Who are some of your favorite authors and books?

kumquatq3

Gabriel Garcia Marquez, William Faulkner, Alejo Carpentier, Kevin Anderson,

Vikram Seth.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

I was at the bookstore and was browsing thru some of Chuck Palahniuks' work. They had a few but no Fight CLub, which is kinda what I was looking for. Have any of you read the others? Are they worth buying?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Gabriel Garcia Marquez, William Faulkner, Alejo Carpentier, Kevin Anderson,

Vikram Seth.

I recognize both Marquez and Seth. Didn't Marquez write Chronicle of a Death Foretold? That was a really good book. I can't really remember why I recognize Seth though...

edit: just found it, An Equal Music, by Vikram Seth. Haven't read it though..

As far as your standard bustop reading goes, I adore smut. Not stuff that half-way requires some thought like Frank Harris' My Life and Loves. I am talking all-out hard-core blankety-blankin' like Caresse Crosby's Under the Roofs of Paris.

As for what else.. here are some quick ones that I haven't seen in the thread yet.

Pushkin - General lit

Donaldson The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever - Fantasy

Straub Ghost Story - Horror

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

I was at the bookstore and was browsing thru some of Chuck Palahniuks' work.  They had a few but no Fight CLub, which is kinda what I was looking for.  Have any of you read the others?  Are they worth buying?

The problem I have with Palahniuks work is that there is a point when he puts to paper an analogy or phrase so outlandish and ridiculous that I have to declare aloud "Bullsh*ts!"

Other than that, he is a fantastic pusher of buttons.. which may very well be the point.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.