I've mostly seen this phenomenon in online RPG's (fighting level 50 deer in WoW), but also in a lot of single player RPG's.

It disturbs me to meet a deer with higher level than my own character.

Anyway, to those who have Gothic II, I suggest getting NOTR. However, its overly hard, in my opinion. Farmers are stronger than you in it :\ I know Gothic II was too easy, but they went overboard in amping up the difficulty with the expansion.

One thing that always bothers me in almost every CRPG is that at the beginning you'llbe fighting (for example) rats for xp. Then as the game progresses, the enemies become tougher and tougher and you end up fighting dragons. But suddenly, as you enter a new zone, you might be back to fighting rats again, this time 20 levels higher than the first rats! I've mostly seen this phenomenon in online RPG's (fighting level 50 deer in WoW), but also in a lot of single player RPG's.

It disturbs me to meet a deer with higher level than my own character.

Level 46 dock rats in EQ.

There is just something fundametally wrong about a level 46 rat.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

mkreku, have you ever saw a deer pissed off?  I have and a buck can do serious damage to a hunter with its horns.  A female deer also has powerful legs that can do serious kicking damage.  You kill a deer from a distance.

I think you have deer mixed up with moose or elk. A deer is about 1 meter high (3 feet) and can weigh up to 100 kg (222 lbs) in extreme cases, but normally around 50-70 kg (111-155 lbs). Deer are also very shy creatures who run away at the slightest provcation.

A moose average weight is 1200 lbs, and there has been a reported case of a 1800 lbs moose once! Also, moose are very aggressive creatures during mating season. One little known fact is that the moose is actually the animal responsible for the most human deaths per year in Canada.. :devil:

Ps. Yes, I have seen both deer and moose. We have deer at my grandmother's house every winter, and the hunting tradition is very strong in our family.