Ravager = Star Destroyer?

Is it just me or does the Ravager in the cutscenes look very similar to a Star Destroyer? These ships are thousands of years of development apart.....

I could've sworn those are shield generators on the top of the Ravager......

If so......How is this possible???

Any opinions?

Hammer.

Well, it's not a Star Destroyer. The first Star Destroyer (Victory-class, VSD) was designed and constructed around the time of the clone wars. I suppose whoever designed the Ravager could've been inspired by the SDs in the movies.

...did you see any personal shields in the films. Or the EU novels.

Not in films or novels perhaps, but think of the Dark Forces series. It's a good excuse for making the computer game hero more resistant to blaster fire than the cannon fodder enemies. Think I might have spotted them on few comic books aswell.

Triangular shape just being a good design for a warship is a pretty good rationalization. You can think that the shape allows mounting your guns so that they have wide forward firing arcs, so the engineers who came up with both Ravager and SD were just being sensible.

SODOFF Steam group.

Leviathan should be a Rakatan design, in KOTOR1 they are described as ships of alien design.

the Ravager is a republic desgin and it really looks like an ISD (even too much in my opinion >_<)

i think both models where drawn starting from the ISD we see in the movies but they are not the same ship.

Is it just me or does the Ravager in the cutscenes look very similar to a Star Destroyer?  These ships are thousands of years of development apart.....

I could've sworn those are shield generators on the top of the Ravager......

If so......How is this possible???

Any opinions?

Hammer.

The short answer: yes, it is a Star Destroyer.

The long, complicate answer: uh... yes, it is a Star Destroyer.

2 on the Left: Leviathan (and Ravanger)

Right one: Super Star Destoyer (Couldn't find a normal one)

No. The Ravager and Leviathan are different vessels, from different classes. The Leviathan is supposed to be of rakatan design, manufactured at the Star Forge. The Ravager, being a Republic vessel, couldn't be of alien design. See the differences for yourself.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Databank calls Leviathan a former Republic ship, but I wouldn't take that as gospel. Those sith ships look too organic compared to other ships in the games. However, there is what looks like a sith ship floating among the debris around M5 on 1 cutscene. There's related discussion on Bioware's forum.

I think this is a pretty good Ravager/Sith ship comparison pic:

post-10039-1110312066_thumb.jpg

SODOFF Steam group.

You are thinking right, the Levianthan was a Republic ship, Carth served on board of it before Saul defected to the Sith.

BioWare did made changes so its not such as rip-off to the Star Destroyer, the Revenger is a near clone of a ISD.

drakron.png

again i'm quite sure that in KOTOR1 is stated that Revan's ships are of alien design.

the fact that Carth know that Saul ship is the Leviatan doesn't mean that this is automatically a republic ship.

Carth at the time of KOTOR1 have fought Saul for some years, that ship is also one of the most imporant ones in sith fleet, so is quite normal that he know the signature of that ship.

It happens even with real battleship, so i don't se it so strange.

I also agree that the BG of Saul that defeat and join Revan with his ship "the leviatan" goes against that and that is mostly an incoherence.

It could also be that he joined Revan with the original leviathan, but after Revan "conquered" the starforge they replaced all the republic ships with the new and more powerfull alien ones and some captains chose to keep the old name for the new ship.

Probably is a bit too much speculative and is more likelly that one of the 2 statements (Saul BG and ingame alien design) is wrong.

Zilod, please stop making stuff up.

The Levianthan was a republic ship, he turn it to Revan that used the Star Forge to mass produce then.

Only thing that come out of the Star Forge that from the Rakata were the Sith Fighters and some battle droids, even the "Sith Shuttles" were Republic transports.

drakron.png

again i'm quite sure that in KOTOR1 is stated that Revan's ships are of alien design.

The new ships, yes. However, Revan still had republic ships left from the Mandalorian wars unless he got rid of them.

I also agree that the BG of Saul that defeat and join Revan with his ship "the leviatan" goes against that and that is mostly an incoherence.

What? It makes perfect sense to me. Saul with his Leviathan fought in the Mandalorian wars like most of the republic did. When the Mandalorians had been defeated and Revan, Malak and a good portion of the republic forces had defected and become the sith, why couldn't Saul have defected as well?

It could also be that he joined Revan with the original leviathan, but after Revan "conquered" the starforge they replaced all the republic ships with the new and more powerfull alien ones and some captains chose to keep the old name for the new ship.

Or they kept the old ships. Just because there's a new design, it doesn't mean that it's better and that everyone will use it. Even apart from the fact that the Star Forge ships might not have been ideal in every situation (firepower, speed, manouverability etc. rarely mix in one single ship), the Leviathan still supposedly had its interdictor technology (i.e. pulling a ship out of hyperspace), which I don't remember hearing the Star Forge ships having. That alone would've made the ship worth keeping, and top-tier capital ships shouldn't be thrown away in any case.

not my fault if in KOTOR1 is said they are of alien design.

adding here.

if they are republic ships why we don't see a single republic ship of that class?

If that is a "common" republic design we should see some of them in both sides, expecially in the final battle where the republic use almost all the resources to attack the starforge.

there is not even a similar republic ship near that model

Rakatan have a superior technology, it makes quite sense that if they are Rakatan ships they will be superior to the republic ones.

why someone should use a biplane instead of a F22?

The Levianthan was a republic ship, he turn it to Revan that used the Star Forge to mass produce then.

Only thing that come out of the Star Forge that from the Rakata were the Sith Fighters and some battle droids, even the "Sith Shuttles" were Republic transports.

Drakron, please stop making stuff up.

It was clearly stated that Revan had returned to the Republic commanding a huge armada of strange ships of alien design. I could agree with you if there were other ships composing Malak's fleet, but there weren't. In all the scenes displaying the Star Forge there's always a swarm of those ships around.

And the Republic ships shown in KotOR (Endar Spire/Harbinger model) are nothing like the Leviathan. Obviously, Carth's dialogue about the Leviathan and his serving aboard that ship are a screwup on Bio's part. Simple as that.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Drakron, please stop making stuff up.

It was clearly stated that Revan had returned to the Republic commanding a huge armada of strange ships of alien design. I could agree with you if there were other ships composing Malak's fleet, but there weren't. In all the scenes displaying the Star Forge there's always a swarm of those ships around.

And the Republic ships shown in KotOR (Endar Spire/Harbinger model) are nothing like the Leviathan. Obviously, Carth's dialogue about the Leviathan and his serving aboard that ship are a screwup on Bio's part. Simple as that.

Have to agree with 213374U, the Star Forge produced ship like the Leviathan, whch was clearly stated that they were of alien design.

The Republic ship were like the one that Darth Sion uses when he attacks you at Peragus.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom