Republic Commando

Anyway Ive got the game and its quite fun, having "Carth" in your party adds a nice touch of nostalgia.

The problem is that Im stuck on Geonosis in the final partlevel when you have a countdown sequence. Im supposed to blast my way through all that, reach the bridge, fiddle with the computer for one whole minute whilst not getting killed and finally escaping on the generous timespan of 5 minutes??!! Its insane! I cant even make it if I rush and only take out the most threatening enemies.

...or does the game remeber what you did before(the timer starts before) you step into the turbolift to the bridge, so Ive painted myself into a corner by wasting time and need to restart the mission?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ah..That part. Took me several tries. When you reach the door before entering and they say you have 2 minutes remaining, you have enough. When you enter, instantly send one of your squad to the control panel while you snipe out all the turrents while sending your squad to plant proximitys on the cylinders. I finished it with 1 second before the explosion. Scared me crapless. I remember my frustration when i reached the end but the counter kept on ticking while they talked for 4 SECONDS.

Yes. Taking the turrets yourself is a must. Make sure you tell your boys to take the sniper positions when they are done with the charges, and remember to use all the grenades you have once you begin to get swarmed by SBDs and droidekas.

Damn, those SBDs didn't seem so tough in the movies.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I think they've beefed them up far to much for the game to be enjoyable. Your average grunt droid or trandoshan can take 10 round before they drop whic his too much already, and then those bloody SPDs and Droidekas are nigh invulnerable. There should be 5 times as much Anti Armour ammo available in the levels as it is now because I cant make it without ammo cheats, there just no way I can make the Hangars on the ship levels without it.

I want prefer things to die when I fire at them. I hate it when I have to emtpy two full mags into an enemy to bring them down, it feels like hammering nails with a plastic toy hammer.

Id rather get swarmed by 20 weak enemies than painfully grinding down a big one.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

In fact droidekas are a joke. For some reason, their shielding seems to be much weaker at the rear. All you have to do is have it focus its attention on a squadmate (one that is preferrably behind some cover) and then circle it to get behind. Don't even bother shooting, just punch it to death.

Which raises another question. How the hell is a punch more damaging than a blaster shot? :devil:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It si a +5 vibro-punchknife of death. Ive noticed it too, I came yupon the method out of sheer panic, it works from the front too usually.

Most enemies like the trandoshan mercs(backpacks) have weakpoints you can shoot to take em down faster. The SBDs seem to lack any weakpoints, it seems like it doesnt matter where you shoot them.

But for the damage ratios of this game, Battlefront did it a lot better, it felt like your shots actually had effect.

What difficulty level are you playing on?

I played on easy and...well, just finished the game about a half-hour ago. Total play time was around 7 hours.

I only died a handful of times throughout, and never got into a situation that I couldn't stab/punch/blast my way out of.

And yes...the SBD's are bitches to take down...got to the point I'd just run up to them and continually bash them in the face just to get some enjoyment out of it.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Normal. It became a WHOLE LOT easier when I figured out there were other types of nades than thermal detonators.

But the "shots fired:damage done" ratio is still way too high.

SBD's are very very vulnerable to sniper fire. Hit the red glowing dots. There should be two: one on his chest, and the other on the headplate. Snipe either twice will take one down. I love the super vibro puinch blade of death though.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

I finished te Kashyyk level, we see Yoda say something and Wham! the game is...OVER?!!

I feel cheated. No big end boss, no big explosions, no nothing.. just blowing up some ship you never get to see come apart anyway. This feels like half a game, tops. What happened, did they run out of time and decided to skip the latter part of the game?

Yep. It looks like half-assed endings are the rule for SW games now. :p

Well, at least I didn't waste $50 on this one either.

I finished te Kashyyk level, we see Yoda say something and Wham! the game is...OVER?!!

I feel cheated. No big end boss, no big explosions, no nothing.. just blowing up some ship you never get to see come apart anyway. This feels like half a game, tops. What happened, did they run out of time and decided to skip the latter part of the game?

Does the game have any bosses? It's kind of unusual for that sort of game (it's normally a tank or something).

I've got such a huge rental backlog now thanks to discovering ShadowHearts..

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Nope. No real bosses. You have to kill a few tanks on your way to the objectives, but nothing special. You get to see

Grievous

and his ship, but you don't even fight him, just his uber-lame bodyguards.

And if by ending you mean a 20 seconds cutscene of the Republic fleet over Kashyyyk seen from the window of the dropship, and some lines from Yoda, then I guess it's got an ending. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Your reward for finishing the game is an ultra-lo res 40 seconds long interview with Temuera Morrison. Yay.

Nope. No real bosses. You have to kill a few tanks on your way to the objectives, but nothing special. You get to see

Grievous

and his ship, but you don't even fight him, just his uber-lame bodyguards.

And if by ending you mean a 20 seconds cutscene of the Republic fleet over Kashyyyk seen from the window of the dropship, and some lines from Yoda, then I guess it's got an ending. :p

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Your reward for finishing the game is an ultra-lo res 40 seconds long interview with Temuera Morrison. Yay.

Worth a

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Well, the game itself is not so bad. It doesn't compare to The Chronicles of Riddick, though, but it's mildly entertaining. If you are really bored and/or must try every SW game then go for it. Otherwise, don't bother.

Well, the game itself is not so bad. It doesn't compare to The Chronicles of Riddick, though, but it's mildly entertaining. If you are really bored and/or must try every SW game then go for it. Otherwise, don't bother.

It's a passable FPS, with cool moments...like when you see one of your squadmates ram a knife through the back of a trando's skull for the first time. :D

Weapons are remarkably weak, considering they're firing lasers. It shoudn't take 15 shots to drop a single Geonosian warrior. 3, 5 tops, would have made a lot more sense (Though I'm now certain that the idea is for you to constantly tell your squadmates to concentrate fire on the more dangerous foes)...on the subject of enemies...variety is a good thing, something the dev. team seemed to have forgotten when making the game.

Visuals are pretty good, and squad banter helps pass the time.

The ending...as with KOTOR 2 and Halo 2...was a dissapointment.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Although Im not satisfied with it either, I feel like i have to defend K2's ending. The idea is that the ending is everything that takes place from the battle of Telos to the final confrontation on Malachor, with that in mind it aint bad. In terms of closure though, its a disaster to "fade to black" without even having a final chat with your party members.

But if I was a dev, Id rather cut things from the middle of the game rather than skimp out on the ending, which seems to be standard procedure..

Although Im not satisfied with it either, I feel like i have to defend K2's ending. The idea is that the ending is everything that takes place from the battle of Telos to the final confrontation on Malachor, with that in mind it aint bad. In terms of closure though, its a disaster to "fade to black" without even having a final chat with your party members.

I think it would have seemed more complete

if rather than talking to Kreia which seems like part of the game rather than an end sequence it was dealt with after the fact with a Kreia voice over,

that would have been spooky.

Obviously better if it was animated, but even some still pictures with voice overs would have worked.

478327[/snapback]

Obviously better if it was animated, but even some still pictures with voice overs would have worked.

Yeah, some engine-generated anims like the sequence at the Jedi Council would have left a MUCH better aftertaste.

The extras are 3 lo-res movies, each unlocked after beating each of the 3 campaigns of the game. The movie is a making-of of sorts, the second one is a short documentary on how the development team became l33t SWAT units in order to better make the game, and the third one is the interview with Temuera. Overall, the extras suck. But then again, they are better than nothing. :)