Star Wars vs. RPG

When playing Kotor I or II, are you more of a Star Wars fan or an RPG fan?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. When playing Kotor I or II, are you more of a Star Wars fan or an RPG fan?

• SW: I'm a fan of Star Wars and play Kotor for that reason.
    • RPG: I'm a fan of RPG's and that's why I play Kotor.
    • Both: I'm a fan of both and Kotor is the perfect unity of that.
    • Other: Please reply and explain why!

I'm fan of both.

Star Wars - I really like Star Wars universe, even more than the movies. Star Wars is really nice mix between traditional scifi and fantasy. World is full of interesting events and filled with rich history.

KotOR - I dislike or sometimes even hate d20 system but because of interesting world and timeline, I tolerate it. Also dull and small maps annoy me.

When I read reviews or message boards about some game, I look for following issues (and how I generally rank issues).

Story - indifferent

Writing - very important

World - vital

Rule system - important

Combat system - important

Graphics - mildly important

Engine features - very important

PoV - indifferent

Development house - mildly important

Publisher - important

Single/multi/MMOG - vital

Bug free - mildly important

Difficulty setting - very important

Game type - important

KotOR won me over because world (Star Wars), singleplayer game (I like 'em), development house (Bioware/Obsidian), game type (cRPG), writing (only in KotOR II). Against were rule system, combat system, graphics, engine features, bug free, difficulty setting. It was a close call and I almost didn't buy KotOR II because of very easy difficulty setting but CA's good writing won me over.

So, I probably wouldn't buy KotOR type of game if it's set in another world that I find uninteresting. Then again, there are many interesting worlds...

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

RPG fan, and was surprized really at how well the KOTOR universe drew me in, since I am basically indifferent to most of the movies--liked the original, period.

In fact, the aspects of KOTOR i disliked were the cinematics and feeling as if I were in a cartoon at times. But still, a good game.

Very, very much an RPG fan rather than a Star Wars fan.

I've played the pen and paper D6 Star Wars RPG, and most of the Star Wars computer games over the years, but I'm certainly no fanboy. Beyond thinking Phantom Menace was terrible and not bothering to see Attack of the Clones, I think that the original movies are really only mediocre overall. But I didn't watch them as a child, so I have no nostalgia to fall back on. It seems to me, in the original trilogy, the writing and dialogue range from satisfactory to poor, the acting is anywhere from tolerable to terrible, and the special effects have ceased to suffice to make the movie stand out in the present day. Heck, even the cinematography's fairly unimaginative. Only the sound stands out, and that only manages to make the original trilogy the equal of the better hollywood blockbusters of the last 10 years in sound direction, by no means their better. In the history of cinema, I don't think any of the Star Wars movies deserve any sort of place of honour. They put elements of Western and Fantasy in space in a full feature film. That's historically notable, but it doesn't make them great films, in any other terms.