I like single player just fine

^ I like the fact that you refer to 'humans' as an entirely different entity! :)

but yes it's a big difference to play with other people! but you don't need internet for that .. do a LAN party!?

Fortune favors the bald.

• 2 weeks later...

I dislike mmorpgs because they're essnetially just expensive 3D chatrooms with the ability to hack n slash stuff with your friends. Mmoprgs are about as much roleplaying as CS was a tactical military simulation.

I hate them because a lot of resource is beign wasted on this garbage, that could have been spent on developing good single-player CRPGs.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Occasionally playing multiplayer with a few friends is fun...but I'm not very into the concept of MMRPG's either (money's not the issue for me). Every single one I've tried, I end up going off by myself, refusing all the "Party? PARTY?" requests, and play until the game becomes too hard to go it alone and quit. heh

I like having the MP environment, where things change, patches are loaded all the time etc,, and there are people around if you want to play with others, but most MMRPG's mostly 'force' you to play together and that I don't like. Something in-between would be nice.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

yeah, i think mmorpg are that kind of thing right now. Perhaps, they will evolve into something more unmunchy, but not right now.

But if we are talking about multiplayer in general, not only rpgs, then I would say that strategy-games are obsolete if not in multiplayer mode. That's just obvious. Computers are just TOO dumb. And they can't be any smarter, despite the efforts. It can only happen if someone will invent an artificial intelligence, but that's not going to happen anytime soon, i guess.

3dshooters - same thing here. Well, bots there are a little more challenging than in strategies, of course, but again only vs newbies, who can't yet shoot good enough. Bots in quake3/unreal/cs are just too dumb to have any tactics. And tactics rule, believe me. 3dshooters are not all about accuracy, it's also strategies and tactics.

So, the only way for a good experince is to play online, or at a lan-party.

RPG is, perhaps, one of those rare genres that are still better in single-player mode, than in multi. Along with quests and the like, but they are minority right now.

I'm not good enough/fast enough to fare well in MP strategy, otherwise I'd like them more. :/

I agree about the AI of computer opponents - even if it's pretty good, it's still predictable after a time, unlike the human mind. :p

I think RPG's are difficult MP wise because of they way they're generally written these days - having to make a decision about a quest, say, or how to answer an NPC - where the group has to come to an agreement about how to handle such things before doing it. It's easier to do that over a tabletop face to face, or alone, than over the net, or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

First, a little background: I played UO from '97 to 2000, then Dark Age of Camelot, Star Wars Galaxies, EQ II and now I'm messing around with WoW. Also dabbled a bit with multiplayer mode FPSs

Quite frankly, I'm starting to get sick of nowadays MMOGs, and more and more finding myself to return to my "origins" as an hardcore single-player gamer. I want full-fledged out plots(not some boring background stories posted on a website), interesting NPCs (not generic speaking machines) and whatever constitutes a strong and driven CRPG (or even a good ol' fashioned point-and-click adventure game, for that matter).

I had great moments in UO, because, yeah, it was my first MMOG, but also because even now it's the one which gives you the greatest freedom. Thanks to the game personell, also, there was nice little quests and subplots inside the game itself, so it never got boring regarding the story.

The purpose of getting together with your friends is nice, yeah, but within a meaningful environment, not some generic grinding. Hence, I would prefer a single-player game that also allow multiplayer(with a good implementation and balance, possibly).

Dunno, maybe I just moved on and now my tastes are a bit different, but that's how I feel now. The only other MMOG I'll try out in the near future will be Tabula Rasa 'cause it's going to be a creation of Richard Garriott.

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

I remember when UO came, the expectations were so high "Imagine the possibilities!" we said. Look at what it turned out to be...

mmorpg arent dead, they were stillborn.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "