Just got Gothic II

It still seems picky. Is it just me who goes easy on translated games or something? I mean I've played some with bad translation, but as long as you get the idea of what they are trying to convey I've never really seen it as a problem.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I have played Gothic 2 3  times (each with a different "guild")  and have NEVER seen this parctular line of dialogue  In fact, I can't recall any conversation where someone offers to sell you a "magic sword". So my guess is that you just made that line up to  give people and idea of the quality of the translations.

yuo are correct, sir.

I cheated myself up two levels and the game is more enjoyable now since Im on par with the current level of opposition. Some people like grinding exp, I hate it so I took a shortcut.

Anyway, its a bad RPG but enjoyable nontheless. The graphics play a large part in that enjoyability, if this game had been isometric 2D I would have uninstalled it by now.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I found quite a few things about Gothic 2 laughable . One of those being the twangy and horrible red neckish sounding Texan voices. Not to mention the sex scene, the dialogue I've encountered or the written aspect has been fairly decent minus the odd screw up with various translations.

I however did encounter a grindeing period and level gap various times amongst my previous play. Which I ended up getting to some seiged castle where the orcs and everything else would rip me apart.

It's not a great game however it does have a charm to it though I never got beat the game I admit I simply did not have the patients for it however I did like the fairly large world in which your allowed to explore.

I however did  encounter a grindeing period  and level  gap various times amongst my  previous  play. Which I ended up getting to some  seiged castle where the orcs and everything else would rip me apart.

Actually if you are referring to your trip to the castle in Chapter 2, then you are encouraged to avoid those orcs, not fight them. There is a definite path you can follow in which you can avoid fights and still enter the castle.

You mentioned the exploring as being a positive aspect. To me, this is what puts GOthic ahead of so many other games. Becusae there are very few story-based games out there that also have big, 3-D worlds to explore.

I however did  encounter a grindeing period  and level  gap various times amongst my  previous  play. Which I ended up getting to some  seiged castle where the orcs and everything else would rip me apart.

Actually if you are referring to your trip to the castle in Chapter 2, then you are encouraged to avoid those orcs, not fight them. There is a definite path you can follow in which you can avoid fights and still enter the castle.

You mentioned the exploring as being a positive aspect. To me, this is what puts GOthic ahead of so many other games. Becusae there are very few story-based games out there that also have big, 3-D worlds to explore.

The exploreing aspect of the game was lovely be it through the greenier to the swamps and beautiful lakes and water fall's to the snow capped valley of mines. There was quite a bit to see.

Yes this is true that you are supposed to avoid conflict. Or it's suggested, I did make it into the castle. Where the dragon there after attacked, however when it came to escapeing the castle. And going to the three mines, That I fear is truely where my journey ended.

I also liked how the paladin's in the gothic world setting did not seem so sugar coated and reltively were flawed especially the farmer's rebellion which I did find mildly intriguieing.

Also why I tried gothic 2 was because I had never tried a Germen or Russian roleplaying game and thought it would be a unique and fun experiance to try out somthing new and I had heard it was quite popular in Europ. And I'm happy I gave it a try.

You mentioned the exploring as being a positive aspect.  To me, this is what puts GOthic ahead of so many other games.  Becusae there are very few story-based games out there that also have big, 3-D worlds to explore.

Wizardry 8, Morrowind, Divine Divinity (which is not 3D), etc

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

You mentioned the exploring as being a positive aspect.  To me, this is what puts GOthic ahead of so many other games.  Becusae there are very few story-based games out there that also have big, 3-D worlds to explore.

Wizardry 8, Morrowind, Divine Divinity (which is not 3D), etc? Anyway I could probably go on, but these were all released around the same time as Gothic II, give or take a year. All have huge worlds and all were extremely non-linear. Gothic is not unique in this aspect.

But I will give you there are only a few nowadays. Linear storylines which Bioware, Dungeon Siege and historically BIS were doing for it?s IWD series seems to be more popular these days. Or when you do get a non-linear game it?s usually not that large.

I actually cleared the orcs out from teh castle when I arrived. All of them. It took a while, and several rest to regen mana (I was a mage), but I did it.

This time when I go through with a merc once NOTR arrives, I don't know if I'll be able to do it. Apparently the game is 10x harder this time, so it should be as challenging as the first.

Morrowind

Oh, PLEASE, spare me! Morr's world is DEAD, filled with hyper-text documented NPCs, or, rather, NLC - non-living characters.

Gothic's main strength lies in its live and dynamic world. The exploration aspect is truly da best i've ever saw. Yeah, sure, Morr had much bigger world-map, but it was all the same all the way.

About voice-acting:

ya'know, you guys should consider trying the original German voice-over. It sure is good, although there are still not enough actors. But those that are - they really do their job well.

And hey: translation voice-overs have 90% chance of being MUCH worse than the original. Just like in the movies. And yeah, I really did not like the main character's actor in English version.

Note: I've played Gothic 1 in English version, and Gothic 2 in pure germa (with russian and english translation patches (one at a time)).

Which I ended up getting to some seiged castle where the orcs and everything else would rip me apart.

If you have the expansion, I recommend exploring Horinis and Jarkendar thouroughly at the beginning (well, to the extent of your abilities, of course), and only then move to Minental.

That way, I just came there and destroyed every single orc outside the castle, luring them in small groups. It is great fun fighting with more than 2 - very challenging and fun, esp. if they are elite.

I really liked the combat, as I said before. Although, it could use a bit of improvement. I hope, Gothic 3 will buff it up.

Again, in my book, Gothic's combat beats Morrowind's easily. Morr's combat was stupid. They implemented the dice rolls, which were ABSOLUTELY out of place there. So there was no fun in swordfighting - you just press the button and watch your character wank with his sword over and over. NO movement, no strafing, no tactics nothing.

ON Gothic's story: it was good. I can't say it's marvellous, but it surely deserves some praise.

And Gothic 1 was just GREAT. Again, I already explained in my prev. post.

So, overall, the game is sure a pearl among many pebbles of her contermporaries.

And there's a nice surprise at the end of Gothic II for you  :thumbsup:

I actually liked the story. And I don't see the problem with being a mage from the get go. If you are used to being a spell caster in ANY action oriented game, you are used to the careful hit and run strategies at the beginning. And you get to enjoy the strong powers at the end:

"La-la-la, look at me! Gods die where I walk! In dozens!"

Ahh, sweet Rain of Fire.

In the expansion pack the game becomes much more difficult and it costs like 40 mana to cast anything. Training costs increase the more train so the most you can get is about 190 mana.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

well a man is entitled to his opinions just as everyone else .. besides he wasn't calling you anything nasty for liking the game .. so I don't see why this is a problem? you love it, he hates it .. eqilibrium achieved on a grand scale ..

Fortune favors the bald.

well a man is entitled to his opinions just as everyone else .. besides he wasn't calling you anything nasty for liking the game .. so I don't see why this is a problem? you love it, he hates it .. eqilibrium achieved on a grand scale ..

It's fine if you write it once or twice. But entering every thread on a forum saying the same thing gets old. Try doing a search for Hades posts containing the word Gothic..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Gothic is a good game, the controls might be a bit wonky but you get used to them faster than you might think. Hopefully Johnwood gets their thumbs out of their collective arses and releases the expansion disc outside of Germany.

For those who don?t already know, you can buy the German

?The Night of The Raven? expansion/add-on and install it for use

in an English version game.

Yes, it is a pain and you?ll have to read text, but it?ll allow you to play the expansion.

See this link: http://www.worldofgothic.com/gothic2/?go=addoninstall

Tsel :blink:

And the German in it is (mostly) simple, so if you've taken any in a school, you may understand it anyway.

I still reccomend the mod though, its well done and very accurate.

For those who don?t already know, you can buy the German

?The Night of The Raven? expansion/add-on and install it for use

in an English version game.

Yes, it is a pain and you?ll have to read text, but it?ll allow you to play the expansion.

See this link: http://www.worldofgothic.com/gothic2/?go=addoninstall

Tsel :blink:

And the German in it is (mostly) simple, so if you've taken any in a school, you may understand it anyway.

I still reccomend the mod though, its well done and very accurate.

I can vouch for this as well. I've played the expalsion with the translation mod and had a blast.