Just got Gothic II

Actually I didn't make up my mind til after I started playing it because I had no clue what the game was like.  So there goes that lil' theory.  Nice try, but no dice.

Then its good I wasn't talking to you at all.

I was talking to the one who made the thread. I gave no indication I was speaking to you at all.

Usually it is a good idea to use names to direct conversations in order such misdirections do not happen, Tanuvein.  Since I was the last one who was stating his displeasure about the games it seemed you comment was aimed at me.

Not at all, or I would have quoted you to show that I was addressing you. You may have been the last person to post displeasure about it, but none of my points did anything but indicate that I was talking to the thread starter, since I only mentioned things he or she brought up. Its not like my response immediately followed yours.

Gothic 2 doesn't have bad grammar. But Kaftan is looking for things to complain about, and YES, there are a few typos in the game. Thing is, you can find the exact same thing in whatever game you play. Even KotOR2 has a few sentences where words are missing! The general quality of the language in Gothic 2 is good, although the voice actors (all three of them, doing 50 voices!) aren't doing a very good job.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I didnt like the voice actor for Diego in Gothic II. Was it two different actors?

I think so. I read somewhere that the original actor had moved to Canada and could not be found! :-

Not sure how much truth lies in those rumours though.

First I want to say that one could argue that by starting to play a game with no good expectations, it can only go upwards from there. Despite the flaws, its fun to play. But that doesnt make it a good RPG.

As for the grammar, I will give the following examples:

from intro "...the barrier but he paid a high price for it" This is minor but you DO NOT add "for it" to sentences like that. Its just bad english.

I dont remeber much more of what they say in-game but Ill take some examples from the manual to give you an idea

"Massive fully lush 3D enviroment to explore"

"Numerous ways to achieve quests giving huge replay value"

"Storyline continuing from the adventures of the first game game yet able to be played.."

Whoever tranlated this game wasnt exactly an A student. But this isnt really important, its just annoying and typical of that ilk of euro developers. What is REALLY annoying though, is that the voiceactor for the PC apparently has no idea of the context of his lines

This far in the game, I fully agree with Hades opinion.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Gothic 3 is going to be out in Germany around late 2005 or early 2006. From what I have heard so far it will be fantastic. Your going to the mainland there will be multiple towns.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

which version are you playing? is it even an english version? it would be best actually to play the game with good expectations (not over hyped but expecting at least a decent game) but no expectations would be better than "no good expectations". if you have bad expectations then you're just looking to justify them.

from intro "...the barrier but he paid a high price for it" This is minor but you DO NOT add "for it" to sentences like that. Its just bad english.

perfect example of what you're doing. these are not masters of the english language, they are convicts and magicians. if they had any kind of schooling at all it would have been home schooling by someone who was also homeschooled if even schooled. most likely they just picked up the language by hearing others use it. an argument about grammer would probably end in one of the 2 being killed or close to it.

jowood is releasing expansion in a couple foriegn languages with english voices. they said they wanted to do a european english release so if they already have the voices they probably have a good chance of being able to do it.

The expansion pack really improves the overall gameplay. New quests and dialogues are introduced and many old ones are expanded.

I suspect that some people are disappointed by Gothic because they expect an RPG, which it clearly is not. It is a well-made action-adventure game with beatiful graphics and an unoriginal yet decent story and the most immersive world since Ultima VII. In my opinion Piranha Bytes employes some of the best worldbuilders worldwide. I have never seen such attention to detail when it comes to graphics. Gothic II (along with Wow although I have not played it myself) is the best proof that you don't need the latest CGI gadgets to make breathtaking graphics.

Actually, I am somewhat worried about Gothic III. I read the JoWooD, the publisher, intends to rush the game for Christmas to make their shareholders happy. This would be highly unfortunate, since Gothic II was already buggy and incomplete upon release, and I deem it only complete with the expansion pack. I am really sorry for all the non-german owners who miss all the new content.

First of all, there are many examples of FAR WORSE English translations than the Gothic series. Gothic I had a nearly perfect translation and the voice acting was quite good. Gothic II is less stellar, but still has a mostly competant English version and acceptable voice acting.

and the grammar.. "I sell magic sword, do you want I show you it?"

I have played Gothic 2 3 times (each with a different "guild") and have NEVER seen this parctular line of dialogue In fact, I can't recall any conversation where someone offers to sell you a "magic sword". So my guess is that you just made that line up to give people and idea of the quality of the translations.

But I am here to tell people that as a native English speaker, I found very few problems with G2's translations. Yes, there are occasional errors but overall it is a decent job and it does not prevent you from getting into the game.

Keep playing the game and I hope Gothic 2 will work its magic on you. The few good points you mentioned about it will amplify themselves and once you start to look under the covers you will find what you "think" is missing. There is so much to do in G2 other than the main plot. Don't rush through it. Explore, talk to people, explore more... When chapters change, go back and talk to people again ... they may have more to say!!!

...And then when you finish, play again as a different guild ( I suggest Mage) and see how the game changes for you. I guarantee the changes are more than superficial.

( oh yeah, and when you get the chance, play Gothic I and the Gothic 2 expansion)

Gothic(numero uno) was better--but if you play awhile you will find the game's strongest point--immersion.

Definitely. :p

If. however, playing as a white male human with above average testosterone levels is not your thing, you may not like it.

I don't understand this comment at all. In both Gothic games the main character is a clean slate. He has no name and his only background is that he is a prisoner. He is voiced in a very neutral, soft-spoken way. On top of this, you are given dialogue choices and decisions to make that allow you to DEFINE how aggresive you want your character to be. So I don't get the whole "above average testosterone levels" comment at all.

as far as i know, there is no story but i find the inane English part of the charm of the german/belgian games...

Of course there is a story. Yes, on the surface it appears to be the standard "Kill the evil dragons" thing, but its the DETAILS of how this story unfolds that pulls you in. Once you get into the motivations of the factions, the backstories of the characters you meet and so on .. you don't worry so much that the "MACRO" story isn't innovative.

There are no magic swords in the game as far as I recall. The only ones you can get in the non-expansion version have to be made - the Holy Executioner and the Magic Ore Dragon Slayer. (Magical like +1 enchanted damage, or flaming).

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

And there's a nice surprise at the end of Gothic II for you :p

I actually liked the story. And I don't see the problem with being a mage from the get go. If you are used to being a spell caster in ANY action oriented game, you are used to the careful hit and run strategies at the beginning. And you get to enjoy the strong powers at the end:

"La-la-la, look at me! Gods die where I walk! In dozens!"

Ahh, sweet Rain of Fire.

First of all, there are many examples of FAR WORSE English translations than the Gothic series.  Gothic I had a nearly perfect translation and the voice acting was quite good. Gothic II is less stellar, but still has a mostly competant English version  and acceptable voice acting.

and the grammar.. "I sell magic sword, do you want I show you it?"

I have played Gothic 2 3 times (each with a different "guild") and have NEVER seen this parctular line of dialogue In fact, I can't recall any conversation where someone offers to sell you a "magic sword". So my guess is that you just made that line up to give people and idea of the quality of the translations.

I wasn't going to comment on this originally because it's a while since I have played G2 -- but I don't remember this line or anything as poorly phrased myself. The inflections and timing in the voiceacting wasn't great but the text was quite reasonable - spelling errors in KotOR2, VtM: Blooldlines and even FFv3R have been more obvious to me.

So, where is this line?

That line doesn't exist anywhere in the game. He's just making stuff up to try to make the game fit his "expectations in the bottom".