Just got Gothic II

I managed to aquire it for the price of around 5 euro, and Im just now in the process of installing it.

My expectations arent high, from what Ive heard this game is essentially a Morrowind-ish(a game I hated so much I only played it for 1 hour) single-player MMORPG. Its also made by a German studio which isnt exactly a seal of quality storywise. People who like this game also tend to enjoy Divine Divinity, which is another deepdive into the mediocre.

Hmm, what is this? They've mislabeled the CDs. Impressive, I wonder what they've managed to do to the actual game?

But anyway, does anyone have any useful playing tips?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

being a fighter first time through is a little easier .. imo ..

it's a good idea to pratice your fighting skill alot, since it's a little difficult, and you will get severly beaten if you aren't good at it further down the road!

all very obvious I guess .. I thought it was a rather fine game! not great, but ceartinly ok and much better than most other titles out there in the same genre!

Fortune favors the bald.

Well, in the beginning combat will most likely feel pretty awkward. But if you persevere beyond the first impression, and actually manage to understand the basic concept of the player skill + character skill system, you can become fairly good at it. IMO, it was the most engaging combat implementation I ever experienced in a RPG. As for the story, I think it's decent, as long as you don't expect a Torment style epic. Also, it makes more sense if you've played the prequel.

And lastly, a small warning. No matter what kind of character you build, you DO NOT want to join the Mage Guild on your first playthrough. Trust me! <_<

First impressions:

-inane intro with bad english grammar(bloody gerries)

-really thin story

-definite mmorpg feeling

-lots of pointless killing of various critters with the sole purpopuse of grinding exp

-the combat(altough pointless) isnt very difficult or awkward at all IMO, its just basic twitch gaming. Attack, strafe, retreat etc.

But the music and maps are very nice and gives it a really comfy atmosphere. Woods, green grass and blue sky.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Gothic(numero uno) was better--but if you play awhile you will find the game's strongest point--immersion.

If. however, playing as a white male human with above average testosterone levels is not your thing, you may not like it.

as far as i know, there is no story but i find the inane English part of the charm of the german/belgian games...

btw,you forgot to mention how terrible the voice acting was.

It's a bit strange that you are locked to that one character, I cant see any real reason for it other than pure laziness from the devs. And when I think of it, there really is no roleplaying. Its an action/adventure game where you can choose in which order you say what you say.

and the grammar.. "I sell magic sword, do you want I show you it?"

and the grammar.. "I sell magic sword, do you want I show you it?"

Woahh, now that sounds really crappy. I thought the German version was pretty good written (and voice overed), but I feel pity for those who have to bear this crappy translation. Anyway, if you can stand it, I suggest you delve deeper into the game, I know it doesn't appeal at the beginning, but the game has it's qualities (read above: immersion).

Gothic 2 is one of the worse games I played. No significant character creation, hell you cannot even choose gender which is a basic option in most CRPGs. Also the controls of the game sucked big time that I couldn't even coordinate an attack. I mean an intuitive user interface would be nice, you know.

It is a waste of money.

^ well .. yeah .. it actually stinks, but I thought Kaftan should discover that sad fact on his own! :-"

and in light of such depressing news I will try to bring some humor to these boards I will now post an American/'danish/swedish' joke..

An American and a Swede is sitting in a bar when a gorgeous girl walks in..

The American: "Oh my god. what a handsome face"

The Sewde: " N

Fortune favors the bald.

I absolutely loved the Gothic series, and I couldn't stand anything about Morrowind, hated it with a passion.

Combat in the beginning is very slow reacting and hard to get used to. As you develop your skills, the combat tightens up a lot and becomes a heck of a lot better. I like how they handled the leveling up, that you actually had to find teachers to help improve your skills.

There is not much to character creation is my only real beef about the game. Even games like Planescape Torment locked you into 1 character also. But once you get past that, the game is a blast.

There's really not much point to play Gothic 2 before playing the first one. Most of the charm is lost when none of the names/persons/locations ring a bell. It's incredible how comfortable it can feel to meet your old gang again after all the mess you've been through. The game also has a rather immersive world to explore. None of that Morrowind "robot-NPCs"-stuff, here it's all about gaming experience. Too bad the combat, and ultimately the whole "chosen one"-storyline stinks.

Still one of my favorite CRPG - series.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

[offtopic]
The Swede: " N

One thing about CRPGs is that I must feel like I am playing my character and not the developers. I always make my characters in PnP and that should be true in CRPGs. I have no interest in playing someone else's character because I don't know their history, their personality, and so on. It was one of the major flaws in PS:T but as the game went on I did feel like I was playing my character due to all the options it gave during play. That was not the case in Gothic 2.

Actually, the protagonist of Gothic2 is not really that predefined... he is just your PC from Gothic1, and so his history is naturally based on the events which you have experianced in the prequel.

There is nothing strictly predetermined beyond that.

I liked both Gothic 1 and 2. They were fun games, and I spent many hours in to the wee morning playing them. I didn't really think the English was that bad...at least not a great deal of glaring errors that I can remember. The only part I didn't like about G2 was the easiness of the 'big threat(s)' in the game.

And yes, play Gothic before Gothic 2. Everything will make much more sense.

*waiting for Gothic 3*

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Now Ive managed to screw up their brilliant freeform way of designing the campaign. All the idiotic quest are basicly about slaying different monsters of increasing difficulty who so the PC wont get ahead of himself. Now, I hate grinding so I just lured the monsters to the city and let the guards hack em, thereby advancing to chapter 2 with only a level 3 character. But that just comes with the territory I guess.

And this game wins the "single-player mmorpg" catgory without doubt. Everything reeks of moorpg-ness from the quests(bring X remains of critter Y to me and Ill give you Z gold and let you join my guild) to the look and design of things. Its like they made this to show future investers what a brilliant Everquest-clone they could make if they were only given the funds.

..but its quite fascinating they took the time to make a rendered intercourse cinematic. strangely, the guy remains fully clothed the whole scene.

whether or not you like the game depends on how you play it. from the sound of your posts, this game is not for you. i'm not sure which version you have but i never got any replies with grammer as bad as what you quoted. i consider gothic 1 probably the best pc game ever made or at least in the top 5.

You were so prejudiced when you started this game, it didn't matter what the game offered. If you only play agame to "confirm" how bad you think it is, then of course all you're going to find is faults. And that's a very dumb way to play your games or live your life.

Gothic/Gothic 2 are two of the most immersive RPG's I've ever played. They're not perfect by any means, but they offer good stories, great worlds and lots and lots to do, see and experience. To even compare them to a MMORPG is just a good example of what you expected beforehand and not what you actually found.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Gothic is great, its even better with the Expansion pack. But the Expansion increases the difficulty level by like ten fold, I found beating the end boss next to impossible. The game definitely depends on how long you play it, if you can get pass how slow it is in the beginning it becomes incredibly addictive.

The Guild system is one of the central points of the game what Guild you join determines your class, sub-plots and items. The quests are quite varied, for example you can join the thieves in Khorinis, help them out, or rat them out to the militia. There is general amount of freedom. The really annoying guy in the bar called Valentino, wait late at night when he is leaving, while hes going back home beat the **** out of him take his ring and you can go back to the bar owner and give it to him.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Gothic I and II are indeed some of the best CRPGs out there. Wonderful series. Like others said, you should play the first one before that. Also, sadly, you had already made your mind up that you wouldn't like it before you played. That's a shame, because you are really missing out.

As for grammar, that's odd. I have the US release and tehre are no major problems with the grammar. The story is solid, theres lots to do and explore, and its simply fun.

I played both through as a mage, the first time, though when I bought Die Nacht des Raben and used the translation mod, I went with Lee, which is what I did on Gothic the second time through. Good to stick with your old buddies from the first game, after all. Me and Gorn had some good times in that mine, we did.