The Visas Marr Poll

What do you think of Visas after playing the game?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Visas after playing the game?

• Presents a nice variation on Bastila/Juhani female Jedi type.
    • Red silk. Blind. Submissive. Badass. My dreamgirl!
    • I want her to carry my child!
    • Too submissive for my tastes......
    • Bah! She's not even half the woman Bastila was........
    • Ewww...she has no eyes!
    • Too busy fantasizing about the male characters to notice Visas
    • I still can't get over her creepy relationship to Darth Nihilus
    • *daydreams about charging up her entry ramp*
    • OMG! I gots to get Kelly Hu's (VA) phone number and asks her out

Beside Kreia. Visas is the only other char that understand you and who you are.

in her "final big dialogue" she almost explains most, if not all, of the suspended points.

And i think she makes quite clear who you are...

Is a second voice, if you don't trust Kreia she give you a "second option".

Beside Kreia. Visas is the only other char that understand you and who you are.

in her "final big dialogue" she almost explains most, if not all, of the suspended points.

And i think she makes quite clear who you are...

Is a second voice, if you don't trust Kreia she give you a "second option".

I understand that she understands :p , perhaps better than Exile does. I just felt that if she was so easily swayed light-side that as soon as she got close to Nihilous again, I'd at least see some vacillation. Perhaps wishful thinking ... I like character conflict, what can I say...

Ref her final dialogue, did I miss something? Not entirely sure what convo you're talking about.

i'm speaking about the confo just after dant enclave...

there she tells you who you hare, what you represent, why jedi masters feared you and so on...

the lines are not many but they are very important, most of the info she gives probably should be alredy know to the player, as Kreia alredy told you most of it, but still it helps to put makes some light.

(don't want to go too specific for the spoilers, but if you replay the dant enclave and then Visa dialogue paying attention to these things it should be quite clear what i'm referring to :p )

She can't match Bastila.

but she's definetly more intriguing character, I like her more than Bastila, imho the romance with the Visas in the sequal is deeper than the one with Bastila in kotor1, overall Visas seems to me as more complex character than Bastila, more sensual and Bastila's rebelish behaviour is interestin but childish. With Visas it was more convencin.

In all fairness, Bastila is still rather young in KotOR (I think it was determined to be early 20's at most, maybe even below 20). That might account for some of her behavior (and I agree that she's rather childish/girly at times). Visas struck me as somewhat older, perhaps 30 or so. She could've been more interesting, she just wasn't developed enough. Perhaps the romance is deeper, but I got the feeling it only was for Visas. Bastila and Revan had that whole force bond going, which should logically result in a fairly deep relationship.

but she's definetly more intriguing character, I like her more than Bastila, imho the romance with the Visas in the sequal is deeper than the one with Bastila in kotor1, overall Visas seems to me as more complex character than Bastila, more sensual and Bastila's rebelish behaviour is interestin but childish. With Visas it was more convencin.

:(:blink::)

I mostly agree, but i have also to say that IMO the romance is not so developed, i don't want the "final kiss" or something like that, just i had the impression that nothing change between the chars, we don't get any intimity (ehm not fisical one :p) i don't know her better, nor she will know me....

but this is in general for all the romances of TSL

KOTOR had more childish romances with heavy flirts, but overall i found they where more developed and during the romance you got a better understandment of the character.

yup, maybe I just got myself too much into it but I enjoyed it more. She really got me with her story about her ppl and about seein things thru force and so on...

I agree that forcebond is important in Bastila-Revan relationship but don't know, it seamed to me that she's not so much into it like Revan was. but it's just MHO

• 2 weeks later...

I think Visas wasn't so much older as she was more mature. I think she's quite young, but having to deal with what she's had to at such an early age had to make her grow up quick.

As for her being so easily swayed. Think about this: She was taken in as a child and raised harshly. She never knew kindness. She was shown kindness by the Exile. She also saw what Kreia saw -- the wound in the force and how the Exile continued to live and be true to the light side. Having knowledge of the force also helped her know how such wounds are created I guess.

As for the romance bit, factor in what I said before and how it seems like she actually has to concentrate on the Exile while he's infront of her to "see what the Handmaiden" sees and I think it makes it that much stronger. Pretty obvious to see that she already cared for the Exile deeply. Looking on him through the force in that last scene was most likely very intimate for her.

She was weak. Emotionally and psychologically that is. I, in the real world, am not attracted to those who are too weak to be able to stand on their own two feet. I don't like the clingy types that can never let go and live in the past. Those that fear everything, and can't even be clingy in a loyal way (Hi, I'm here to kill you, but now I will serve you!).

Visas disgusted me.

At the same time, I know that there are many who would find such attributes attractive, but I don't need someone clinging to me to remind myself that I am strong. I'm secure enough to know this, thus I am more attracted to those that try to challenge this security and strength.

Not sure if that makes any sense, but I think it boils down to me preferring "Firey" over "Submissive" and not wanting a slave, but an equal.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the way her character is so open to interpretation though... I don't know if it was something deliberatly done by the developers or not, but I beleive beyond the surface she is arguably one of the more complex characters in the game. I think this bloke summed it up very well from my perspective:

By what you see in the game alone, Visas is not a very deep character. A more in-depth (and mostly imaginary, I suspect) analysis produces quite an interesting personality.

It's interesting though, because at the end of the day we are all just ordinary people, but this game drags us in to such an extent that some can almost get caught relating to them like real people, which only proves the power of the human mind. I seem to mention it all the time, but I really loved the character of Visas, largely because of that depth. Sure, there is probably a lighthearted sense of romance in it, but I look at it more as her complexities in the context of the story rather than from a correlation between real life personal relationships and the ingame situation between the exile and visas. Someone else on this forum stated this:

Maybe I'm easy to please, but being able to save Visas from that past, turn her to the light side and give her a new hope for the future was one of the more rewarding moments in the game.

That sums me up. Call me a sucker for a bit of a sob story, but on the surface there wasnt much to her, but as you come to understand (and i admit the progression of the relationship ingame is a bit awry) her character more you see that depending largely on the way you view her, you see the finer points of her situation and character. This is left up to the imagination a bit, so obviously some people wont see past the surface and dismiss her... and thats cool, there are other characters to relate to that can fill her role. but yeah, I dont see it as much as a physical attraction thing as some people have seen it, its just more even though its just a game, if your like me and like to think a lot, and read into things, then you see that her character and your character share a very emotional bond, and there is something special to be gained by setting her free, so to speak.

If you choose the light side, you get the chance to help her face her demons and extinguish her buried hatred, which is all that is binding her to the dark side that was forced upon her. In the game it is obvious that beyond this she also has feelings for your character, but why that is is completely open to speculation from each individual playing the game, but there is no doubt to some of us, throughout the game a sort of special bond was felt between her character and the exile, and im my case it wasnt due to the way she looked (although she has a sort of sexy mysterious thing happening, and her voice is divine), but it was more wrought out of seeing the good in her character and helping to save a good soul, and becoming attached in the process. Her character isnt as headstrong and shielded as lets say, Mira... but I think its interesting that people dismiss her because they relate her to their real personal lives and see her as 'clingy'. From my point of view there is far too much more to her character than to allow for such a simple comparison, as her 'love' for your character isnt as simple as it may seem. She has had her life taken from her, and what remains is passive hatred that was forced upon her, and she knows this... being young at the time she was too weak to have a choice. But as a light side exile, to her you represent everything at the other end of the spectrum.... a being not so unlike her that gives her hope of regaining life, and for that she 'loves you more that she loves herself', to paraphrase. You gave her life hope, and in that your presence gave her the drive to attempt to break away from her master somewhat, giving you that chance to help and bond with her, if you choose to grasp it. The way I experienced it, this bonding shows more traits of an extremely deep-seated loving friendship if you will, rather than a 'clingy' intimate relationship.

I am aware this is a truly huge post, and for that I apologise to those who dislike reading, but I couldn't let the oppurtunity pass to voice my opinion on this wonderful character. I think there is some 'truth' to the way I perceive Visas, but I also think 'perceive' is the key word there, and as such there is so many different ways you can understand her character.

Also, sorry if i seem to have babbled and gone into ridiculous detail on seemingly 'nothing' issues in my time on these forums, but I study human psychology, and being my first RPG game, I find it all incredibly interesting, especially now after finishing the game, and reading here the impact the games have had on you all. I am particularily interested in character relationships both within the game, and the effect of those relationships on you all, and in fact, I am seriously considering making this the primary focus of my major thesis due for submission at the end of this year. The level on which the whole RPG immersion 'phenomenon' (if you will) is occuring is just staggering when you step back and look at it, and it can be a wonderful thing, and to some extent, it would have been unthinkable just 20 years ago, and on a global scale no less!

I would love to keep reading your thoughts on these sorts of character related matters, so everyone be sure to share! There is no shame in admitting these games have an affect on you if you allow them to (not that anyone here suffers from that beleif, im sure!). Its only human >_<

- Dan

Even as an evil darksider, she's hawt. ;)

And of course, she's hot without all the darkside plague-wrinkles on her face, also. ;)

I love how she bluntly says "No" when the smarmy Twi'lek guy is looking for a new dancer for Vogga. ;)

Of course I'm a bit biased, as I love Kelly Hu's segzy voice. :thumbsup:

post-10958-1112555234_thumb.jpg

post-10958-1112555351_thumb.jpg

evil_twin.jpg

Jivin, I think you summed it up perfectly, good job.  Me?  I'd like to think the best about my dear Visas.

Thanks! It's always nice to hear that people share your point of view, even if your an advocate for accepting all the alternatives :)

It seems like there is a lot of people who dont like her character at all, and a lot of others who only like her character because she is 'hawt' (haha), both of which are fine... but it's good to see someone else who thought her character was worthwhile from looking at her on a deeper level also.

I like the way her character is so open to interpretation though...  I don't know if it was something deliberatly done by the developers or not, but I beleive beyond the surface she is arguably one of the more complex characters in the game.  I think this bloke summed it up very well from my perspective:

- Dan

Hey Dan, I need to replay II to refresh certain aspects of it in my mind, esp for Visas. I was more interested in the Disciple/Atton problem and cos I never played Male, I never got to see as much of Visas as the Male players did. Gonna playthrough again soon as LSM, just to find out all I missed from the first time around. I'll let you know once I've done that and formed an opinion on it.

I do remember bringing her along with me on Onderon, and losing influence with her because I chose Queen Talia over Vaklu the ass. I really didn't like that ;)

But I really agree with you on how Obsidian structured the characters in a very interesting way, with the top layer given and the rest left to you to find out or figure out. The influence device made things very frustrating to gain information but it added stunningly to the believability of the characters.

I especially admire the way the writing left a lot of us to figure things out. Look at the numerous posts on this board regarding the story.

It made TSL a thinking game, in a very un-Star Wars style. It has totally reinvented the spirit of Star Wars - in many ways TSL is an extremely sophisticated game for adults, in a way the entire StarWars franchise is a more simple story targetted at a General audience.

I hope Obsidian tries again, with a longer deadline. If Obsidian does KotOR III and it comes out in like 2 years time I really don't mind. I'll be the first one in line to buy it :)

- bluerosy

I like the way her character is so open to interpretation though...  I don't know if it was something deliberatly done by the developers or not, but I beleive beyond the surface she is arguably one of the more complex characters in the game.  I think this bloke summed it up very well from my perspective:

- Dan

Hey Dan, I need to replay II to refresh certain aspects of it in my mind, esp for Visas. I was more interested in the Disciple/Atton problem and cos I never played Male, I never got to see as much of Visas as the Male players did. Gonna playthrough again soon as LSM, just to find out all I missed from the first time around. I'll let you know once I've done that and formed an opinion on it.

I do remember bringing her along with me on Onderon, and losing influence with her because I chose Queen Talia over Vaklu the ass. I really didn't like that :(

But I really agree with you on how Obsidian structured the characters in a very interesting way, with the top layer given and the rest left to you to find out or figure out. The influence device made things very frustrating to gain information but it added stunningly to the believability of the characters.

I especially admire the way the writing left a lot of us to figure things out. Look at the numerous posts on this board regarding the story.

It made TSL a thinking game, in a very un-Star Wars style. It has totally reinvented the spirit of Star Wars - in many ways TSL is an extremely sophisticated game for adults, in a way the entire StarWars franchise is a more simple story targetted at a General audience.

I hope Obsidian tries again, with a longer deadline. If Obsidian does KotOR III and it comes out in like 2 years time I really don't mind. I'll be the first one in line to buy it :ermm:

- bluerosy

Thanks for that, and I agree with your points. I will be interested to hear your opinions once you have replayed the game a male exile, and on the flipside, in time I think it would be worth my while to try it with a female exile... although it might be a tad weird... :-

I do remember bringing her along with me on Onderon, and losing influence with her because I chose Queen Talia over Vaklu the ass. I really didn't like that :ermm:

Interesting... I'm pretty sure I had her with me on Onderon (I took her almost everywhere lol), and I don't remember losing influence on that occasion. I could be mistaken though :(

Thanks again,

- Dan

Interesting... I'm pretty sure I had her with me on Onderon (I took her almost everywhere lol), and I don't remember losing influence on that occasion.  I could be mistaken though :wub:

I *think* that if you simply avoid the conversation between the two funky aliens about preferring either Talia or Vaklu, saying something like "I don't want to get involved," you won't lose Influence with Visas.

evil_twin.jpg