useless magic... er... force powers?

i'm playing as jedi consular/jedi master

fighting skills aren't powerful and i trying to compensate them with my magic skills

so i leveled my Wisdom and Charisma as much as i can

but then i came to Korriban at 25th level all Sith have saves nearly "+30 base +30 mod" (60-70 bonus total)

i've checked some f.a.q.'s and found that 20th level characters can have only +12 base save roll modifiers

does it mean my enemies are 60th level? and where they get mod that high? or i have a bug here?

i have 60DC maximum for most powers (except Plague)

that means my magic skills are -nothing-, i'm not a mage :wub:

i'm playing as jedi consular/jedi master

fighting skills aren't powerful and i trying to compensate them with my magic skills

so i leveled my Wisdom and Charisma as much as i can

but then i came to Korriban at 25th level all Sith have saves nearly "+30 base +30 mod" (60-70 bonus total)

i've checked some f.a.q.'s and found that 20th level characters can have only +12 base save roll modifiers

does it mean my enemies are 60th level? and where they get mod that high? or i have a bug here?

i have 60DC maximum for most powers (except Plague)

that means my magic skills are -nothing-, i'm not a mage :)

I believe it's intentional rather than a bug. It's not just the Sith Assassins, it's the same in the Tomb. Many of your non-beast opponents there have saves near 100, while you seem to suffer a massive save penalty that doesn't show up on the Character info screen when something requiring a save is used against you. My character was thrown around like a ragdoll in a fight where one of the opponents used that disruptor rifle with a DC14 Knockback effect.

I suppose it's meant to indicate that the dark side is strong on Korriban and boosts the might of darksiders. Makes no sense if your own character is a darksider too though, and is a pretty evil thing to do to consulars, since melee-based characters suffer little penalties there.

Made me annoyed enough to hack the force powers script to grant a save DC bonus equal to their save mod bonus while on Korriban. :)

This only trouble the jedi... we sith lords have force powers that wreak havoc on those that oppose us.. The damage is so massive that it dosen't matter if they make a saving throw..

Join the darkside... you will be pleased to see what consulars (sith lords) can do to those pesky little cretins.. :thumbsup:

Or simply that Obisidian cheated with the attributes of you foes :thumbsup:

Kreia has 60 of wisdom in the final Battle. O_o

You are more right than you know.

Check the PC Techical Help Forum for a thread called "Traya is Cheating on Us" and it demonstrates this with an actual screen shot of the combat rolls.

I've asked a Modder about this (Chibajoe) and he doesn't think it is a problem... And it isn't for 90% of the game -- A Counselor/Mage can wipe the floor with opponents with WIS and CHAR at 14 or above... But this is because they are all low-level opponents...

Except the Kinrath in the Crystal Cave and the end Boss battles at the Trayus Academy where using Force Powers is almost useless unless you have Force Crush (DS) or Fore Lighting (LS) because the AI saves almost every other offensive force power making them useless.

Well, a LSer can always just spam Force Wave until everything dies. You should have enough FP for it. And consulars aren't all that bad in melee unless you're playing with a balance mod that puts their BAB to where it should be -- Obsidian gave all classes equal BAB (bad idea, but in this instance it helps). Provided you took melee powers and feats, of course.

Korriban's a bit difficult, since there's that section where you can't regenerate FP. I got through via melee with my consular/Watchman, but I had to expend a fair amount of shields and medpacks to do it.

Korriban's a bit difficult, since there's that section where you can't regenerate FP. I got through via melee with my consular/Watchman, but I had to expend a fair amount of shields and medpacks to do it.

Would that part work with the "meditation" you can learn to do with T3 (which allegedly restores your force points when not in combat) ?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Would that part work with the "meditation" you can learn to do with T3 (which allegedly restores your force points when not in combat) ?

No you have to enter alone.

Ehh, yeah. Forgot that part :thumbsup:

Damn, finally spotting a use for that feature and you can't drag the droid along :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I am still trying to decide how to play through because of just this issue.

My first time through, force powers would rarely stick on anything except the weakest opponents. I found this very frustrating and a little confusing because of my higher wis.

For a lightside character, what level of WIS/CHA is required to make your offensive force powers work often (DS lightning, etc.)?

I am still trying to decide how to play through because of just this issue.

Just roll with the punches. Energy shields, med packs and strength boosters can work wonders, especially when you also remember to switch the battle stances and aren't afraid to do some running around, to break enemies in smaller groups or simply to heal... even if you didn't bother to metagame your character, and your skills are nothing to talk about :">

Tmp wrote: Just roll with the punches. Energy shields, med packs and strength boosters can work wonders

Thank you for the reply, Tmp. I did not explain myself well enough. I was getting frustrated with force powers not landing. The bad guys saved very often even with my high Wis.

I was asking what level Wis/Cha is high enough to avoid the enemy saving often >_<

As an example, I just stopped using Force Kill, because the enemy saved so often that it was a waste. I would cast it many times in succession and it would not stick. I played light side, so maybe that had something to do with it. Though, I thought it would only make the power more expensive and not less effective.

At Trayus, my Force powers worked just fine. Granted, my WIS was 32. I was a Guardian/Weaponmaster with LS mastery. I could stun a whole platoon of commandos with Stasis field or Force wave. Even the Maruaders and Sith Knights failed their saves often enough.

I think there are a couple of issues going on here:

1) The game is imbalanced. I think a good 90% of the gamers here will attest to that.

However, what is interesting is the way it is percieved as imbalanced.

For example, most of the complaints are it is too easy. I agree with this to a point. Others say the game actually is to hard at parts when it shouldn't be. I also agree with this as well. For example, the Kinrath in the Crystal Caves ALWAYS save. Now, maybe their spieces is supposed to be immune to Force Powers because they live in the Cave. Okay, I can accept that.

However, there will be other times when you are fighting what should be low-level creatures and opponents whom you should be easily able to wipe the floor with if you are properly leveling up the attributes of your characters according to the type (class) of player you are using... And it takes forever (I've experienced times when my character(s) will miss 4 out of 5 hits even if they have high Dex and high Strength and a ton of item modifiers).

I think this is just a case of the game being rushed and not QA tested for balance (vs. glitches and bugs).

2) As far as the Conselor class...

The whole idea is that you can use your Force Powers (aka Magic) to keep your opponents from ever laying a finger on you.... At least, in theory.

Where this falls apart of course, is during the actual game wher five guys with Vibroblades are ganging up on you and you have low Dex and Strength, but high Wis and Char. Well... They ARE going to "hack you up" a lot quicker because the hit modifiers for their Dex and Strength are much higher, making you easier to hit and do damage on.

However, again, the whole point of being a Force Master is to supposedly stop them from even getting the chance to start whailing on you by using Force Wave, Kill, Drain, etc.

So, my point in all of this?

If you are going to be a Conselor, don't always rely on your FP.

Put some points into Dex so you are harder to hit. Add that with item modifiers and hopefully good Constitution and Treat Injury (and Force Heal if LS) and you should do fine than just concentrating soley on Wis and Char which I think a lot of Conselor players do in my opinion.

I was asking what level Wis/Cha is high enough to avoid the enemy saving often :ermm:

Ahh ^_^ I have no clue then, was on purpose keeping my force-related skills quite low, so it'd fit the idea of character that was put of touch with force for years and only now re-learns it... she had charisma at 14 or a bit more being a born leader and whatnot, but it alone definitely wasn't enough for me to use the force powers with much success. :">