Shadow Hearts

Since someone asked on the Suikoden thread here are my initial impressions.

It's Dark, the box didnt come with a rating so when someone got torn appart in the opening scene it pretty much set the mood for the game.

The main character Yuri is a harmonixer, someone who can morph into the form of various monsters. He's also a bit of a tortured soul who makes Squall look like a poster child for positivity.

Roger Bacon is one creepy guy. Probably because he's just so normal looking.

Onto the judgement ring.

Rather than just select attack or magic (or whatever) on selecting an option you get a ring on screen with different shaded areas. You then have to press the X button as the needle moves around.

Hitting more than one area results in a combo, and getting the needle in the critical areas results in higher damage.

Each character has their highlighted areas in different places and each skill and or spell does also , makes getting into a rythm harder. You just have to "feel" the timing and it seems to work out.

Cant switch it off, so if you have slow reactions, this probably isnt the game for you.

best line in the game so far.

"If anyone is going to eat her it's going to be me"!

Yuri talking to two demons.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

[spoiler]Spoilerish text...[/spoiler]

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Oh I knew there was something odd about him when Yuri puts his fist through the back of his head. He just comes across as a really normal english gentlemen which I just find errie.

Great game so far, not so sure about some of the dialogue. But it's a small thing and much less bothersome since its only text.

No prob I thought you might get a kick out of it :thumbsup:

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

This game was such a let down for me. I heard a bunch of praises about it, so I bought it on a whim. The first thirty minutes of the game had me intruiged. As the game dragged on, I hated the story more and more, and I kept waiting for something original or interesting to happen in the story. Alas, I got to the last guy... with that empty feeling of "that's it?... **** this game".

If your looking for a good jap console rpg, I'd recommend looking elsewhere in actually original and great games like xenogears, chrono cross, shin megami tensei, disgaea (in gameplay, though it does have a funny story), Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant story, breath of fire (3,4, and 5) etc.

There are so many more, better games than this one.

Didnt stop playing at the end of shanghai did you?

Overall it was very good indeed. If the judgement ring dosnt bother you that is.

The sanity element adds an extra level of tactical awareness, because someone going nutty in battle can really screw things up. Most characters will not have enough sanity to last a full boss battle. ;)

The whole Bacon thing gets cleared up later in the game.

And there is a big twist at the end.

Afterwards it summarises the characters fates like Suikoden (only in a bit more detail) and the ultimate end is kind of bitter sweet.

Can't wait to start part II.

I used up all my seven gates on the penultimate boss so the end boss took about a hour and half. ;)

478327[/snapback]

I'll have to see if they even bother to port it to the EU and if they do we'll probably get a non-optimized crappy version as usual. Maybe it's for the best since I'm starting to lose interest in JRPG:s...

Well the problem is that I don't think they even released the first one in Europe as is the most usual outcome concerning most JRPG:s that doesn't have the words "final" and "fantasy" in their title.... Too bad since it sounded very monty python in some parts..

I'v heard a lot of good things about 2 :-

Two is super dooper good.There is just so much stuff packed in there, it's got puzzles. A really good modifiable combat system (with the option of an autoring for people who dont want to press buttons).

It's also got some seriously disturbing characters. And some classic lines that just make your jaw drop in disbelief.

It's everything the ideal sequel should be and more besides.

478327[/snapback]

Hmmm...I'm going to have to give this game a try. I've seen the first one for dirt cheap at a few places, but I've always passed simply because I was worried I would hate that battle ring thing. But maybe I'll give it a go.

You cant switch off , or modify the ring in part I. But you can slow it down with items if it gets too much.

Dont know if you have played Gladius ? But ShadowHearts isnt as bad as that was for timing.

478327[/snapback]

No, never played Gladius, but I think I'll be OK with the ring. We'll see. As long as the story is good, it'll keep me playing even if the battle ring gets on my nerves.

Soon as I'm finished with Front Mission 4, I'll be getting this game. :p

Part II is such a HUGE improvement over part one. It's not that part one is bad, it isnt. It's just that in part II they seem to have pulled out all the stops and corrected everything that was less than perfect in the first game. The game also comes on 2 disks as opposed to a single disk and there is a lot more depth to the storytelling and cutscenes.

478327[/snapback]

• 2 weeks later...
I'll probably ebay it.

I think I'll wait till I get the first one before playing the second.

If you can get it then I would. I dont think you will miss out on a lot if you cant though because the second one covers the events of the first in great detail.

478327[/snapback]

I've seen it on ebay for about 20 dollars+, so I'll probably do that and play it first.

From what I understand Shadow Hearts the first ties in with Koudelka (which is actually the first in the series) so I'd kinda like to see how that storyline ties up.

I may even replay Koudelka first ;)

Hey, did you know there's gonna be a 4th game? Shadow Hearts: From the new world?

And I've heard there's going to be a movie made too :)

No, never played Gladius, but I think I'll be OK with the ring. We'll see. As long as the story is good, it'll keep me playing even if the battle ring gets on my nerves.

Soon as I'm finished with Front Mission 4, I'll be getting this game. ;)

Ack, how did I miss this? :)

Front Mission 4 is like awesome :D

Hey, did you know there's gonna be a 4th game? Shadow Hearts: From the new world?

And I've heard there's going to be a movie made too :shifty:

No as a matter of fact I didnt. Good news though.

Should make a great movie, though the rating would be a bit in question.

478327[/snapback]

Bumping because.... I'm starting my massive playthru :D

Starting with Koudelka... then Shadow Hearts.. then Shadow Hearts 2 :)

As for the movie: It's still in the formative phases, I'm not even sure the deal with Aruze is worked out yet :rolleyes: