kotor3.com

It needs a new engine, because with a new engine, they will also revamp and streamline the rule-set, which if they add any more to, will become quite unwieldy. It also needs a new engine because, let's face it, it's not the most compatible and stable thing ever devised.

It should get a new engine, just because right or wrong, KotOR 2 was criticized for a lack of graphical improvements, and so it'll make it more marketable. Personally, I just wish they'd had enough time to vary the textures a little more, but that's me.

It's almost certain that Kotor3 will use a new engine. The only question is, which one? There's so many out there right now you're spoiled for choice. An in-house engine is possible but would obviously take much longer to develop than licensing one.

Another thing I'll be happy to see is a physics engine. Imagine using force powers that take advantage of ragdoll physics! That would be amazing to watch. Push a guy against a wall and he'd fall into a crumpled heap, or ricochet off objects and other people! You could even pick things up (using the force) and throw them at your enemies. man, I'm drooling just thinking about that. HL2's gravity gun comes to mind...

Star Wars is a cinematic experience (yes, even when it's an RPG) and deserves a modern engine.

Unreal3 is a good candidate (which Bioware has also licensed). Character models have fantastic detail which is very important in an RPG, since you spend so much time speaking to other people.

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/670/670283/imgs_1.html

Why does KOTOR 3 need a new engine anyway? I like it the way it is. Maybe with a few tweaks but thats all. Who cares if it isn't advanced? Super Mario Bros 3 isn't advanced but people still love it.

I'm inclined to agree. I associate the KotOR engine with the storyline and gameworld now. Making an Unreal3 engine or HL2 engine KotOR would make it feel like a different world.

I would like to see improvements in texture resolution, and the creation of new models and textures, but I don't see that this would necessitate an entirely new engine which changes the feel of the world completely from what we're familiar with.

I like it too. "Everyone" says the engine is so old etc, but that's ridiculous. It's perfectly okay and the "feeling" while playing is great.

But they have to make/use a new engine for part 3, every gaming mag will write otherwise "oh nooo it's so ooold, oh my god!!!" - so there is no choice, not really. Hopefully the "feeling" will stay similar, would be okay then.

Well it could use a new engine for the sole reason to be able to run smoother and without so many problems that have plaugued this one.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

:thumbsup:

i wish we knew for sure if that article was true or not...

http://www.gamedreamz.com/index.cgi?m=stories&s=read&id=2572

bothers me you think if wasn't true lucasarts would say so

Maybe LA thinks it is still too early to announce K3, K2 has been in the market for only one month.

But it would be nice if the game will be announce in this years E3.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

:(

i wish we knew for sure if that article was true or not...

http://www.gamedreamz.com/index.cgi?m=stories&s=read&id=2572

bothers me you think if wasn't true lucasarts would say so

Maybe LA thinks it is still too early to announce K3, K2 has been in the market for only one month.

But it would be nice if the game will be announce in this years E3.

agreed

I'd finish it off with the current engine maybe a few tweaks here and there. Then start fresh for KOTOR IV on the next gen consoles. New engine, new rules etc and a totally different story with no ties to the previous one.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

If they release Kotor 3 with the same engine 18-24 months from now, the magazine reviews will be pretty poor. Many weren't very complimentary about TSL's graphics, but Obsidian just about got away with it because other elements of the game were so strong. Two years down the line, this engine will look dated, and be scored as such. That will hit sales, and the reputation of the franchise.

If Obsidian do Kotor 3, the logical thing would be to reuse the NWN2 engine, but I hope that doesn't encourage LucasArts to think they can set another unrealistic deadline for development. If the in-house LucasArts team takes Kotor 3 up again, maybe they'll develop their own engine - Kotor 2's sales would seem to justify it.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Chris A. Has said several times that, if Obsidian does KotOR III, they will re-do the battlesystem and have a whole package run under a new engine.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

If they release Kotor 3 with the same engine 18-24 months from now, the magazine reviews will be pretty poor.  Many weren't very complimentary about TSL's graphics, but Obsidian just about got away with it because other elements of the game were so strong.  Two years down the line, this engine will look dated, and be scored as such.  That will hit sales, and the reputation of the franchise.

Not on the Xbox. It really depends if KOTOR III is going to be an Xbox or an Xbox II title.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Chris A. Has said several times that, if Obsidian does KotOR III, they will re-do the battlesystem and have a whole package run under a new engine.

Unless LA wants it by the middle of 2006.

478327[/snapback]

Kotor 3 with the Unreal 3 engine. Now THAT would be too cool.

Ummm... No it wouldn't... That would be more like Jedi Knight III.

Technically it would be Dark Forces 5

The Line is Dark Forces, Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

Well is what OE would like to do, I doubt LucasArts would want to change the combat and rule systems since its KotOR III.

Besides OE already shown how much they stand up for publishers, if they do KotOR III they will do exactly as LucasArts wants.

drakron.png

I have to say if they used the HL2 Engine, or at least incorporated the gravity into it, that would be the greatest thing ever.  I mean, we would get force throw!!!

No, it isn't a FPS... It would be really hard to make kotor what it is on the Source engine.

The Line is Dark Forces, Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

Meh, not really... The series changes name every time new titles come out, and every tim the story changes.

EDIT - The trend seems to be DF, DFII, JK, JKII.... God I hope the next one isn't Jedi Academy II, I would buy that :p

Meh, not really... The series changes name every time new titles come out, and every tim the story changes.

EDIT - The trend seems to be DF, DFII, JK, JKII.... God I hope the next one isn't Jedi Academy II, I would buy that :shifty:

As I have been lead to believe it all 4 are actually of the Dark Forces Story Line (Not the books mind you) Although, Jedi Outcast is the Sequel to Jedi Academy. (Makes you wonder why they didn't do Outcast after Academy then)

What the hell are you talking about.

Academy is a sequel to Outcast, after Mysteries of the Sith Kyle turned away from the Force and the only Jedi Kyle trained before Academy was Mara Jade.

Also Dark Forces line ended at Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, all games after it are the Jedi Knight series.

drakron.png

What the hell are you talking about.

Academy is a sequel to Outcast, after Mysteries of the Sith Kyle turned away from the Force and the only Jedi Kyle trained before Academy was Mara Jade.

Also Dark Forces line ended at Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, all games after it are the Jedi Knight series.

LA Forum Moderators posted about Jedi Academy that Jedi Outcast was the sequel to Jedi Academy. They also said that all of the line was a continuation of Dark Forces even though the name had changed. They stated it was the entire story of Kyle Katarn (Although Jedi Academy dumfounded me by having you pick a creat-a-character rather than play Kyle again, but you know about the EU, it is canon)