Non-american working in the US.

Oerwinde

Heres a question for Feargus or someone else in the higher levels of OE. How would a non-american, Canadian specifically, go about getting a job in an american company? I've heard its really hard and the recruiters that came to VFS pretty much didn't bother with anyone who didn't have US citizenship or a university degree.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It's kind of tough, since you need to get a Visa and that costs money. Some people go with a TN which is easier in some ways, but more strict when it comes to what sort of education you have as compared to an H1B which is harder to get but more lax in the requirements - if that makes any sense.

Companies will hire Canadians, however if they have to pay $3K to $5K just to get you a Visa then they question why they shouldn't just hire someone who they don't have to pay that for.

In Obsidian's case, we tend to shy away from it mostly because we are in Orange County, California. There are so many people in the area that make games, we can usually find someone local to come work for us. That means we don't have to pay for interviewing, re-location or Visas. For a more Senior Level person, that could mean saving something like $10K or $15K per new hire.

Feargus Urquhart

CEO

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

There are a lot of good gaming companies in Canada as well (like Bioware). You could try your luck in some of those corporations.

Yeah, I know. I'm in Vancouver at the moment, and pretty much everyone here makes sports games except Relic. I really don't care where I start, I just eventually want to get into making RPGs, and the pickings for that sort of thing is pretty small up here. Bioware is pretty much it.

And Thanks Feargus.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg