What is beyond the "Outer Rim"?

Where do you think Revan has gone?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think Revan has gone?

• A physical world with a higher tech-level
    • An physical world populated by powerful archaic races
    • A transcendent sphere of pure thought
    • The next level of consciousness
    • Total oblivion
    • The horror, the horror
    • I would prefer it to stay a mystery
    • Other (see my post below)

If you read any of the EU books, the 'Outer Rim' is basically the fringe of the known galaxy/extent of the Republic's control. A few books have characters venturing beyond the Rim (Starfighters of Adumar for one) and visiting unexplored planets there.

So my vote is on an ancient, powerful civilisation spanning a few planets, with immense riches.

i thought revan went to the unknown regions, which is completely different from the outer rim.

i could be mistaken though. in either case, it would make more sense that he went to the unknown regions, since thats basically (duh) unknown in terms of existing star wars data apart from a few references in some of the later star wars novels, whereas the outer rim has been documented various times in the eu.

i thought revan went to the unknown regions, which is completely different from the outer rim.

i could be mistaken though.  in either case, it would make more sense that he went to the unknown regions, since thats basically (duh) unknown in terms of existing star wars data apart from a few references in some of the later star wars novels, whereas the outer rim has been documented various times in the eu.

But the Unknown Regions are beyond the Outer Rim...which is what the title of this thread refers to...so you could also word it as 'What is in the Unknown Regions?'

But the Unknown Regions are beyond the Outer Rim...which is what the title of this thread refers to...so you could also word it as 'What is in the Unknown Regions?'

technically, it is. but so is tatooine, ryloth, sullust, dagobah, etc. the outer rim constitutes a vast amount of known planets, so it would be a better question to ask specifically what is in the unknown regions.

unless, of course, revan went to the corporate sector or the ssi-ruuk cluster, which are both, according to the star wars map, both "beyond the outer rim" as well. :thumbsup:"

i could be mistaken though.  in either case, it would make more sense that he went to the unknown regions, since thats basically (duh) unknown in terms of existing star wars data apart from a few references in some of the later star wars novels, whereas the outer rim has been documented various times in the eu.

Actually the Unknown Regions aren't 'beyond' the Outer Rim. If you look at a map of the SW universe in the NJO novels, you'll see the universe in all its glory. And before someone here complains - the maps are OFFICIAL, Lucas recognised.

To clear things up: Revan and Exile are clearly meant to be going to strange places where weird sh*t happens and common mortals do not dare to tread -a highly symbolical journey, in my opinion, but I could be mistaken here.

Personally, I don't give a d*mn whether this "place" that is their destination is located beyond the rim, below the rim or between the rim, in the dark places, unknown places, soft places or spooky places, in New York, London, Moscow or Berlin. I was more interested in what you expect or want them to find there.

But since this thread is public property, you are of course free to lead the discussion in whichever direction you desire. Just wanted to clear up any questions regarding the original intent and wording of the poll. :)

Yeah, and how do you make a Kotor3 with all that crap about higher evil beings? IMO, you would totally loose the true mood of StarWars by going down that line...

I have no idea on how they can even come close to follow-up on all those open plot-ends which are left over from Kotor2... :)

Yeah, and how do you make a Kotor3 with all that crap about higher evil beings? IMO, you would totally loose the true mood of StarWars by going down that line...

I have no idea on how they can even come close to follow-up on all those open plot-ends which are left over from Kotor2...  :huh:

Feel free to join the discussion about the applicability of continuity in KOTOR :)

Actually the Unknown Regions aren't 'beyond' the Outer Rim. If you look at a map of the SW universe in the NJO novels, you'll see the universe in all its glory. And before someone here complains - the maps are OFFICIAL, Lucas recognised.

Originally, the Unknown Regions were "beyond the Outer Rim" when they were first mentioned in 2nd edition of d6 RPG, I believe it was. Outer Rim is already rather uncivilized territory and Unknown Regions were supposed supposed to be unexplored/forgotten systems beyond that. It was not very clearly defined beyond that. Of course, someone decided to draw a map much later on and the map makes UR a big slice of the Galaxy. At least the explanation is pretty good: The region is still unknown because mapping hyperspace routes there is really hard.

I'm not relly complaining about Lucas revisionism, even though I love the old, RPG-based EU best. I'm just explaining why the "beyond the Outer Rim" reference is so common. That's how it was for a long time.

SODOFF Steam group.

Huh ? Did I miss something ?

As far as I understand Revan and the Exile went into unexplored territory. Somewhere far, far away from the known space is supposedly an ancient Sith empire and Korriban and Malakkor 5 are only border worlds which where abondoned long time ago.

Their journey is strongly symbolic. They leave all their worldly "possesions" to be cleansed to achieve enlightment, which they will certainly need since this "true Sith" are told to be incredibly powerful.

Their journey is strongly symbolic. They leave all their worldly "possesions" to be cleansed to achieve enlightment, which they will certainly need since this "true Sith" are told to be incredibly powerful.

Yep, that's what I believe as well. And therefore, I really hope that we don't see the two of them again, since playing spirit-entities or nascent godlings on some weird pseudo-metaphysical battleground is not what I call a fulfilling Star Wars experience. So let bygones be bygones, let Revan and Exile pass into the realms of legends and give us a new storline. >_<

It's really a shame that Obsidian was unwise enough to navigate itsself into a corner by having again a > level 20 character at the end. If they had planned accordingly and dared to disappoint the powergamers they would have scaled the game to be about 5-8 levels max, so you could play the exile in part III and would not cause headaches by either downgrading the exiles or having TWO characters which must be covered with different variables.

And I stronly disagree about abondining the present storyline. For better or worse, the deceided to make it an trilogy at the last moment and now I want to be able to learn the rest of the story. Otherwise TSL would eternally end in this unexplained black hole which is a shame.

Does anybody remember Bioforge ? They also had a cliffhanger ending but the sequel was discontinued by EA, therefore it irks me to the very day that I will never know what happend to my freaky character who managed to escape his prison at last second.

Star Wars offers many opportunities to make another RPGs in it, which don't have to be called "KotOR".

Who cares about the levels, that much? Do what Suikoden, Arc the Lad, Xenosaga and any other RPG with contining storylines do, just make the character strong but not max level, give em special items and the -unique- powers they gained during the last game but not the highest level, and then raise the level cap higher. It's not as hard as you guys are making it out to be.

What if I wanted to kill the other bounty hunters but still have the Twi'leks chase me?

Who cares about the levels, that much? Do what Suikoden, Arc the Lad, Xenosaga and any other RPG with contining storylines do, just make the character strong but not max level, give em special items and the -unique- powers they gained during the last game but not the highest level, and then raise the level cap higher. It's not as hard as you guys are making it out to be.

I agree 100%

Besides why should we even care if Revan and the exile start at lvl 5 for example??

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

As the map indicates, the outer rim is the external "ring" of the galaxy. Beyond it, there is nothing. In K1, Canderous tells you a story about how he and some of his pals followed "something" to almost outside the galaxy, and whatever is outside, it mustn't be pretty if even mandalorians consider it "suicide".

I have no idea on how they can even come close to follow-up on all those open plot-ends which are left over from Kotor2...  :ninja:

:-

I care about the levels. K2 is full of glaring failures when it comes to gameplay mechanics. The SW universe doesn't work as the Suikoden or whatever other fictional settings do. In SW, level 20 is the overall max. Palpatine, Yoda, and other SW gods are all level 20, and they don't get any more powerful. But it's not only the contradictions, it's the fact that the d20 system is unprepared to accomodate and balance that kind of powerlaming. But let's not turn this into a discussion about game mechanics. There are a lot of other threads about it.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Huh ? Did I miss something ?

Somewhere far, far away from the known space is supposedly an ancient Sith empire and Korriban and Malakkor 5 are only border worlds which where abondoned long time ago.

Yes, you do.

The Sith Empire was destroyed by the Republic in the Great Hyperspace War, the only reason Korrian is not a wasteland is because it was a wasteland that the Sith Empire used as Tomb world and nobody really lived the.

After they were gone so were the Sith Empire, the closest thing to another Sith Empire was Kun trying to rebuild it.

drakron.png

Guest Damar Stiehl

I wonder what state the Chiss civillization is in during KOTOR times.

Also, somewhere out there are the Ssi'ruuk and the Vong - after all, Canderous talks about an encounter with a coralskipper in the first KOTOR.

Also, somewhere out there are the Ssi'ruuk and the Vong - after all, Canderous talks about an encounter with a coralskipper in the first KOTOR.

So that's what it was. Damn, I must say I'm a bit disappointed by this. I was hoping they would have made up something new and interesting but no. They had to draw upon the unspeakable lameness of the EU. :-

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

So that's what it was. Damn, I must say I'm a bit disappointed by this. I was hoping they would have made up something new and interesting but no. They had to draw upon the unspeakable lameness of the EU. :-

We can't know for sure if it was the Vong or something else.

(I really hate the idea of the Vong)

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

Remember that Tatooine was just discovered, so the Unknown Regions are much much much more expansive then the maps show, plus may include Outer Rim. I'll elaborate more in an edit later.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."