Who are some of your favorite authors and books?

kumquatq3

If anyone has read it, thoughts?

Anyways, some of my favs, in no particular order:

Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club, Lullaby)

Bill Bryson (In a Sunburned Country, A Walk in the Woods, A Short History of Nearly Everything*)

Daniel Quinn (Ishmael, The Story of B)

Ernest Hemingway (For Whom the Bell Tolls)

Richard Dawkins (The Selfish Gene)

basically, I'm hitting people up for recommendations.

(Yes Phos, still getting around to "The Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy". I know, I'm a bad man)

Some favourites:

Fjodor Dostojevkij (current fave author!), author to some of the best dialogue I have ever read!:

Crime and Punishment

The Idiot

(The Brothers Karamazov)

Isabel Allende:

The House of the Spirits

Paula

(There's more, can't remember...)

John Steinbeck:

Of Mice and Men

In Dubious Battle

Yann Martel(?):

Life of Pi

Hemingway:

The Old man and the Sea

A Farewell to Arms

J.M. Coetzee:

Waiting for the Barbarians

Salman Rushdie:

The Ground Beneath Her Feet

...I read a lot...

Hrmm, My favorite series so far is George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, I've also quite enjoyed Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, and the Harry Potter books are surprisingly good. The Jack McKinney Robotech novels are what got me into books. The Margaret Weis/Tracy Hickman Darksword trilogy and various Dragonlance books have been good. I don't read much other than fantasy.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ive said it before and Ill say it again: I cant read. In fact, I have no idea what you're typing, and much less what kind of message if any Im succeeding to bring forth by my random klicking of keys. That any coherence is achieved at all is simply by a stroke of increadibly unprobable luck.

In a manner similar to this I read, or I think I read, JM Coetzee's "Disgrace" which has some remarkable writing.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay, but most especially the Fionavar Tapestry trilogy.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

reading is fun!! I think the last book I finished was Stephen Kings' the Dark Tower. And Vincent Bugliousis' Helter Skelter was one of my favorites. Oh and some Irvine Welsh as well. I remember reading the old Dragonlance series back in grade eight. Go Raistlin!!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

novels

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I have a bunch of friends who are dropping books offhere all the time, they are all addicted I guess! so it's hard for me to remember them all, let alone mention them!

I just read Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, which was actually, to my suprise, quite a good read! some of the conclusions are rahter far-fetched from time to time, but with a good deal of suspended belief, it's a fine book! ;)

but one of my all-time favorites must be James Joyce's Ulysses!

and two books from a Danish author .. Carsten Jensen - Jeg har set verden begynde (I witnessed the beginning of the world) and - Jeg har h

Fortune favors the bald.

Lord Dunsany:  King of Elfland's Daughter

Clark Ashton Smith:  Zothique cycle... and numerous other short stories, such as City of the Singing Flame.

I must commend you on your excellent taste in literature!

Thx

Most of the Smith/Dunsany stuff has been out of print and hard to come by, though over the last few years a handfull of small publishers have brought back most of Smith's major works(including a nice volume of poetry), if you can find their obscure websites...

I think someone re-released Dunsany's Jorkens, and that will likely be the next work I will persue.

In sci-fi I like Aasimov and AC Clarke.

In no particular order:

[*]Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers

[*]Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game

[*]George Orwell's 1984

[*]Valerio Massimo Manfredi's Al

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

''mister monday'' and ''grim tuesday'' by garth nixx

the ultimate fantasy book (more for children than adults)

i remember reading ''koko'' the other day by peter straub....i read a ''love scene'' part and i am now scarred for life.

Homage to Cantalonia- George Orwell

For Whom the Bell Tolls- Ernest Hemingway

100 Short Stories- Ernest Hemingway

Love is a One Eye Dog From Hell by Charles Bukowski

The Rum Diaries by Hunter S. Thompson

Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller

The Cosmic Serpent by Jeremy Narby

Journey to the End of the Night by Celine, probaly my favorite book

Franny And Zooey/ The Catcher in the Rye both by Salinger, also maybe my favorite

Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

J.R.R. Tolkien and I'm sure that theres alot more

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Tolkien, of course. The Stand, of course. Ender's Game, of course. All true classics.

Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series, Steven King's Dark Tower books, Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy and Liveship Traders trilogy, Terry Brooks' first Shannara trilogy, Elizabeth Haydon's Rhapsody trilogy... hmm I'm noticing a trend here. I also have fond memories of Isaac Asimov's robot novels, epecially the Elijah Baley detective stories.

Fight Club has been mentioned, but Survivor is another excellent Chuck Palahniuk novel. Christopher Buckley's Thank You for Smoking was really good, too, if you like heavy doses of sarcasm and irony in your reads. For classics, I liked Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa and The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, even though she gets ripped on a lot.

Nonfiction... hmm. I read a book called McCarthy's Bar that was funny and interesting. It's the story of a Brit named Pete McCarthy who wants to get in touch with his Irish roots, so he goes tramping around Ireland following his first rule of travel: If you see a bar with your name on it, stop and have a pint (or five).

The problem with college is it forces you to pack all your pleasure reading into three months out of the year.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

John Steinbeck: "Of mice and men", "to a God unknown"

Jos

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I've just finished reading Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny and I can say that the books 1-5 are (at a literary level) like KotOR 1 and books 6-10 are like KotOR 2; I can't recommend the last 5 books, they are good but they don't have the greatness of the first 5 and the ending is something like KotOR 2's showdown: our hero has to fight with the people who guided and supported him from the beginning and after the battle is over he walks away to his "castle" and that's it, we don't know what happened to the other characters he traveled with we can only imagine. As I suspected, Zelazny wanted to continue the story but Death (LucasArts for ktoor2) had other plans.

The story is somewhat reminiscent of Planescape: Torment (one phrase from the first 5 books: "There is a place where the shadows go mad"; no, the shadows aren't alive here and I don't know if these books were an inspiration for Chris) because almost all the main characters can travel from universe to universe by changing the world around them or by using magical items.

http://www.bookfinder.us/review8/0380809060.html

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/9923/amber.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-...onDate&n=283155

Other recommended books:

http://www.fantasyfreaks.org/fantasy/read.html

http://www.hpfgu.org.uk/faq/recommended.html

http://fan.theonering.net/lasselanta/books/recommend.shtml

http://66.193.230.227/~paulcas/favbooks.html

Sadly enough...I like several of the books Dean Koontz has done...mainly 'Twilight Eyes', 'Fear Nothing', and 'Seize the Night'. 'Midnight' was good to...though disturbing........the guy's weird, yet, oddly entertaining.

'The Lord Of The Rings' seemed to bog down too much in detail...but still, nice read if you can stomache 10 pages describing a specific event that only lasted for a few seconds.

And, lastly, my favorite series of books...fantasy books...a strange series called 'Xanth', written by Piers Anthony...so many, many puns.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast